Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 AM

231 posts, read 709,592 times

Advertisements

Move is only 350 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,345,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Can anyone think of cheaper options?

Have you considered moving by Conestoga wagon?

It's how people used to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Seriously, Mongo... Reading classes... You're never too old, and most classrooms are ADA-compliant, so you can go in your Hoveround.

Ouch!!!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM

231 posts, read 709,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Have you considered moving by Conestoga wagon?

It's how people used to move.
In the shop. Broken axle. Sold the oxen to pay for the rest of the move and for my typhoid medicine.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:37 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,753,116 times
We did pods for our most recent move ; it was 435 miles. Yes, we needed 4 pods as we are a family, but so far so good. it helps also that our teenagers helped with loading and lifting.

Then we both drove our seperate cars.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 AM

11 posts, read 17,993 times
My advice...do what feels right to you. Having said that....here's what I would do:
Get a plane to drop me off pretty darn close to my stuff. Rent an Enterprise car (they pick you up). Hire movers to load stuff onto a rented moving truck and drive car back to drop off location. (that is only if you have no friends that will help you out) Drive stuff and cats back to wherever. Done.

Places like upack and pods are pretty expensive. You can get free quotes online from upack. After you have a quote you'll know what price you are trying to beat. That way anything that comes out cheaper is a deal. Hope that helps.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 947 times
Why you are dealing with all those stuff.It is easy to use some really affordable services like Dolly.com , Geteasymove.com and Lugg.com

It is like uber for the moving. I am always using such services.

In Chicago i am using Easymove : App connects you with professional, reliable , local movers anytime you need it. It's the smartest alternative to traditional movers (https://geteasymove.com)

In California i used Doly.com and Lugg.com : Download app and request movers.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:10 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,154,269 times
I am in a very similar situation and also running numbers.

Its 100 round trip in gas for my car (its 4 hrs and 15 min one way)
150 or so for a 6 x 12 uhaul trailer, one way, maybe 3 trips for everything? Maybe 2?
Pay someone to help me load - off craigslist or facebook market place, not professionals
Need some to help unload

I just did the above for the junk from my storage unit (stupid I know, no comments please)
Now I have the apartment and 2 cats.

2 men and a truck quote me 3500 to 5,000 dollars! And that was with a cap on the boxes.

Waiting for a quote from road runner where I move everything but the furniture.

It is cheaper to rent a uhaul if you return it in town. So I could rent a truck big enough to move most of it, hire labor myself on both ends, drive it up, drive it back, drop off and take whatever is left in a trailer with my car if necessary and the cats. But I'm not sure I want to drive a truck?
I don't know, this may be an option I havent looked at truck rental prices yet. I have to be out by the end of the month so the clock is ticking.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:35 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,268,250 times
Am enjoying this thread since I am in the same situation, being in the decision mode for an upcoming move.

I have purged and purged but there comes a time decisions must be made logistically. So I will follow the thread. Right now I am working on the outside and expect to load up in the fall.

Surprising how much individual packing boxes cost etc.

Does anyone know a way to purchase moving boxes at a good price?

thanks

Old 08-05-2018, 01:43 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,223,052 times
I wish I would have thought of posting my boxes on Craigslist when I unpacked but did the next best thing & have them to my manager. I chose to buy new boxes at Wal-Mart, just because it was a cross country move.

Other people have suggested Craigslist. You can check there & see if anyone has boxes to give away or resell.

Another thing, the little store by my old place saved boxes for me that large water bottles came in. They were sturdy & had the holes in the side for carrying. They were a little smaller than my moving boxes but not by much. You could also check at a liquor store, their boxes would be strong.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:27 PM

1,300 posts, read 841,529 times
I second the suggestion of liquor store boxes...good size for books...also, if you are not on your local "buy nothing" group, join it! May be based on location, but ours has frequent posts for free moving boxes...both seeking and giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues