U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 AM

144 posts, read 168,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What is it you want to escape, the low temps, the gloom, dealing with icy roads, having to shovel walks and drives?
All of the above you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Snow is pretty rare in TN and when it does fall, it's not going to be anything like Chicago.

It can be a blessing and a curse depending on how you look at it since most of the southern states don't have plows or salt spreaders so the slightest dusting of snow can wreak havoc and shut down the cities which is always amusing for ex-northerners to watch. But you probably wouldn't even notice.
I did read about the no plows or salt spreaders in TN that's why slightest snow can shutdown everything especially schools coz you just wait for snow to melt by itself. LOL. That's dangerous for me then. My car slides so bad in snow.

DavieJ89 - Thanks for the list, appreciate it.

What I mean by non snow state is literally no snow on the road. Like vegas yes it does get cold there lowest temp when I escaped there is 20s-30s, but look ma no ice/snow on road. What more states are like that? aside from DavieJ89's list?

Last edited by heartbrox; 08-09-2012 at 03:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:25 AM

28,394 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
What I mean by non snow state is literally no snow on the road. Like vegas...
That level of "no snow" comes at too high a price for the other 300 days of the year...
and especially the 150 days of summer. Well, for me it does.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 AM

5,739 posts, read 12,409,560 times
Quote:
All of the above you mentioned.

I did read about the no plows or salt spreaders in TN that's why slightest snow can shutdown everything especially schools coz you just wait for snow to melt by itself. LOL. That's dangerous for me then. My car slides so bad in snow.

DavieJ89 - Thanks for the list, appreciate it.

What I mean by non snow state is literally no snow on the road. Like vegas yes it does get cold there lowest temp when I escaped there is 20s-30s, but look ma no ice/snow on road. What more states are like that? aside from DavieJ89's list?
My hometown of Orlando, FL may be a good option for you the climate here is considered "transitional" meaning its considered "sub-tropical" but is just 2 degrees away from being considered a "tropical" climate. According to the koppen climate classification system, in order to be considered a "tropical" climate, a city must have an average temperature above 64 degrees all 12 months of the year, Orlando's average winter temperature (Dec-Feb) is 62, so its ALMOST tropical. If global warming continues, it will become tropical eventually

Normally Orlando has frost on average every 3-5 years, same with a freeze. Hard freezes occur every 6-10 years, with snow occurring every 15-20, almost always with no accumulation (I say almost because areas around Orlando saw around 6 inches or so back in 1977, I wasn't alive then but thats what I've read. We had a slushy accumulation when it snowed in 2010, but it didnt last long, melted in an hour or so)

Last but definitely not least, Orlando's temperatures are Southern California-like from October to late March, highs will mostly be in the mid-upper 70s, with lows in the high 40s-mid 50s, with very little rainfall and lots of sunshine

Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM

10,378 posts, read 14,221,785 times
Quote:
Just to clear up any misconceptions- There are plows and salt trucks in the cities and on the highways, just not in the large numbers found in cities further north. So yeah, you might have to wait a bit for the plows to hit your particular residential street, but the city streets are usually kept pretty clear.
Rural areas are like rural areas in the north, you either wait for the county to finally makes its way to you or you plow your own. (Which is one of the reasons for schools shutting down at the slightest hint of snow, not knowing when those outlying roads will be cleared.)
Waiting for the snow to melt by itself refers to the little dustings of snowfall that don't warrant sending the snow removal equipment out. That stuff is usually gone an hour after the sun is up and doesn't exactly represent hazardous driving conditions any more than a good rainfall does.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:51 PM

5,141 posts, read 2,953,575 times
I have a different rule: I must live where palm trees grow. We have successfully done this for many, many years. We won't be changing now.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 AM

34,242 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Quote:
I live in IL for too long that I felt the need to escape its winter months for 3 yrs now. Previous states I've 'escaped' into were vegas and AZ.

Now I read somewhere TN, NC and New Mexico are non snow states but googling further found out it does snow there so what's the truth?

I am leaning on TN coz it's closer to IL either that or NC which is also closer compared to FL which was my orig choice but was disappointed by the farther distance.
Distance is relative,it would only take an extra day to drive to Florida, and they have beaches there.its paradise.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 AM

448 posts, read 741,581 times
Vegas does get snow once in a blue moon. So does Phoenix, although, it is there an hour and then gone.
The pictures below were of Phoenix this past December.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 AM

9,019 posts, read 9,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You really don't want a NON snow state.
Having it get cold enough over winter in order to snow is important.
I do.

Having it get cold is not important to me, and winter is my #1 reason for moving.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 977 times
Are there any cities in any of the Carolina's that does not get snow?

Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,517,618 times
Many cities that don't get much snow get lots of freezing rain and ice. Dallas is an example. Lived there. Even LA gets snow in the mountains. Santa Barbara, CA, even got snow once when I lived there.

Having lived in a variety of climates, I'd say So Cal along the coastal strip has the most comfortable climate, but you pay a huge price for it. As you go inland, the temp skyrockets in the summer.

Southern Texas substitutes 100+ temps for snow. Trust me, going out your front door in that temp is like opening an oven door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues