Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,071 times

Advertisements

We've sold off practically everything in our house already (wanted to get rid of it before Christmas and people started holding on to their money). If we were to move all of our stuff, the average to move it would have been $3000-4000. Quotes varied. Why haul old junk when you can buy BRAND NEW furniture and so forth for 3-4k?! That's what we figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:39 PM

20 posts, read 168,841 times
I just sent you a PM since I wasn't sure if I could say the name and number of the company that moved me.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:47 PM

672 posts, read 905,056 times
We got two friends, here and there, to help with the loading and unloading of a UHaul we rented. I DID take down a lot of furniture for when we move to a bigger place. The cost of renting the truck versus buying all new furniture equaled out.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:57 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times
What about Budget?

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 PM

27 posts, read 158,427 times
Had to add my 2 Cents in here. Moved from Northeast Indiana to just south of the Villages in June. Bought a new 20' enclosed cargo trailer to accomodate all the things we wanted to bring with us. Spent about $6500 on the trailer with added tie downs and "Z" strips added. (Already had a truck capable of pulling the trailer) Averaged 11 mpg for the trip down. Only brought 4 pieces of furniture, but lots of clothes and tools. (Way too many - Have worn nothing but shorts and T shirts since we got here.) We bought all new furniture. (The old stuff was high quality and we sold most to friends and relatives, but did clear out the remaining stuff via a week long rummage sale)
Currently using the trailer for storage of the excess stuff we brought. Rental space for the trailer is $45/ month compared to about $150/month for a comparable sized storage unit.
You'll only need half the clothes you think you do. Lived 34 years in So. Wisc. Hard to part with the cold weather stuff, but you will not need it here. A couple of sweaters and a couple of sweatshirts will do. If you're going to be visiting back home in the winter, borrow a heavy coat when you arrive. Good luck with the move.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
What about Budget?
Our quotes from UHaul are cheaper than Budget.

I took a suggestion from another poster & called UPack ABF. You pack, they drive, & you unpack. The cost coversgas, tax, tolls, 3 days of having the truck to pack & 3 days to unpack. They will hold the items until you call when you reach your destination. UHaul & Budget charge per day @ around $100 per day.

Said & done, it will cost us $300 more to use ABF than UHaul.
We are willing to pay $300 in order not to have to drive a 26 ft UHaul 1800 miles & worry about it breaking down, etc.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,069 times
We moved from Northeast Ohio to Ocala in 2004... I found a Full size Bluebird School bus with all the passanger seats removed and a Hydaralic Lift Gate on it, for $1200. It cost about $350 in Fuel to drive it down here. It was loaded and pulling one of our Licoln Continentals behind it. After we got here, I put it back on ebay (where I found it) and sold it in less than 5 hours for $1500. So, our move was pretty cheap!!!

The move was made with 2 cats and our Boxer. The kids and I followed the bus.

Just an idea!!!

Last edited by MyHomeIsInOcala; 10-04-2007 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: added "The move was..."

Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM

32 posts, read 95,378 times
MyHomeIsInOcala - that is a great idea. I will have to look into that when we're ready to move.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:10 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
We're moving from FL to NH next summer and right now we are slowly getting rid of stuff we don't need to haul with us. It's easier to do a little over time than all at the last minute and you'd realize just how much stuff you have that you don't really need. We're leaving all our furniture behind with the house too. we're thinking of buying one of those enclosed trailers to pack what stuff we need to bring then we can always sell it when we're done with it. I mean it will probably cost $2000 to rent a Uhaul and your just throwing that money away. If you buy an enclosed trailer, at least you have a chance of selling it and getting some money back out of it or worst case break out even. If your moving to FL, i'd spend a lot of time researching the areas you want to live in. If your buying a home, there's plenty to choose from but be sure to look into taxes and home insurance and remember, what the current owner pays for taxes will NOT be what you pay for taxes. We have a 3% cap here in FL each year but once you make an upgrade on your home or sell it to someone else, that 3% cap no longer exists. They immediately jump up the taxes to the current value on the home and then start the 3% cap for you. Insurance is another issue. It's hard to find someone to insure you. We recently got dropped by Allstate after 6 years and no claims and our premiums doubled so just be aware. FL really is getting tough to make a decent living in.
Hey, what happened to TN ¿

Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM

41 posts, read 189,469 times
Default Needed help and advise too....

Hi,

We live in Fairfax VA and shortly will be moving to Montgomery Alabama. I need your help in deciding which movers i should trust as its all about the cost. Last time when we moved from Atlanta to VA we did not have a very good experience with the movers. The estimate is given by someone and people whom we are in direct contact are someone else who created lot of problem and were demanding for so much extra money apart from what was told before. I want to avoid all this hassle this time based on someones experience with real good movers.
U have mentioned in ur post that u had good people for you during ur move. Do u think u can help me in any regard? U can email me directly also at vijaya9gv@gmail.com
Hoping to hear from you.
Thanks in advance,
Vijaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiedearest View Post
I just moved from Wisconsin to Fort Myers, FL. I did all the research between us moving it and having someone else move it. Believe it or not I found that the moving company I chose would be about the same if not cheaper than moving it ourselves. After you figure, my husband was already down here working. He would have had to take off work for about a week to come up and pack everything into the trailer/truck, then drive 25 (Approx) hours (not including stops), then he would have had to unload everything; the cost of fuel for the truck and the time frame would only be a week unless you wanted to pay for another week. It seemed like a big hassle, when the moving company came to my house disassembled what needed to be taken apart (ie beds, desk) loaded everything into the truck and about a week later arrived here and unloaded everything and reset up the beds.

I think that we ended up paying less than what it would have cost for the truck and fuel alone.

If you live anywhere close to the Illinois/Wisconsin border I can recommend them if you would like. They were excellent. After I called the rep came to my house and we went through the house room by room and he calculated how much stuff we had and then gave me the estimate right away. Suprisingly he was pretty close weight wise.

It was so much easier and less stressful since they do all the work and they are insured and our stuff if damaged during shipping was also insured, where as if you pack it and it breaks its on you.

If you have other questions you can PM me.

Tamie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues