U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 PM

28,399 posts, read 61,782,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Most of the time a person will have an attachment to their hometown. I think that's natural, especially if it's where you spent your childhood. That being said, you can always make a new place home if it fits for you. And when you need a break from your new home you can go back to your old home for a visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWolfe
But why had he always felt so strongly the magnetic pull of home, why had he thought so much about it and remembered it with such blazing accuracy, if it did not matter, and if this little town, and the immortal hills around it, was not the only home he had on earth? He did not know. All that he knew was that the years flow by like water, and that one day men come home again.
(From You can't go home again)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 PM

833 posts, read 1,466,799 times
The old saying-----" you can never go home again ".....has a lot of truth.

I make ny " home " wherever it is I have re-located to.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM

11,789 posts, read 26,707,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
The old saying-----" you can never go home again ".....has a lot of truth.

I make ny " home " wherever it is I have re-located to.
I agree with this. So to answer the OP's question yes you can feel at home wherever you relocate. It may just take time until you get settled in and meet friends.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,445,996 times
Absolutely. Home is wherever you make it. A house is just a place to hang your hat, and park your things.

I think that a lot of people move to places for the wrong reasons, missing the vast differences between their new home and the last home. Moving from the eastern US to the western US is not just a long distance, it's a long distance in terms of culture, lifestyle, weather, architecture, vegetation--pretty much everything you can think of.

Not to sound harsh, but if people can't make their life enjoyable in a new home, the larger part of the problem, is them. Granted, there are adjustments that have to be made. I do think that some people are unwilling to make or accept adjustments, and they eventually fail when relocating.

Also, it's not that uncommon for people to leave their anchor city, struggle to get back to that city after leaving, then upon returning to their anchor city, realize that they had it much better elsewhere. I know people like this personally, but I see quite a few discussions to that point, on this site.

It's important that people look at the positive points of their current location, because a lot of times, memory can be selective. People want to get back to Philadelphia or Boston or DC, but once they get back, they remember why they left in the first place, and they wish they never went back. Sometimes, leaving is a one-shot deal. When people move cross country, fail, then return to their anchor city, they may not be able to afford the cost of leaving another time.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM

47 posts, read 79,203 times
When I had to move away from my home state sixteen years ago I shed bitter tears and was sure I would be miserable and never find new friends. Now I have just moved again and have left behind probably the best sixteen years of my life, wonderful friendships and many activities I was involved in. Who knows what new adventures and experiences lie in store for me in my new home. I have moved from Va to WV and now California. I must admit that I have a very tender and homesick part of my heart for my home state, which is Va. So far I love California but I will never forget my beloved Va and the beautiful seasons. Nor will I forget the wonderful times in WV.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,774,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I am basically talking a new state or country. Will you always feel a "home" attachment to where you lived the majority of your years? For those who move around all the time, the question probably wouldn't apply. For instance, I just moved from MI to NV and I hear this all the time where people move back home stating that they just didn't feel "at home".

Human nature?
You do feel the attachment, but it's mostly "in your head." I am learning this now, the hard way. Memories are there from the past, but they're almost always better than the now living reality. Like we're living in a dream, when we think of the past, good or bad (nightmares), but seldom, if ever, the now REALITY. I just moved back to the East, originally from there, another city though, and it's not home. I see the trees, the deer, all of it, the people, but can't relate to them as "home." It's the weirdest thing, too. I realize home is where you feel the best.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,945,896 times
My idea of a home is where the heart is.

Why???

Even if you have that huge big ideal house you have always dreamed about & poured your financial investments & ideals into.... should God decide to take that away... (like in a natural disaster)
If you & your family is safe... one can always restart & rebuild.

It is not about that "material" that house...
Its about that soul (yours, your mate, that of your blood).... that home for that soul.
That good health for that "home" = that body (yours & your family).

View from a HO 2x over....
House is replace-able... that "home" (family & self aka "life") health of soul is not.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 AM

833 posts, read 1,466,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Absolutely. Home is wherever you make it. A house is just a place to hang your hat, and park your things.

I think that a lot of people move to places for the wrong reasons, missing the vast differences between their new home and the last home. Moving from the eastern US to the western US is not just a long distance, it's a long distance in terms of culture, lifestyle, weather, architecture, vegetation--pretty much everything you can think of.

Not to sound harsh, but if people can't make their life enjoyable in a new home, the larger part of the problem, is them. Granted, there are adjustments that have to be made. I do think that some people are unwilling to make or accept adjustments, and they eventually fail when relocating.

Also, it's not that uncommon for people to leave their anchor city, struggle to get back to that city after leaving, then upon returning to their anchor city, realize that they had it much better elsewhere. I know people like this personally, but I see quite a few discussions to that point, on this site.

It's important that people look at the positive points of their current location, because a lot of times, memory can be selective. People want to get back to Philadelphia or Boston or DC, but once they get back, they remember why they left in the first place, and they wish they never went back. Sometimes, leaving is a one-shot deal. When people move cross country, fail, then return to their anchor city, they may not be able to afford the cost of leaving another time.

Great observation ( especially the part about selective memory )................Redwolf

Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,382,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace omalley View Post
When I had to move away from my home state sixteen years ago I shed bitter tears and was sure I would be miserable and never find new friends. Now I have just moved again and have left behind probably the best sixteen years of my life, wonderful friendships and many activities I was involved in. Who knows what new adventures and experiences lie in store for me in my new home. I have moved from Va to WV and now California. I must admit that I have a very tender and homesick part of my heart for my home state, which is Va. So far I love California but I will never forget my beloved Va and the beautiful seasons. Nor will I forget the wonderful times in WV.
Nice to have the memories and the experiences!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 PM

7,190 posts, read 12,581,379 times
I grew up in the military so never had an answer in college or grad school when people would ask "Where are you from?" (When I was a kid I thought that was such an odd question -- didn't everyone move every couple of years?! :-) )

I've lived all over and it sounds trite but wherever I am is "home" at that time -- as others have said, it's more a state of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or