U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM

171 posts, read 364,781 times

Advertisements

Just something I was thinking about at work today. I'm 22 and currently live in my first apartment. These two women I work with (ages 26 and 28) were discussing what they'd do with their homes once they have homes of their own. I felt weird throwing in my two cents about what it's actually like living on your own, because I was the youngest one there and kinda at the bottom of our company's totem pole. But that got me thinking--how old are most people when they move out? I figured about my age, 22-23 or so. In previous generations, maybe younger. How old were you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM

227 posts, read 355,377 times
I am 24 years old, and I have no plans to move out at the moment. Its the financially the best decision. I have a Masters and a great career as a Nurse Practitioner, but I can save money for my own house and pay off my car/student loans while paying a reduce rent to my mom rather than a landlord. Its very common these days.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 22,191 times
I finally managed to be ready financially and mentally capable of moving out of my parents on the eve of my 25th birthday. I stayed home during my college years and loved my parents dearly and got along with them well so I was in no rush or pressured to love out until I really needed my own space and place. That was summer of 05. Now recently turned 32 I'm get getting close to moving outa my homestate after all these years. In short, I move and change slowly.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,354,870 times
My parents moved out when I was 17. Yeah, you read that right. Half way through my senior year of high school, my dad got a job in a different state. They left me with an empty house, and told me to come live with them once I was done with school. Instead, i spent that summer at a friend's house, then the past 2 years I've been living "on my own" in college (1 year in Mississippi, the past year in Arizona). The parents are still supporting me financially, though, so it's not like they abandoned me or anything. I'm 20 now, and should be completely financially dependant by my 21st birthday. I've got no debt, an outstanding credit score, and a decent income off of part time work (between it and scholarship money, I live comfortably if I budget well).

Everyone's situation's different... Mine just sort of fell on me.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,186,249 times
I'm from a "previous generation". Luggage was a very popular high school graduation gift.
I got luggage that was already packed! I can take a hint. Have always been close to my parents, but we all agreed my moving out was the right thing.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM

7,665 posts, read 8,955,753 times
I boomeranged throughout during college and for a year after college after getting laid off. Even when I was at home I spent every waking minute where I wasn't at work looking for a job.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,319,586 times
I moved out when I was 18. I've never moved back in, or been close to moving back in. I love my parents much more living across the city than I did when I had to deal with them every day.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 PM

538 posts, read 1,656,422 times
I moved out when I got married at 22 right after graduating from college. Now I have a 23 yr old daughter of my own who had no intention of moving out until we decided to move out of state. Most of her friends went away to college, graduated and moved back home. The world is a different place and everyone's circumstances vary but I would think most people want to be on their own by the time they are in their mid-twenties.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 AM

12,578 posts, read 13,988,350 times
I moved out a few weeks after I graduated from my university (which I mostly paid for myself), so I guess I had just turned twenty-two. That seemed to be the pattern with most of the kids from my high school who went to college, probably because we went to other cities to work. (In my case I simply could not wait to leave, no matter what.)

My classmates who did not go on to higher education stayed home until they got married.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:23 AM

16,375 posts, read 5,322,011 times
Like Hedgehog Mom, I also moved out when I was 18. My dad and stepmother started putting pressure on me when I turned 18 to start contributing financially to my own upkeep. When I got my first job, they made me give them more than 25% of my take home pay as "room and board" even though they both had good jobs and didn't need the money. I was also expected to wash dishes and help with the housework. I couldn't wait to get out of there and be on my own. It was like being paroled. I moved into a women's residence with a tiny bedroom, dormitory style communal bathroom and two meals a day for $19 a week, and I was in heaven. I am completely unable to understand why young people hang around the house for so long. Maybe it's because it's no longer taboo to have sexual relationships when you are unmarried, so there's no motive to get away from home so you can have some privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or