U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM

595 posts, read 2,220,188 times

Advertisements

Moved out the first time when I was 18, then back for about a month, then out again for about a year, then back for another month until I left for the AF at 19. Been out ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 04:38 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,431,075 times
I spent most of my high school years wanting to leave home. When I graduated I was out. It had been a home in a small town, I did not have a car of my own and the buses to NYC were more than walking distance away. I had to leave to get employment. I did that and put myself through school nights. I was never sorry to have left but knew I had the cushion to come back if need be. I never did.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,130,686 times
18. One month after high school.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,303,083 times
Fourteen. Never lived at the family home after that.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:10 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,165,986 times
24, but then I moved back a bit, and am now living on my own (well with roomates) again because I was bored of the city I grew up in and wanted to move to another one.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,986,754 times
I moved out when I joined USMC at 17.

Two of my kids moved out at 15.

brushrunner

Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 PM

423 posts, read 535,118 times
I moved out a month after I turned 16 and had found a job. I was entering my junior year in High School. Minimum wage was about $2 and change.

It was a tough reality when I realized if I was unable to work due to sickness that there would be no money. I started to take better care of my health. Stopped smoking. Began to learn about eating healthier.

I finished High School. I put my self through college, working two to three jobs and attending class year round. My school years did not include proms, spring break excursions, etc.

When I finished college it seemed like a vacation to only have work! I continued working my butt off - figured that level of energy can only last so long so might as well maximize it! I saved every penny I could, invested and started an IRA. Best decision I ever made, since health issues have made work in my 40's and 50's haphazard at best.

Moving out young allowed me to understand how to make hard and smart choices. I can live well on very little and know that a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans regardless of whose name is on the label!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,124,217 times
I moved out of my parents when I was 22. However, i moved in my (at the time) my boyfriend, now husband and his mother. We lived there for a few years, and then i was 25 when we got our first place together.

Everyone is different though. I had a friend who didn't want to rent an apartment and saved up a lot of money and bought a condo. She was about 32 when she moved out.

A friend of mine is 34 and still lives at home. She doesn't want to have a room mate, and she doesn't want to live alone. She is dating this guy, so we'll see what happens from there, but I think she will only move out and live w/ him if they become to that point.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 AM

76 posts, read 76,835 times
I moved out at 18 when I put myself through college. Then moved back for a year when I was 20 and on a leave of absence from school because I had a baby. That one year at home was really helpful at a time when I really needed the family support (becoming a single mom, leaving an unhealthy relationship, dealing with court with my ex, etc.) plus there was always someone available to watch my son when I had to work which allowed me to work more hours and save more money to get back on my feet when I moved out a year after he was born. I'm 24 now.

It seems like in general the kids who grow up living very comfortable lifestyles are the ones who stay at home longer. For me, that was never really a choice, even if I had wanted to do that. My parents consider me welcome at any time, but the reality is that they could not afford to help me with any sort of living expenses and moving back home would not be comfortable for me. Even during the one year that I went back, it involved living in a very crowded 800 sq ft, 2 bedroom house with both my parents, my teenaged sister and my son. I spent that year sleeping on the couch in the living room with my son's crib next to me. As helpful as it was that I was able to be there, it was not ever a viable long-term solution.

I feel like there are a lot of people still living with their parents that have never tried moving out on their own, just out of comfort (or fear of stepping outside of the comfort zone). However, at the same time, with the high cost of living in certain areas, and the current job market, I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with people either continuing to live with their parents longer term or moving back in with their parents. Though, I do think that if they live at home long term and have never tried moving out, it would seem too sheltered, and I don't think that it is something that I personally would ever be able to do or be happy doing (even if it were under more comfortable circumstances).

Also, in general I see moving back in with parents as different than never having moved out - because if moving back in, they have at least the experience of living on their own and I really don't see anything wrong with accepting help or support when needed, if it is available.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 AM

2,777 posts, read 3,020,301 times
17(joined Army)
19 (did tour-moved back)
20(left for college)
23(finished college-moved back-got first "real job" then moved out again, for good)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or