U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,450,737 times

Advertisements

At least a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM

119 posts, read 367,466 times
I think that to have "lived" somewhere, it'd have to be 30 or more days of permanent residency (renting or owning) and not just hotel-hopping, couch surfing or friends'/family's house. Though if you are living with relatives or friends until you find a permanent residence (or decide to move later), then it may still be considered as "lived in" the city. As far as legalities go, if you consider most states' DMV requirements, you must change your driver's lic after 30 days of living somewhere and have access to a physical address or bills to your name at a local address.

Definitely none of that "business trip", "training", "workshop'ing" or "long-term visiting". I'd say 30 days would be the max required... anyone saying you need to be in one place for a year before you can say you've lived somewhere is exaggerating greatly.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,096,619 times
When I move to a new locale, after spending the first night in the place where my things will be or already are and my mail will find me, then I'm living there even if I don't feel quite at home just yet.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 AM

28,396 posts, read 61,782,091 times
Anything less than a full year in place requires some qualifier to the "I lived in ____" statement.
I lived in X briefly before moving to _______ .

Even if you went full in on the move (DL, mail, bank accounts, voting and everything else)...
if you didn't actually stay (and why doesn't matter) your time there is something short of...

Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,096,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Anything less than a full year in place requires some qualifier to the "I lived in ____" statement.
I lived in X briefly before moving to _______ .

Even if you went full in on the move (DL, mail, bank accounts, voting and everything else)...
if you didn't actually stay (and why doesn't matter) your time there is something short of...
What? Living in a place briefly is living in a place. One only needs to be rational. LOL

Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM

134 posts, read 373,544 times
I'd say 10 to 12 months. This includes changing your drivers license, signing a lease or buying a home, working in the area, and making a friend outside of work.

Anything less is just moving around excessively.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,475,592 times
I moved the last week of August. We moved me in the first week of September. Then I took the train on a long ride to the west coast for Thanksgiving.

But a funny thing happened when I arrived. Three months ago it had been home. Now, it felt like there was a wall between me and the place. I went to a convention I'd been going to for years over the weekend. I made sure it said Oklahoma on the badge. I enjoyed it but there was something different, I wasn' t *local* anymore. I remember taking a bus at night through the area where I'd lived and it felt so strange, since the memories were real and yet there was a distance between the moment and the memories. They were over.

It was during this time I started calling OK home. I had a hat with the state symbol I wore around. I was so happy and so amazed at the moment we drove back into town after the train. It wasn't just my house, but my town and my home.

I read about people who still feel this huge pull from the old place for a long time, but once I was past the state line as we drove out, it was like a weight lifted and I knew the move was the right thing to do.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 AM

191 posts, read 220,708 times
2 generations.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM

9,020 posts, read 9,449,228 times
I've been in my new place a little over a week. I live here.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:43 AM

457 posts, read 504,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I know this may sound like a crazy question and I know that different people feel differently, but if you have moved somewhere, how long is the minimum time you feel you would have to spend there before you considered that you have lived there? For example, a co-worker once told me that if you spent more than a month continuously somewhere, then you have lived there while others have said that you haven't lived somewhere unless you have spent at least one year there.
I have encountered a lot of people lately, these past few years, who seem of the opinion that anywhere you've been long enough to know where its IKEA store was, must be where you're "from." If you've been somewhere long enough to SHOP there you "must be" BORN AND RAISED THERE.

I guess that makes me BORN AND RAISED in 14 states and 4 countries, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or