Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 PM

12,920 posts, read 13,606,000 times

Advertisements

There is an old adage you might have heard that goes," three moves is a fire" I suspect it means if you move three time the cost is comparable to losing everything . I use it as a measuring stick and feel I need at least 1/3 of my yearly income as a sufficient cushion to finance a move .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,267,973 times
Our move cost us quite a bit. I don't regret it one bit but costs ranged quite a bit more than a few thousand dollars.

-The move itself. 4 bedrooms, basement and 30 years of stuff. We went with a more expensive carrier.
-Extended stay lodging for my husband who moved earlier while I got the kids finished up with school and prepared the house for selling.
-Rental of a second car for family trip that included transporting our kids, dog and cat and valuables
-Security and pet deposits for our rental house.
-Costs of getting a house up and running again including an initial cleaning (house was disgusting)
-Costs for registering cars (pretty expensive) in our new state
-Costs for temporary lodging waiting for our goods to arrive

Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 PM

4,484 posts, read 9,266,217 times
If I were advising someone, the biggest factor would be whether or not they had children to take care of.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM

9,001 posts, read 10,152,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is an interesting question...because I read on another thread, a man was suggesting having NINE months of living expenses before moving any place! Wow. Forget that...I would have never moved if that had been a pre-requisite! I have done budget moves, so tight...we were eating peanut butter and toast waiting for the first paycheck...

I guess it is all about values. I just don't think I have anything that important worth moving. Accumulation of stuff has never been a goal for me. So, moving is fairly cheap...no furniture.

What do you think is a reasonable amount of money a person needs to plan on a move? We all know, moving is expensive, more than people realize...
No furniture, lol is the only way to go !
I usually like to get rid of as much as possible before moving into a new place- then buy new stuff that suits me there....
Gives it a fresh vibe & it's easier on me.
As for how much money, it all depends on what someone's priorities are....I'm a minimalist. So it's much easier for me in that respect.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,400,776 times
If you're moving for a job, then you're better off. Not counting the rent/deposit/first mortgage payment, I can and have, moved with a month's worth saved up, or less. I've done it with basically gas money before after paying my deposit and first month rent.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,608,299 times
As a general rule, you always need more than you have saved!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM

10,304 posts, read 13,833,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
As a general rule, you always need more than you have saved!
This is certainly the case. Considering that all of my moves have been to get away from low-paying jobs I definitely didn't have the luxury of saving up a lot of money. I scrimped and saved what I could and ate real cheap for a while. I would love to have had several months of savings when I moved.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,607,122 times
I'm moving with 6 months of savings-

I own a home so I have to pay mortgage and having a moving company take my stuff-

Not moving with a job.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM

9,001 posts, read 10,152,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
This is certainly the case. Considering that all of my moves have been to get away from low-paying jobs I definitely didn't have the luxury of saving up a lot of money. I scrimped and saved what I could and ate real cheap for a while. I would love to have had several months of savings when I moved.
Here's the thing- if someone really wants to move, it'll happen....
I actually love reading the posts from ppl who moved with not a lot of $$, but a lot of perseverance.
It's inspiring

Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM

10,304 posts, read 13,833,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Here's the thing- if someone really wants to move, it'll happen....
I actually love reading the posts from ppl who moved with not a lot of $$, but a lot of perseverance.
It's inspiring
You take out loans, you use your credit cards, you do what it takes to leave if you have to, especially if you're going to be poor by staying where you are (ie no work or low-paying jobs). I went into some debt to move out of Montana but considering that I would still be broke if I had stayed there, it has been well worth it and a no-brainer choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues