U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM

90 posts, read 245,072 times

Advertisements

We just moved 305 miles with a U-Haul and didn't not have the best experience. It was cheaper/bigger than other companies so that's why we chose it. We were supposed to pick it up where we lived at 7:30am and the day before we got an email saying we had to pick it up in a town 45 minutes away and not until 2:30pm! We were livid. Luckily we could get it by 10, but still had to drive further than expected to pick it up not as early as we wanted. We had a confirmation email saying everything was all set to go; but after that email and we called the lady who said that the location is not guaranteed. Just FYI!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 PM

3,150 posts, read 7,224,789 times
Well, it was a great move! I guess my expectations were so low it was easy to have a good experience

The truck ended up being a 2011 model, 20k on the miles, and had a new truck smell. Ended up getting 8.7 mpg with a 20' truck filled up towing a car for a 350 mile move with rolling hills.

When we returned the truck the lady did say we were lucky with the new truck because that is not par for the course. Never the less it was a great trouble free move.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
JH6

1,333 posts, read 2,606,582 times
I just rented a ford van from Uhaul last week for a local delivery.

Truck was brand new with 800 miles on it, YMMV of course.

I walked around the lot and none of the trucks looked old and beat.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM

171 posts, read 602,809 times
I've decided to go with Penske for my long distance move. I need to keep the truck for few extra days, and U-Haul told me that they cannot guarantee it. It's "subject of availability". Penske gave me a truck with unlimited mileage for date range that I requested, and the price was lower than U-Haul...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues