U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM

300 posts, read 354,219 times

Advertisements

I was 21 when I moved out of my parents' house, although I was already in college and also earning some money by myself since I was 18. I was allowed to move out only because I got married. Different country, different times, and the fact that my parents were more 'conservative' than most (sigh...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,479,913 times
My husband and I were both 17 (I lived in Australia, he lived in the U.S). I just turned 30 and he is 26. I had just turned 22 when I left Australia and my family entirely and moved to the U.S on my own. So although DH and I are older than the OP, we aren't too much older than the OP's coworkers. They are definitely 'old' to still be at home, in my opinion!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 12,888,322 times
I was 20 when I moved out the first time. That was after my college career didn't last (year and a half). I moved when my girlfriend told me "Guess what I found out at the doctor today?". It's safe to say her deputy sheriff dad wasn't too happy. This was in the 70s when you "had" to get married. I was back home after the divorce 2 years later. Just stayed there 3 or 4 months till I got a job in a town 20 miles away. Close enough to come home for a great meal every now and then, but was on my own.
But I'm back home again. Different circumstances though. My mother died and my dad didn't want to live in a house where he could still see her in everything (she died 2 weeks after their 66th anniversary) so he moved too. Deeded the house to my wife and I. We're here to take care of anything he needs, plus I was looking forward to moving back to my hometown.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,963,415 times
I was 24 when I finally left home for good...not just home but the left the city and state....ended up leaving KY and working in Chicago and then California.

Had to do it since there was no work in KY back then (this was that early 80s double-dip recession)... after a year after college, no work, so had to leave town. Thats just the way it is.

I think, in normal times, most people probably leave home in their early 20s (after college) or right after High School (which would be late teens).

I think you want to be independent when a young adult. Doubtfull anyone willingly stays at home, dependent on their parents, in that age range,

Last edited by Dayton Sux; 09-04-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 03:11 PM

16,416 posts, read 26,122,343 times
I moved from Michigan to Miami when I was 20.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,423,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
I moved out a month after I turned 16 and had found a job. I was entering my junior year in High School. Minimum wage was about $2 and change.

It was a tough reality when I realized if I was unable to work due to sickness that there would be no money. I started to take better care of my health. Stopped smoking. Began to learn about eating healthier.

I finished High School. I put my self through college, working two to three jobs and attending class year round. My school years did not include proms, spring break excursions, etc.

When I finished college it seemed like a vacation to only have work! I continued working my butt off - figured that level of energy can only last so long so might as well maximize it! I saved every penny I could, invested and started an IRA. Best decision I ever made, since health issues have made work in my 40's and 50's haphazard at best.

Moving out young allowed me to understand how to make hard and smart choices. I can live well on very little and know that a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans regardless of whose name is on the label!
My story is so much like yours, but I had full time jobs and went to college at night, and started college later, when I had saved a bit of money and had a secure job.

My husband, though, boarded away at college and had all the fun social life that college brings. I ended up much more serious than he, who has a light heart and a great sense of humor. I attribute much of that to a well rounded life, having time to play and smell the roses. With me (and you, I think), it was planning study periods during any spare time and dreading when I had to work overtime which meant I had to stay up later to keep up with my studies.

I'm sorry about your health issues.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,423,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
So what does everyone think is the appropriate age to move out and if they pass that appropriate age, does that make them a cast out?
I think a person should be planning on moving out after they graduate school. I think at that point they should be actively seeking a job or jobs that will give them the money they need to move. If they are lucky, they'll find such a job. There is this thing about men in Italy who stay home with mommy until they meet a girl and marry. After marriage, they are like another child, expecting the wife to care for them the way mommy did. I don't know if this is still happening, but it is exactly what NOT to do, in my book. A kid, if reared correctly, should long for independence and to feel the pride in being self reliant.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 5,146,449 times
I was 17 - that was the year I graduated from high school and went to college. Did go back home for 2 summers, then that was that.

I'm with those who simply don't understand people who stay with their parents past high school/college - I guess that's 21.

Being poor and struggling and experiencing new things when you're young is part of life - part of growing up. I don't think life would have been the same if when I was young and getting started I hadn't 1) shared a tiny 2 br apartment with three other girls, 2) rented a room in a family home - Italian Catholics, very different from my own family, and 3) rented a room in a rooming house, with alcoholics, crazies, the elderly, new immigrants and other college students in the other rooms. Learned a lot and got many great stories out of all of that. And survived just fine!

MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS' HOUSE IF YOU'RE OVER 21!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 34,199 times
Moved out at 16- married my high school sweetheart at 18 - Starting nursing school -Have our own home and no babies! .. besides the ones with fur. I like to think I turned out okay thus far! Love my parents but love them more when I'm not living with them

Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,469,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I graduated from high school and went to visit relatives in California for a month and forgot to pay June's rent. I returned June 30 and my stuff was on the carport and the locks had been changed, so I had just turned 18.

I started paying rent to my mother when I was 15, bought all the groceries and paid all the car insurance. It was cheaper for me to be on my own.
That is just nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My family had the same house on the lake for over 43 years...We built on to it and eventually it had 9 bedrooms...It was wonderful- I could leave for a year or two...a week--- or ten years - going home was always an option...I remember living with a woman on the west coast...I did not want to be there....so I said out of the blue- Drive me to the airport...I had a small bag and the clothes on my back...As the sun was coming up I landed the Toronto airport...Took a long cab ride north of the city..I had been gone a few years....My mother was doing some gardening out front- I said..."Hi mum....and then I just walked in and took a nap.....I was HOME.........................................
Sigh. This makes me happy.

I left when I was 17, traveled all over north America with a music group. Came home at 19 and worked full time, moved out for good at 21, moved to another country at 22. My sibling remained for another 10 years

I often wonder what my kids will do. I think they will move out for college and not be back except for hugs, advice and yummy food. And I am going to miss them!!! I got started young and will be an empty nester at 42.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or