Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you have to take a risk. Sometimes standing still is worse than making a move. However, sometimes it's better to stay where you are. But, you'll never know sometimes unless you put yourself out there.

I made a move 15 years ago that was the best decision I ever made.

I made a move 6 years ago that turned out to be a mistake and an unwise decision.

But I moved back and fought to regroup, and things are fine; I learned some things from that bad move. The biggest thing I learned was to visit a place IN PERSON before you decide to move. While there, read the local newspapers, talk to people. No amount of internet research can make up for that. Don't paint or create a rosy picture for yourself that doesn't really exist.

Make sure you are not trying to get away from personal issues that are internal, not external, by moving. You don't leave those behind when you move somewhere else. You also cannot excape the ills of the 21st century - don't think you can. Today's problems exist everywhere you go, just in different doses depending on where it is. There is no Mayberry.

On the other hand, a move to a new place can be a much-needed fresh start, or even a means to survive economically due to a lower cost of living, or due to better job or educational opportunities.

Some people are afraid of change, they can't imagine moving or just striking out without having everything completely planned out and assured. They cannot relate to that. But, there are no assurances in life, no how secure people think they are.

Life is a journey. Live it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 02:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Honestly I think the change of venue would do me some good. When you've lived in one city your whole life...its almost like you need the change. Almost therapeutic......Some people can do it and have no problems with staying in the place they were born and raised. I on the other hand cannot fathom it. Just bored to death with the same ole-same ole. Friends and family deter me by saying things like 1."you'll be back" 2. You dont know anyone. 3. no friends there.....Personally that the beauty of it...I would be exploring a new city where I would make new friends plus give the family a new city to visit.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Phoenix? Really? I have a long time friend there. She is trapped. Real estate collapsed. Stuck in Scottsdale. Low wage due to downturn. Has gone through her savings. Summer is a whole new issue. Go spend your next vacation there in August. No job? No go.

Good luck to ya.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

Resurrecting this thread because this quote that I posted above is exactly the kinda of "ridicule" that I get when I tell people my plan about relocating. Geesh people not expecting the grass to be greener,,but a little encouragement from others can make people go along...
That's why I don't tell anyone at work or that I know our plans until I am on the plane, in the car, or have the offer letter. I don't need others to put me down.
I say if you want to move, you are not married, nor have children so it is easier to do. BUT, it wouldn't hurt to visit if you haven't and try to make some contacts while you are there that could possibly lead to a job prior to moving. See what rents are like so you can know how far your savings will take you. I wish you the best.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
That's why I don't tell anyone at work or that I know our plans until I am on the plane, in the car, or have the offer letter. I don't need others to put me down.
I say if you want to move, you are not married, nor have children so it is easier to do. BUT, it wouldn't hurt to visit if you haven't and try to make some contacts while you are there that could possibly lead to a job prior to moving. See what rents are like so you can know how far your savings will take you. I wish you the best.

There you go, therewego. (Just had to do it)

Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I did the same thing. It's probably a large reason why I'm on C-D so much; I can talk freely about my plans here.

I can count on one hand how many people know of my plans, and that's mainly because they're either already there and waiting for me to arrive or they might eventually be going, too.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Phoenix? Really? I have a long time friend there. She is trapped. Real estate collapsed. Stuck in Scottsdale. Low wage due to downturn. Has gone through her savings. Summer is a whole new issue. Go spend your next vacation there in August. No job? No go.

Good luck to ya.
I lived in Phoenix metro for a lot of years. It's true you do hear the "trapped" thing quite a bit. I wonder if it's more of an internal feeling because in the desert you feel kind of "cast off" or cut off in a sense, even though more than 4 m people. Summers are beyond a drag, but lots of people can take them. After years of them, I actually hated to see the sun shine!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
1."you'll be back"
I can't tell you how many times I heard this when I moved to Florida from WI.
(The irony is after almost 18 years away, I am considering moving back.. but enough about me)

To this I say: SO WHAT? So what if you were to move back?
Some of us are happy living in the same place our whole lives and some of us need to experience new things.

Do your homework, and if you end up going to AZ, it doesn't work out, and you move back... so what?

Best of luck!!!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I can't tell you how many times I heard this when I moved to Florida from WI.
(The irony is after almost 18 years away, I am considering moving back.. but enough about me)

To this I say: SO WHAT? So what if you were to move back?
Some of us are happy living in the same place our whole lives and some of us need to experience new things.

Do your homework, and if you end up going to AZ, it doesn't work out, and you move back... so what?

Best of luck!!!
Exactly. So what if you move back. I have moved a lot. The most controversial move for me was my relo to CA. Yes, people didn't agree with that decision. Yes, they said I would be back to the east coast. Yes, I did go back to the east coast, but, for good reason, and I don't regret a second of it. I was afforded the opportunity to care for relatives that needed me, when they needed me most (and family for me, when I became very ill and was told to be surrounded with family because docs were unsure of the outcome). And now that all of them have sadly passed (and I've obviously pulled though, too), I will be back in warm CA weather soon.

My point of all that is, just because a place is right for you at one point in your life, and not during another point in your life, does not mean that it was ever a wrong decision.

Do what is right for you today. And if that changes tomorrow, well, luckily your old hometown (or another town that's a better fit for that phase of your life) will still be there.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
just because a place is right for you at one point in your life, and not during another point in your life, does not mean that it was ever a wrong decision.

Do what is right for you today. And if that changes tomorrow, well, luckily your old hometown will still be there.
What a great quote!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues