U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 85,964 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I'm moving from Boise to Seattle in two weeks and am booking a moving truck. Penske, Budget and U-Haul are all coming in at about the same price so I'm going with Penske because of the rave reviews on this site. We have a one bedroom apartment and aren't moving any appliances or washer/dryer. I'm also going to be towing a little Toyota Corolla behind it.

Here's my dilemma:
The 16' and 22' trucks are both the same price for the move. Actually all four trucks sizes are renting for the same rate. We moved successfully with a 16' truck a year ago and still had space left over. To me the 22' is appealing because the Diesel engine seems better for towing and would get better gas milage than the 16' gas. I also like how they have cruise control which is a BIG plus in my book. I'm nervous though about maneuvering a truck of that size with the car on it once we get to Seattle. I'm also worried about having SO much space left over in the truck that nothing stays in place.

Any advice? Are the diesels really that much better for towing and do they get considerably better milage than the gas engines? Is a 22' truck with trailer going to be impossible to drive through traffic? We'll plan on timing it to avoid the rush...

Thanks in advance. Any pointers would be well appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM

8 posts, read 28,186 times
Where in Seattle are you going? When I moved here, I had a 16' truck and I had a really difficult time getting it down the alleyways in Ravenna... but it depends on what part of town you're going to.

Also, I averaged around 9-10 mpg on a 1500 mile trip in the 16' gasoline truck. And the no cruise control SUCKED. My ankle swelled up really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isangpogi View Post
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I'm moving from Boise to Seattle in two weeks and am booking a moving truck. Penske, Budget and U-Haul are all coming in at about the same price so I'm going with Penske because of the rave reviews on this site. We have a one bedroom apartment and aren't moving any appliances or washer/dryer. I'm also going to be towing a little Toyota Corolla behind it.

Here's my dilemma:
The 16' and 22' trucks are both the same price for the move. Actually all four trucks sizes are renting for the same rate. We moved successfully with a 16' truck a year ago and still had space left over. To me the 22' is appealing because the Diesel engine seems better for towing and would get better gas milage than the 16' gas. I also like how they have cruise control which is a BIG plus in my book. I'm nervous though about maneuvering a truck of that size with the car on it once we get to Seattle. I'm also worried about having SO much space left over in the truck that nothing stays in place.

Any advice? Are the diesels really that much better for towing and do they get considerably better milage than the gas engines? Is a 22' truck with trailer going to be impossible to drive through traffic? We'll plan on timing it to avoid the rush...

Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgest220 View Post
Where in Seattle are you going? When I moved here, I had a 16' truck and I had a really difficult time getting it down the alleyways in Ravenna... but it depends on what part of town you're going to.

Also, I averaged around 9-10 mpg on a 1500 mile trip in the 16' gasoline truck. And the no cruise control SUCKED. My ankle swelled up really bad.
Going to Magnolia. Seems like it's a balance between 10 hours of uncomfortable driving without cruise control versus a few minutes of maneuvering through tight city streets where my wife could get out and spot me if needed... Thanks for the input

Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 PM

504 posts, read 2,160,583 times
If both rentals are the same price, go with safety. You'll be crossing a least three passes and two ridges with elevations over 2800 ft. which means that you not only have to pull the car up the hill, but you have to keep it behind you going down. A diesel truck will perform better because it has more torque.

The high desert between elevations is rolling which means that you'll probably have to deal with a lot of 'bounce' during the trip. This will be minimized by a long profile.

All Penske trucks allow you to secure the load as tightly or as loosely as you want. Tight is always better.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM

As far as gas milage goes... Would it be correct for me to assume that the gas truck, loaded up pretty well with a car will get in the lower range of it's fuel milage estimate while the diesel will perform at least in the middle range of it's milage estimate?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 PM

I have no idea. That's something to ask the rental company.

For an inexperienced driver trying to use a loaded truck to tow a car through the mountains, however, my personal preference would be the longer length truck, regardless of the whether it's gas or diesel.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:58 PM

571 posts, read 1,079,266 times
Quote:

Here's my dilemma:

I actually did this, but with a car carrier, not a tow dolly.

I drove a Penske 22 from Tuscon AZ to Boone NC, with many little sightseeing jogs through small towns. I loved it! The Penske people are fabulous. I needed maintenance twice and I was quickly routed to the nearest garage. One was a "minor" vibration in the front end and they had me in the nearest shop and swapped out both front tires immediately, no discussion needed. The other was changing out the air cleaner after I left the desert.

This was a five day jaunt, and the only trouble I had maneuvering was having to back it up with the carrier attached, and getting caught up a narrow cul-de-sac. In one instance I had a trucker back it out for me, and I managed to get out of the cul-de-sac on my own. Just remember not to park where backing up will be needed.

I loved the diesel, but know that it has a speed control governor and you cannot go over 70 mph (not that you should with a car behind anyway), and keep it topped off. It has a safety feature to prevent you from running out of fuel. If it goes below 1/4 tank, it will beep at you until you get more fuel! Running out a fuel in a diesel is a serious and expensive thing. The fuel system can lock up and need to be bled out. This was a $600 fix in a tractor that I had awhile back!

I would go for the diesel over the gasoline engine any day! Just make sure your load is secured well in that big box! There are plenty of tie rails to secure stuff to. Get you some nylon (non stretch) cord to use. Do NOT use bungees to secure your load! It wouldn't hurt to use ratchet straps on large items. I actually prefer the straps for added security. Having your load break loose on an interstate ramp would be bad.

Have fun and be safe!

Tracey

Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the tips! I took the advice of RikkiTikki and Hymnsinger and reserved the 22' Diesel. Found out my auto insurance won't extend to the truck so I had to tack on $70 for the damage waiver. Hopefully some of that added fee will be cancelled out by the fuel savings in the diesel. I know I'm going to have to stop at weigh stations but is there anything else I need to know? Will I be charged at the weigh station? I'm driving through Idaho, Oregon and Washington.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM

There is no charge to stop at weigh-stations or state ports of entry. And you only have to stop if the sign says ALL TRUCKS must pull in. You may be waived through by the station operator.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 AM

2,737 posts, read 1,157,411 times
Quote:
As far as gas milage goes... Would it be correct for me to assume that the gas truck, loaded up pretty well with a car will get in the lower range of it's fuel milage estimate while the diesel will perform at least in the middle range of it's milage estimate?
Regarding economy, you will probably get a little better mileage with the diesel truck. However, the price of diesel fuel generally runs 25-50 cents per gallon higher than gas, so the overall cost will be about the same.

The power will be about the same with a gas or diesel truck.

An important factor in towing, is the weight of the vehicle DOING the towing. I would assume that the 22' truck will be heavier - maybe even have a heavier chassis. That would make the towing MUCH more stable, and would seal the deal for me.

Maneuvering the truck in the city is going to be a pain in the butt, whether you're driving a 16 or a 22. Either way, you just have to do it. Depending on where your drop-off site is located, could you stop there, unload the car & drop off the trailer, and have your wife/girlfriend follow you the rest of the way in the car? It's the trailer, not the size of the truck, that is going to make city driving more difficult.

All that said, I think I'd be leaning toward the 22' diesel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues