U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM

9,066 posts, read 9,494,503 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move from the midwest to the SW (specifically from Des Moines to Las Vegas). My questions are about timing, for those who have made a BIG MOVE.

Here's what I have been doing...I visited Vegas twice last fall and again this spring. I will be back again this fall. If all goes well, I will be moving Jan-Feb 2013. On my next trip in the fall, I plan to spend most of my time driving around and looking at apartments to get a feel for what is out there. I also have a realtor I can contact to show me rental houses. Even though the same properties won't necessarily be available when I get there, I can at least get a feel for where I might want to live.

In the meantime I have a house to sell, and will be spending the next few months getting it ready before putting it on the market.

Okay, here's what I want to know: For those who have made a move like this, when is a good time to start actually job hunting (as in actually applying?)? I have been looking at job sites online, but since it is still 6+ months out it is obviously too soon to start applying. Also, the company I currently work for is worldwide and they ARE located in Vegas, but the right position has to be open for me to transfer. I have not told my employer yet. When is a good time to tell them? I know that they would be supportive and would actually help me with the transfer process if that is a possibility, but I dont want to tell them too soon. It also makes it a bit trickier until I know my house is sold, as I obviously wont have a real moving date until that happens.

So, how did you do it?

I understand everyone's situation is different, but I am just interested in hearing stories from those who have done it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 PM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
In the meantime I have a house to sell...
No. Not in the "meantime".

First, foremost and before ANYTHING else can even be considered beyond
the conversational level you have to sell the house.

Plan to sell everything else you own as well as a part of this preliminary effort.
Or at least everything that won't fit inside a cardboard box.

Make yourself as ready to get out of Dodge as quick as can be done...
and with as little baggage as possible.

Once you are under contract, in escrow and have a closing date...
THEN you can start to look for specific job opportunities and/or housing situations.
Even then though... look for the already furnished and plan to put most of your "stuff"
into storage for the first year or so until 1) you find a good job 2) you're sure about it.

WHEN when you know how much cash you'll have (or don't) from the sale you can get
serious about sending your stuff to whatever location has the best balance between work
opportunity and personal taste that suits. But the job still comes first in that calculus.
---

Unless you have some super special skill the odds of getting a good job before you're living
in that new city are thin at best. And if headhunters aren't aren't after you now...
then you probably don't have that sort of skill. Even if the clouds part and a super great
opportunity is handed down to you on a stone tablet... until you sell you can't (easily) take it.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-03-2012 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No. Not in the "meantime".

First, foremost and before ANYTHING else can even be considered beyond the conversational
you have to sell the house. Sell everything else you own as well.
Or at least everything that won't fit inside a cardboard box.

Once you are under contract, in escrow and have a closing date...
then you can start to look for specific opportunities.

WHEN when you know how much cash you have (or don't) you can get serious about sending
your stuff to whatever location has the best balance between work opportunity and personal taste.
But the job still comes first in that calculus.
Absolutely. This is what i expect to do. Circumstances that I don't want to share here prevent me from selling the house before a certain date later this year. So, that is why I said "in the meantime" meaning while I am doing all of mynother research I will be getting the house ready. I can't see into the future but knowing what my.mortgage is and what my house w will potentially sell for, I have a rough idea of how much money I will have. (Enough to sustain myself for a few months in a new place) this is all subjective and not exact yet, but I do at least have a rough idea.

I also have already begun the process of the purge of 90% of my stuff.

I was just wondering in what order other people did things.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,249,167 times
We just moved to Pittsburgh from NY which was a 465 mile move. We decided in Dec 2010 that we would try to be out of NY by June 2012. However, we had three homes and a business to sell. From Jan 2011 thru June 2011, all we did was purge things. Dump as much as possible. We put house number one on the market in March 2011 and had an offer very quickly. In August 2011 we put house number two on the market, had an offer in December 2011. In October 2011 we put the business on the market and had a contract in December 2011. In April 2012 we put house number three on the market and had an offer in 15 days.
Business closed in March 2012, house number one sale was cancelled by buyer on the day before the closing. House number 2 closed in April 2012 and we closed on house number 3 last week. House number 2 is back on market and we are hoping for an offer soon.
In April 2012, we got the first of four pods. That contains nothing but records that we have to keep for 7 years. Pod number 2 has things we could live without for a few months, pod number 3 has desks, tables, winter clothes, etc and pod number 4 has immediate stuff and will be delivered on Sunday.
Between Dec and May we made 4 trips to Pittsburgh, checking out schools and homes. We looked at 4 schools and had the kids give us their opinions. The decided that the first school was their favorite and so we concentrated on looking on homes in that area. Unfortunately dh did not get a transfer as no position opened up. But thats ok, we can live on our savings for a while. We were prepared to do that anyhow and a job would have been a bonus.
Once the kids go back to school in August, we will look for jobs. It is important for us to have them settled first. Luckily we can do this.
If you want any more info, please let me know. I know how stressful it is.

Sorry its long.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We just moved to Pittsburgh from NY which was a 465 mile move. We decided in Dec 2010 that we would try to be out of NY by June 2012. However, we had three homes and a business to sell. From Jan 2011 thru June 2011, all we did was purge things. Dump as much as possible. We put house number one on the market in March 2011 and had an offer very quickly. In August 2011 we put house number two on the market, had an offer in December 2011. In October 2011 we put the business on the market and had a contract in December 2011. In April 2012 we put house number three on the market and had an offer in 15 days.
Business closed in March 2012, house number one sale was cancelled by buyer on the day before the closing. House number 2 closed in April 2012 and we closed on house number 3 last week. House number 2 is back on market and we are hoping for an offer soon.
In April 2012, we got the first of four pods. That contains nothing but records that we have to keep for 7 years. Pod number 2 has things we could live without for a few months, pod number 3 has desks, tables, winter clothes, etc and pod number 4 has immediate stuff and will be delivered on Sunday.
Between Dec and May we made 4 trips to Pittsburgh, checking out schools and homes. We looked at 4 schools and had the kids give us their opinions. The decided that the first school was their favorite and so we concentrated on looking on homes in that area. Unfortunately dh did not get a transfer as no position opened up. But thats ok, we can live on our savings for a while. We were prepared to do that anyhow and a job would have been a bonus.
Once the kids go back to school in August, we will look for jobs. It is important for us to have them settled first. Luckily we can do this.
If you want any more info, please let me know. I know how stressful it is.

Sorry its long.
Thanks. It sounds like you had a similar plan to mine. Thankfully I only have one house to sell!

Good luck to you!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
De-clutter, plan, research and de-clutter somemore. Even though I had gotten rid of tons of stuff a few yrs. prior to the move, there was still tons of more stuff to sell, pack or give away. Less stuff =less stress.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
De-clutter, plan, research and de-clutter somemore. Even though I had gotten rid of tons of stuff a few yrs. prior to the move, there was still tons of more stuff to sell, pack or give away. Less stuff =less stress.
I agree 100% I have spent the day today going through stuff and threw away a bunch and launched some eBay auctions. Feels good!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 AM

15 posts, read 18,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post

Yes, I do agree with you. Planning, De-cluttering, storage. All these help in a good way to make good move.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonyMikal View Post
Yes, I do agree with you. Planning, De-cluttering, storage. All these help in a good way to make good move.
Minus the storage for me. I'm not storing anything. If I cant take it, I dont keep it

Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Minus the storage for me. I'm not storing anything. If I cant take it, I dont keep it
I would love to have done that, but not an option for us. Our goal now is to have the pods emptied asap so we dont have to pay for storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues