U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 04:40 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,583,579 times

Advertisements

I agree. Moving is not a "vacation". Last cross country trip I took, for moving, we just drove, but stayed a few nights in Chicago. That broke up the driving, and gave us a break. We saw a few things...I moved from Florida to Montana. Took six nights of hotels. I sort of blogged my drive...as I wrote in the "Cats" forum about Jasper's great adventure...he is my cat, it was his first cross country trip.

It will cost more than you think. I got here...we were eating PB sandwiches.

I made reservations thru Chicago. Then winged it the rest of the trip.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 6,449 times
Needanew...

you can do it, just take it slow, do not come in the winter, snow will stop you.

i have lived in california for most my life, i moved to northcarolina to help my husband grandpa, after he passed away we decided to move to oregon where my sister lives.

they say it rains all the time, it does not, if fact today is in the low 80's

sure we get rain, but i tell you the sites here in oregon is so home welcoming, warm and like a puzzle.

it is always green out here, and the skys are so blue.

i live south of where you are going, and although we all have our mini climates down here, it is so beautiful you would be amazed.

we took the hwy 40 then connected to the hwy 99 to hwy 5

it took us 4-5 days but we drove with two trailers and 8 hours days.... if not a bit more driving when we felt good.... we did not drive in the night time, but got up early to start our day...

no big bugs, no roaches, great places to see and forest and lakes everywhere... you can go to the beach in one hours drive or to the dessert in one hours drive...lol right in the heart of the valley.

it is counrty out there, farm land for mile, no big cement buildings, or smog... just blue skies.

so come on out, we welcome you, have a safe trip....

i had two hugh dogs with me and 3 cats, they were all happy when we got here.... and love the trip.

take many pictures too...

Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 PM

21,519 posts, read 14,154,885 times
I have to respectfully disagree about pre booking. If you join a club like Choice it is possible that you will have earned a free room at the end of your trip, assuming it takes long enough to get to your destination. We pre booked a day in advance. DH plotted out 300 mi increments and we stuck to that schedule. Luckily we had relatives to stay with part way through the trip and almost at the end of our trip. If there are 2 drivers, you might want to go, say 400 mi per day. But your kids will have a hard time doing this trip, no matter how you plan it.

You might investigate having your car shipped, if you are having some of your possessions shipped as well. Be aware that a car packed to the gills as if it is moving house can be a target for thieves. Also, if your car is over 5 years old, depending on mileage, it might not make the trip. Honestly, I'd consider flying out, and having my car shipped, even if it meant not taking some stuff. Optimal would be having some things shipped via a mover, shipping the car, and flying out. It would be expensive, but it is just plain expensive to move. It will cost you to move, no matter how you do it. And if your car breaks down, your car trip has suddenly become more expensive than you thought it would. And, you've added 3,000 miles to it.

We had my car shipped. It cost $1200 but our mover handled the details for us, and I'd recommend the process. Try going through the United Van Lines carrier in your city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues