U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,832 times

Advertisements

Hello new forum friends. I'm 25 and currently wrestling with a terribly difficult decision; my friends and immediate family are tired of hearing about it. Here goes...

I currently live in Richmond, VA and have an opportunity to return to NE Ohio (Akron/Cuyahoga Falls area) to take a job. Now, I am an Ohio native (Sandusky) and my mother, stepfather, and grandfather all still live in Sandusky. I first moved to Richmond 13 months ago to take a job and initially did not enjoy the city at all (I was in a terrible romantic relationship that tainted my perception), but now that that relationship's over I find myself enjoying Richmond much more. Here's a breakdown...

Richmond
- Job pays $11K more per year than job I'd be taking in Ohio
- Have friends/life here, put down some shallow roots
- Don't see myself living here forever (want my parents to be a big part of my future children's lives)

Akron/Cuyahoga Falls
- "Better" job (environment, cause, people, etc.), but $11K pay cut
- MUCH nearer to my family (1 1/4 hour drive vs. 9 hour drive)
- Have a few distant friends in the area and some other connections
- More opportunities for graduate school in CLE area than in RVA

The biggest issue is this: I would stay in Richmond and make the extra dough for the next ~2 years if I knew I could find the job that's been currently offered to me in Ohio again. Unfortunately, as a professional musician, decent-paying, secure, fulltime jobs, are few and far between in the NE Ohio area. But, knowing that I want to get married and start a family sometime soon, I'm concerned that if I were to stay here in Richmond for the next 2 years that I would have deeper roots preventing me from returning to NE Ohio and my family (still very important to me).

Do I seize this opportunity to return to NE Ohio, accept the pay cut, and know that I'm geographically where I'd like to be for the rest(?) of my days? OR, do I stay in Richmond, bank money for the next 2 years, and pray that I can find a similar job in 2 years time and that my future wife is a Cleveland sports fan?

What say you? Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

6,068 posts, read 8,340,519 times
I'd take the pay cut and go home. You know that's where you want to end up anyway so why delay the inevitable?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM

28,404 posts, read 61,878,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlikesushi1 View Post
Should I Stay or Should I Go?

The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go - YouTube

Quote:
The biggest issue is this: I would stay in Richmond and make the extra dough for the next ~2 years
Unfortunately, as a professional musician, decent-paying, secure, fulltime jobs, are few and far between in the NE Ohio area.
If you were 40 with kids and all then the Q (and answer) would be different: head for OH.
But that isn't case... yet. Is it?

Keep earning (and banking!!!) the extra money.
Enjoy your twenties.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,455,098 times
The sooner you go back home, the better. You don't know what the future holds for you in either place. But you do know that you want to be closer to your parents.

Home is where the heart is.

Money is not the most important thing. I understand your thinking, but I think you would regret not being closer to family for the rest of your life. It's difficult to put a price tag on something like that.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM

8,224 posts, read 14,884,390 times
Since the job opportunities are not there in Ohio, why go back now? You stand a far better chance of remaining employed in VA than in Ohio - and if something changes about your current job, you still have the option of returning "home". But, if you run home to Mom now, you lose the opportunities available to you in Va.

You are only a day's drive from your hometown and that is definitely doable even after you have children and a family. Stay and enjoy what you have. You've been there such a short time, don't deprive yourself of the experience of getting to really know a new area, a new way of living. So you can't pop over for Sunday dinner; you can still jump in the car and spend a day with the family.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 PM

13,793 posts, read 14,609,604 times
11,000 over a year minus taxes is not that much money vs the pull you have to be near your family. move home

Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,832 times
Thank you all very much for your replies. As I suspected, there's roughly a 50/50 split in the responses...guess that means I can't lose either way, right? If only it were that easy :-/...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Money is not the most important thing. I understand your thinking, but I think you would regret not being closer to family for the rest of your life. It's difficult to put a price tag on something like that.
That is the big concern. I know that I would be happy staying in Richmond for the next 2-3 years, but by then will my roots be so deep as to prevent me from ever returning to NE Ohio? And yes, while Richmond is only a day's drive away from my hometown it's still not "oh, grandma and grandpa want to have the kids for a weekend" close, which is what I want.

I should also mention that there's a distinct possibility that my contract in Richmond could be cut $11K come July 2014 should I not "pull my weight" (record, perform, write as expected) within the agency over the next 2 years. So, in 2 years time the money difference could be moot!

To quote Ron Burgundy: "This is HARD! I am in a pickle!"

Keep the feedback comin', folks! Deadline for a decision is tonight! Thank you, and have an awesome day.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,687,970 times
RAWL, I sure wouldn't let money stop me from making my WHOLE life better. Money is just part of the picture. Look, you've done well in Richmond, it may have even enabled you to get your Ohio job, and apparently being near an ocean beach with warmer weather carries no weight at all, SO since you've done looked for and actually found a perfectly good job in Ohio, and it's the best place for you to settle down, then son, that's where I'd go. Go home, music man, and pursue ALL of your dreams, which if you buy a home where the monthly payment would be rather less than where you are now (to offset the loss of income), you should be okay. Also, musicians not only make their money with a regular gig; they also play a little midnight jazz around the edges, write and sell a few songs (get an agent), if you're allowed to pursue outside work for some extra dollars.

If you get bored in Ohio, or your own family doesn't quite materialize, and expenses are too much, you can always take your talent and go elsewhere in a couple more years (Chicago)! it's an easy move for you to Ohio, you are an Ohioan (is that right?) thru and thru, and seems like even Crosby, Stills & Nash sang a great song, "Ohio." The connections with old friends alone is worth it, not to mention how important your growing-up family is. And with jobs at such a low, altho not as bad as it was four years ago, I think you're SO fortunate to find one in your home state. GG

Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 PM

7,677 posts, read 8,974,848 times
If you won't go broke on the pay cut go back to Ohio.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 AM

207 posts, read 368,543 times
I would definitely go home. My husband and I live 12 hours away from our family. My husband is unable to get a job in our home state. The longer you stay in a place the more roots you put down and then it is harder to go home. Plus, 10,000 yr after taxes wouldn't be enough of an incentive to stay away from family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues