Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I moved out when I was 20 and engaged, a couple of months before the wedding. In 1981, this was still taboo in our neck of the woods - living together (even if it was right before the wedding).
I remember that being taboo...my mom's next-door neighbor moved in with her husband a few months before they got married. One day my mom was chatting with her and she invited us in to see her dolls. She had a whole bedroom set up as hers, with a twin bed and a bunch of stuffed animals. I'm sure she showed us so my mom wouldn't think she was a bad person, but even as a child I thought it was weird for a grown woman to have a bedroom that looked like a kid's room.

I lived with my husband before we got married, and my mom made a fuss about not having a white dress at the wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I remember that being taboo...my mom's next-door neighbor moved in with her husband a few months before they got married. One day my mom was chatting with her and she invited us in to see her dolls. She had a whole bedroom set up as hers, with a twin bed and a bunch of stuffed animals. I'm sure she showed us so my mom wouldn't think she was a bad person, but even as a child I thought it was weird for a grown woman to have a bedroom that looked like a kid's room.

I lived with my husband before we got married, and my mom made a fuss about not having a white dress at the wedding.
I remember too. In 1982 had my own apt with a roommate and my fiance had his own place but a couple weeks before the wedding things just happened. My roommate had an opportunity to move in with someone else and she jumped on it. My fiance and I found a great apt for the two of us so we signed on the dotted line. It just seemed silly to keep paying rent on two places (and double for me!) for an extra month "for appearance sake", especially since nobody but my mom was really looking...haha.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 PM

244 posts, read 667,518 times
I moved out a few week after I turned 24, the day I got married. That night was the first night out of my parent's home. Our son is only 2 now, so we'll see what happens when he grows up.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
As of high school graduation, my sisters and I were on our own. My sisters got married right out of high school, I went to college (with no financial help from parents). It didn't seem at all unusual to me at the time. Honestly, it still doesn't. I LOVED being independent even when it was sometimes hard. (It's no longer hard, and I still love it.)

I remember when I was in grad school some friends of mine would get allowances from their parents every month. I thought that was the most bizarre thing in the world.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
I moved out a year ago, at 22, after my undergraduate degree. I decided to pursue a professional degree in another part of the country and so I moved to that city. I would have moved out even if I hadn't chose to move away. I love my parents, but it's important for maturing as an adult to move out.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I was 17. Parents divorced when I was 14. A nasty divorce that wasn't finalized until was 17. Although my mom didnt actually come out and say it, it was obvious that my sibling and I were a burden. She dropped a lot hints. My sibling moved out at 17 as well. I did boomerang back, twice. When a relationship went sour I moved home at 21 for about 2 months. It didnt go well. My grandmother was alive at that time and a tyrant who ran my mother's life. She convinced my mother to charge me rent at the cost of a luxury apt in the area. I moved out and got a dump of a place and dropped out of college to support myself. Then again in my late 30's when my husband and I made the transition out of state. I was actually going to live someplace else and she was hurt I didnt consider moving back home. So I did and she didnt want me paying for anything. Drove me nuts. A completely different extreme. When it was time for me to leave she cried. Made me feel awful.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
17 the first time. I boarded a bus and took off for California the day after I graduated high school. That lasted about 2 months before I went back home to start college. Then, about a year later, I did it again. Same result.

I finally moved out for good at 20 when I went into the Army, though I did spend about a month at Mom and Dad's getting my act together after being discharged.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
Just something I was thinking about at work today. I'm 22 and currently live in my first apartment. These two women I work with (ages 26 and 28) were discussing what they'd do with their homes once they have homes of their own. I felt weird throwing in my two cents about what it's actually like living on your own, because I was the youngest one there and kinda at the bottom of our company's totem pole. But that got me thinking--how old are most people when they move out? I figured about my age, 22-23 or so. In previous generations, maybe younger. How old were you?
You are correct, each generation may have a different age span as to when they moved out of their parents' home. I am from the Baby Boomer generation and was 19 when I married and was on my own in Newport Rhode Island (husband was on destroyer) and pregnant by the time I was 20. Learned real fast how to take care of myself. My son was in mid 20's when he moved out and almost 30 when he got married. Different times. Kids now adays don't have much choice sometimes because of the work issue..there isn't any work out there for them to be able to move out on their own. I would never expect a child of mine to try to strike out on their own if they didn't have work. If they weren't looking, I might DRIVE them in my car to the nearest job recruiting office though..LOL.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
18 years old when I left my home to move in with a young woman...The nice thing about a good mother and father...was that the door was always open...and I always had a home if I choose to return- Once my father died and my mother passed away- the family home was sold...Now I am about to turn 62- They say "you can never go home"- That saying is right- because once you leave the family home- the house of your childhood- You will never have a home again...Yes you will have a house-- but a house is not a home- Enjoy your home while you can- being an adult in the world- is a cold experience- Don't sell the family home for quick cash - keep your traditional base as long as you can. There is no shame in living at HOME..in other cultures it is normal....Don't toss your kid out when they are 18---it weakens the family...Let the bird fly when the bird is ready to fly.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times
When I was 18 I moved several states away got an apartment, a job and started school all on my own. My parents were very upset they wanted me to go to a local college and live at home and save my money. That was 26 years ago and I have never lived with them again but it was nice to know that I always would have a place to go if I needed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues