Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times

Advertisements

When the OP says the job situation in Portland "gives him pause," he is absolutely correct. While Portland may not have the highest unemployment rate in the nation, it has tremendous amounts of competition for the few jobs available that other cities do not have.

Also, comparable jobs in other cities pay more than in Portland. And qualifications are higher. The more common jobs like wait staff, clerical, sales, etc are in high demand and do not pay a living wage. It is not advisable to move to Portland without either a job or a good deal of savings or both.

I would definetly choose the place with better job opportunities. St Louis also has everything else the OP says he is seeking in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
You are in similiar situation as me.....I am stuck in Los Angeles area (county)......I feel if I am there much longer I am going to blow my brains literally out!!!! Cannot stand anything about it.....left Massachusetts 9 yrs ago due to abusive marriage and divorce......
I have paid a pretty price for leaving.....as I am trying my level best to get back......being that the house I have to sell has lost my value and greater Boston has kept most value...

So....you must do what I am doing, chose the place....you can only move one place not 3. I constantly had about 5 locations.....Oregon being one of them.......it is hard to move somewhere you have never lived or have any contacts. The reason I am coming back here is due to familiarity and having lived here before....not affordability....but still not as bad as Cali....

Go visit the two places, narrow down to two.....dont know how old you are. Dont waster time, see which area has better job opportunities.....that is what I am doing. I know I can get job here in MA......get your ducks in a row......get companies lined up, resume all up to date.....you know what to do.....if you have family/friends yo can stay with in area of choice while you look......Do you have to sell house in San Diego???.....If you do,,,,,that could be show stopper......I am telling you all this cuz its what I am doing....following my heart....but my head is following right behind.....

Best of Luck...

Quote:
It's so funny that you're dying to get out of LA and I am dying to get in! I moved away from the city in December and have regretted every single minute of it. To me it's the greatest city on Earth and I am FINALLY getting to return next week. I dream about it I am so excited!!! I have been stuck everywhere from New Orleans to Orlando to now Phoenix since then and believe me - there is NO place like LA! I feel like if I don't get to the only place I've ever considered home (and I only moved there in 2005) ASAP I'm going to explode. I'm so tired of waiting and my patience is wearing very thin, but financially I haven't been able to return. Here's hoping that you're able to get out and I'm able to get back in soon!
I wish both of you the best of luck in your finding your best places. I think your posts are such good examples of how different places are ideal for different people. I am hoping my move ideally from Portland to Cleveland will be just what both my heart and head are looking for.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,333,146 times
Does it have to be St. Louis or Portland? Aren't there any other cities that might compare to Portland? Have you researched other cities that may have some of the same amenities?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:00 PM

593 posts, read 1,408,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Does it have to be St. Louis or Portland? Aren't there any other cities that might compare to Portland? Have you researched other cities that may have some of the same amenities?

It doesn't have to be just those 2 places, but I have enough trouble deciding between only 2 places that opening up my choices to the entire US or world would be disastrous and I would probably stay here another year just trying to sort out my options. Meanwhile my savings dwindles and dwindles...

Just as soon as I decided, yes, St Louis sounds great, sign me up! my uncle said he would probably help me move if I went to Portland, but not STL.

So I'm back to square one. With another con and another pro to add to the list...

Phoenix is also another possibility, it would be the easiest, but I refuse to move back there for the 6th time. REFUSE!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesgirl View Post
I have been stuck everywhere from New Orleans to Orlando to now Phoenix since then and believe me - there is NO place like LA!
I've been stuck many a time in Phoenix, I feel for you, get out while you can!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,769,873 times
Our hearts said France, but our heads said Pittsburgh. Why ; because we have two boys who are still in school and we figured the language would be a problem.

So we closed on a house in Pittsburgh last week. We havent moved there yet as our stuff is in transit. The kids love it there, loved the schools, the friendliness of people.

France will be there when the kids go to college.

We have no jobs, but we are ok and will get something. Sometimes the head wins out.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,260,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Yes that is very logical! I wrote the two cities on pieces of paper, put them in a hat and chose St Louis. It seems that all arrows are pointing to St Louis, the logical choice...
That is not logical. Here are some questions for you to consider.

You plan to go to school. What are you going to study? Which schools are good for that? Which schools might have an environment that is right for you? Which schools have a price that is right for you? Will your educational plan lead to a higher-paying career, and what is the time-frame?

You need a job in either place, although not right away. Do you have skills and a good work history? Do you need a full-time job? A high-paying job? You mentioned that you thought people in Portland are working low-paying jobs (of course, some people are, anywhere). Would that type of job be sufficient for you? If you moved to St. Louis, could you get a better job? (Are you qualified for a better job but don't think there are any available in Portland?)

You need a place to live. Are you going to have a roommate? Rent a room in a house? Rent an apartment? Have you looked into these things in both places? If you choose St. Louis, would you be staying with relatives, or does it just provide a sense of security that they are nearby? Have they offered you a place?

Will you have a car? Do you need to? How is public transportation in those two cities?

You mentioned "weather" as a con for St. Louis. What about it? Fear of tornadoes? Dislike of thunderstorms? Hate the heat? Do you like Portland's weather, or do you just like that it is not as hot? Have you been in the heat and humidity? How does it make you feel? Which would be more likely to keep you from being active (physically, socially, - in any way): heat and humidity or cold dampness? Would you rather be in a sauna or in a refrigerator?

What about geography? Do you care about being close to the coast? The mountains?

Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,596,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
It doesn't have to be just those 2 places, but I have enough trouble deciding between only 2 places that opening up my choices to the entire US or world would be disastrous and I would probably stay here another year just trying to sort out my options. Meanwhile my savings dwindles and dwindles...

Just as soon as I decided, yes, St Louis sounds great, sign me up! my uncle said he would probably help me move if I went to Portland, but not STL.

So I'm back to square one. With another con and another pro to add to the list...

Phoenix is also another possibility, it would be the easiest, but I refuse to move back there for the 6th time. REFUSE!
Wow, 6 times. I just got paroled from that place after years there. There was some good stuff, but once was enough. I'm hoping anyways. The desert does have a way of pulling you in though...

Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Wow, 6 times. I just got paroled from that place after years there. There was some good stuff, but once was enough. I'm hoping anyways. The desert does have a way of pulling you in though...
'Paroled' is a very appropriate term for your time there and mine too. It's been a rollercoaster decade! I grew up in Phoenix, had family there, I went off to college in another state, then my mom got sick with cancer and she was the main caregiver for my grandma who then needed to live in a nursing home. Then they both passed away within a year of each other. I loved it growing up, but now every time I go back to Phoenix it seems worse and worse. But I'm not sure if my feelings were also colored by my mom and grandma both being sicker and sicker every time I went back, so I can't separate the two in my mind now. Some people absolutely love it out there.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
That is not logical. Here are some questions for you to consider.

You plan to go to school. What are you going to study? Which schools are good for that? Which schools might have an environment that is right for you? Which schools have a price that is right for you? Will your educational plan lead to a higher-paying career, and what is the time-frame?
Thanks for listing all those out, believe me, I have turned these things over and over in my head and on paper and in a spreadsheet, at this point, people are just telling me to just make a damn decision!

The school in St Louis for what I would like to study (physical therapy assistant) only graduates 59% of the students, however they accept everyone. The school in Portland graduates 100% of students, was among the 1st schools to be accredited for this program in the 70s, but is somewhat selective. I will receive in-state tuition, due to reciprocity with California, in Portland but not in St Louis. If this plan doesn't work out, say I don't get selected to the program, one of my dream jobs is located in Portland. Plus I have a relative who will help me move to Oregon, but not MO. So I think all points are now tipping the scale towards Portland and following my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues