U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 06:37 PM

18 posts, read 75,110 times

Advertisements

My current apt is bedbug free. My new apt is bedbug free- it's a new apt and a friend of mine lives there- it is bedbug free.

I'll be moving like I always do- DIY with a U-Haul truck. In the past, I just threw in boxes, shopping bags into the truck without issue. But with bedbugs coming back I'd like to take some precautions.

I plan to pack everything in boxes and just stretch wrap the bejeezus out of them. Would this be the best way to prevent anything from getting into my stuff?

20 in. x 1000 ft. Stretch Film-5005002 at The Home Depot

Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,487,231 times
It would make sense to spray the U-haul well before you start to load it.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 PM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
Most Uhaul places that sell packing supplies sell very inexpensive plastic mattress covers to place your mattress in while you move it.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 PM

521 posts, read 3,939,998 times
Save your money. Stretch wrap is completely useless against bed bugs.

Cimex lectularius
are drawn to their hosts by the warmth and CO2 most of their unsuspecting victims emit in their normal household environment. The tiny parasites are attracted both to the heat signature and pheromones of human and animal body chemistry especially at night.

The thousands of tiny little critters disturbed during the process of a move flock to the smell of a possible blood meal in the dark confines of an enclosed truck. Not only can they easily navigate through unsecured plastic sheeting but they're small enough to crawl through the teeth of zippers on some of the cheap mattress and clothes protection bags.

Check the uHaul rental agreement before you spray the bed or any equipment inside the truck. Some of the more potent pesticides used to eradicate bed bugs are highly toxic to some people and animals. Some companies forbid their use. You could be held liable if someone become ill because of an application that violated the contract terms.

Check out this article and the related bed bug resource information listed at the bottom of the page.

Moving? Cheap bed bug protection | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,318,973 times
I don't know where you're located but bed bugs can't survive extreme heat. Most parts of the country now are so hot, you can close the door of the van and it becomes an oven inside.
In fact, that's a commonly suggested way to sanitize your luggage of bedbugs is to leave the suitcases inside of a hot car for a little while. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,673 posts, read 10,828,629 times
I hear they're in the giant metros more than anything? Don't know how true that is.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 9,582 times
Be sure to pack all of your goods in tightly wrapped non-infested blankets and bubble wrap!
[URL="http://www.baltimoremd-movers.net"]www.baltimoremd-movers.net[/URL]

Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,482 times
Last time I moved, I hired "Two Men and a Truck", a month later, I found bed bugs. They were either already in the house I rented, or they came from the moving company. I threw almost everything away & what I did keep, I sealed in plastic with diatomaceous earth. I didn't sleep for days, and when I did fall asleep, it wasn't until it was daylight. Every speck of lint I saw, I checked with a magnifying glass to make sure it wasn't a bed bug. It makes you crazy. I'm moving again & paranoid about getting bed bugs from a uhaul. So, I've taken the following precautions: I've taken apart all my furniture, placed the pieces in large contractor garbage bags, dusted with boric acid and diatomaceous earth, & sealed the bags with tape. After that, I put them in plastic bins, and cardboard boxes when I run out of bins. When I get the uhaul, I'll set off a bug bomb for fleas/bed bugs prior to loading. I live in Florida, so I'll let the truck sit out in the heat for a couple hours. When I unload the truck, everything will go in my garage & I'll set off another bug bomb. Cardboard boxes will be unpacked in the garage & no cardboard boxes come into the house. Cardboard makes excellent hiding places for bed bugs & roaches. When I get to the new place, I try to seal baseboards, electrical outlets & light switches with caulk, so if I did accidentally bring one in, they won't have hiding places. I also keep all furniture away from the wall and use climb up interceptors & bed bug detectors. I also put a mattress encasement on my mattress. Even then, I'll still probably change the sheets daily & wash in hot water & spray everything down with isopropyl alcohol every night before bed. I'll also drink some tonic before bed because there's quinine in tonic. There's no proof that quinine kills bed bugs, but if it works on plasmodium spp (a parasite), I'm thinking it couldn't hurt. It's a small price to pay to be able to sleep at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or