U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2012, 04:47 PM
 
11 posts, read 13,573 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have "toured" around the United States on Google Earth, looked at the top 25 largest cities in the US on City Data and made a head to head comparison on Excel, researched endlessly on my husbands career field through tons of magazines and sites, and my husband and I STILL can not decide where to move too.

We are newlyweds from Chicago Illinois (currently) but within the last year we have lived in Seattle then before that in San Diego. The only reason we came back to Chicago was to finish our Associates degrees and they will be completed by the end of this month and we will be ready to move in August, however, as you see, we are without a destination, yikes!

Here is some info. on what we desire:

- IT careers (Information Technology)
- A city
- Rent in the city limits for an apt or house for $850 or less. This is a tough one, but it does exist
- Near water or mountains (preferable water). We love hiking, camping, spelunking, diving, snorkeling, and just about anything outdoors. The water out west was always too cold and harsh for us so we prefer warm clearer water
- Lenient on weather.
- Somewhere safe enough to take walks at night
- Pet-friendly.
- We like to avoid high college areas or areas with alot of military. (He used to be a Marine until he finished service last year and just wants to be away from it)

If anyone has any friendly input on our situation please respond. Were pretty open to places, except Miami. That was our original choice but after visiting there we decided it was not for us because it was too hot and (hate to say this) english felt like a second language, which my husband can not tolerate. It's a terrible thing to say and it should honestly be on the list above bc how frustrated he gets. NO he is not racist but after being in so many countries for so long he is ready to just feel normal for a while, so please leave any hate comments off this thread due to this statement!

Thank you for your time and were looking forward to suggestions/questions/comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2012, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
1,520 posts, read 2,251,385 times
Reputation: 790
i think you need to find a job somewhere first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Eugenius
593 posts, read 1,232,354 times
Reputation: 580
Yes, let the job make your decision for you, if possible. You could find 100 potential places and go crazy trying to weigh the pros and cons of each one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 PM
 
11 posts, read 13,573 times
Reputation: 13
Finding a job is definitely one of the top priorities when looking to move. We certainly did not want to look at 25 cities for their job opportunities but we have done Charleston, NYC, Manchester, Boston, Pensacola, San Jose, and Houston. Although we did factor that in originally, we decided that the career was going to have to take place after the bachelors and we have a guaranteed income no matter what through the military and for schooling. For buying a house after a few years we want to be happy somewhere and that place where we are happy have a workforce that fits our needs. I know the top ten places for IT right now but none of them really fit us. EX: Boston is waaayy to cold for me, Nashville is too small and away from water.. did I mention why water was a big deal to me?!? Half of my life is dedicated to my love for diving. It's the industry I want to get into for my personal career. Mixing a techi with a diver is a whole mess for the living environment.

The question that we struggle answering is:
Where is a safe city by an ocean and close enough to mountains/desert to be able to go on day trips hiking and camping?

It would appear our answer is obviously San Diego or Seattle, but we want to branch out somewhere new. Maybe we ran ourselves out of options for our lifestyle needs but we want to exhaust all avenues before returning to one of them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Eugenius
593 posts, read 1,232,354 times
Reputation: 580
Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 AM
 
3,929 posts, read 7,490,833 times
Reputation: 4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by marions22 View Post
The question that we struggle answering is:
Where is a safe city by an ocean and close enough to mountains/desert to be able to go on day trips hiking and camping?
Ocean, mountains, and desert: Los Angeles (or Pasadena) - but housing is more than you want to pay. Go farther inland and it's cheaper, but also hotter, smoggier, farther from most of the jobs, and you don't have the big city.

Do you want mountains and desert, or is that mountains or desert? Desert means you'll be in the west, but if you want warmer water, that takes you east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Warren, OH
2,748 posts, read 3,322,944 times
Reputation: 6467
Quote:
Originally Posted by marions22 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have "toured" around the United States on Google Earth, looked at the top 25 largest cities in the US on City Data and made a head to head comparison on Excel, researched endlessly on my husbands career field through tons of magazines and sites, and my husband and I STILL can not decide where to move too.

We are newlyweds from Chicago Illinois (currently) but within the last year we have lived in Seattle then before that in San Diego. The only reason we came back to Chicago was to finish our Associates degrees and they will be completed by the end of this month and we will be ready to move in August, however, as you see, we are without a destination, yikes!

Here is some info. on what we desire:

- IT careers (Information Technology)
- A city
- Rent in the city limits for an apt or house for $850 or less. This is a tough one, but it does exist
- Near water or mountains (preferable water). We love hiking, camping, spelunking, diving, snorkeling, and just about anything outdoors. The water out west was always too cold and harsh for us so we prefer warm clearer water
- Lenient on weather.
- Somewhere safe enough to take walks at night
- Pet-friendly.
- We like to avoid high college areas or areas with alot of military. (He used to be a Marine until he finished service last year and just wants to be away from it)

If anyone has any friendly input on our situation please respond. Were pretty open to places, except Miami. That was our original choice but after visiting there we decided it was not for us because it was too hot and (hate to say this) english felt like a second language, which my husband can not tolerate. It's a terrible thing to say and it should honestly be on the list above bc how frustrated he gets. NO he is not racist but after being in so many countries for so long he is ready to just feel normal for a while, so please leave any hate comments off this thread due to this statement!

Thank you for your time and were looking forward to suggestions/questions/comments!
I do but it's not anything like Miami. Wilkes-Barre PA. Not a big city but a cool, arty, rust belt rebound vibe.

Rentals in your price range are abundant. Beautiful historic district. Surrounded by mountains and nearby lakes, and rivers. Everyone Kayaks on the Susquehanna. There is hiking all over - three state parks are near by. Camping is popular and Harvey's Lake is 15 minutes away.

Google these places and see what you think. Check out Wilkes-Barre, Harvey's Lake, Kingston, Forty-Fort, and Wyoming PA on city data.

You can buy a nice house here for under 100K and a city loft with river views, granite kitchens and gleaming hardwood for 150K.

You can rent for under 700 a month. Heat included.

If you have questions send me a DM.

I am a transplant and I love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 AM
 
709 posts, read 1,975,822 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by marions22 View Post
... Charleston, NYC, Manchester, Boston, Pensacola, San Jose, and Houston. ...
Pensacola will be hot and is a Navy town. Houston is hot and you will feel like your are in a foreign country unless you are in high-priced white-bread suburbia on the outskirts of town, which is not what you wanted. Not to mention if you are downtown you will be very far away from nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,299,532 times
Reputation: 3517
Quote:
Originally Posted by marions22 View Post
and my husband and I STILL can not decide where to move too.
You're not having trouble deciding where to move to. That would suggest that you have two or more cities and can't decide on one. But it sounds like you have no cities. And that makes perfect sense because not many cities match your criteria.

The warm, clear, blue water can only be found in Florida or the gulf coast.

Since you want mostly English speaking and warm clear water, the answer is clear.... Clearwater, FL.
I didn't suggest Tampa because of the large AFB there.

you're not going to find mountains in Clearwater but there are some cute hills in the area to the north and you can be in the north GA or weestern NC mountains in about 8 hours by car. TPA is a great airport with numerous flights (thanks to tourism) and is easily accessible from clearwater so you can fly out to some mountainous place pretty easily.

Your big problem with that area is going to be finding a job. That's why I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Status: "On The Lookout" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,394 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Reputation: 31943
Quote:
Originally Posted by marions22 View Post
Finding a job is definitely one of the top priorities when looking to move.
NO. Find a job is THE priority when looking to move.

You have flexibility in where to look for a job (subject to skill/competition)....
but once you have a solid offer the looking is over.

The rest of your wish list/pipe dream will have to be worked in around the edges.
In a few years you can repeat the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top