Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM

17 posts, read 89,292 times

Advertisements

OP....so what happened? What did you decide to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
I am now 63, but at 24 I moved to Montreal and loved it. I met a guy as adventurous and free spirited as me and we drove across Canada to the Yukon. In Whitehorse we applied for a mining job at the Cassisar Mining Company at Clinton Creek. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!! Very, very cold...but very, very exciting. It typically got to -60 to -65 in February. I learned about Gortex and other forms of below zero clothing.
I did not work at the mine...kept in the kitchen washing dishes, cooking, serving...for 8 months.

He worked in the 'mill', picking up large bags of unprocessed asbestos and placing them on a conveyor belt. I used to love to watch buckets of that white stuff (asbestos...ha) being carried down to the Yukon River, placed on a large steam ship, and brisked away to Whitehorse and Anchorage...from where it was dispersed throughout the world. It thrilled me to know that asbestos that I witnessed being blasted free from the mine with dynamite, processed at the Mill, and shipped off was being made into all kinds of products...I imagined a Chinese woman using an oven mitt made of asbestos from Clinton Creek.

We rented a place in Anchorage, AK for a year or so. . .then got a hankering for the East and drove back. It was great to visit his sister in Toronto, and Ottawa was the sweetest city I have ever been in. Back in Quebec, we stayed in a cabin in the Boise area of the province...it belonged to a guy who was still working in the Clinton Creek mine.

We looked at land and houses along the St. Lawrence River. We finally settled at his parents' for 3 months, then found a house in Rimouski, Quebec. He stayed there until he felt he was not quite ready for settling down. We returned to our city apartment and others began to move in...much to my chagrin. So I went 'home' to visit my family (big mistake) and he applied at the University of Quebec to study Political Science. So I decided to return to a state school near my home in the States; I went into Elementary Education on top of completing my degree in English Literature.

Your post just reminded me, in a heartbeat, how wonderful it is to be young. DO NOT WASTE THESE YEARS. Do what makes you happy. In your case, it is to return home (wherever 'home' is to all of us)...mine was the opposite...to leave 'home' and find the World.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues