U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 9,641 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Quick question. Are there any 'share a van' type resources/Web sites out there? I have a very small amount of stuff - no furniture, and probably less than 5x5 feet of books, papers, clothes and knick knacks. I have some oversized stuff and wonder how best to ship it. Time isn't a big concern here - if the stuff takes a month to get to my new destination that's fine. Just don't want anything lost. Thinking of the options:

- I'm considering mailing as much of it as I can - although damn if those flat rate shipping boxes are small
- Wondering if UPS etc. have a flat rate shipping too or if using(http://voices.yahoo.com/shipping-amt...yhound/Amtrack works
- I know Craigslist occasionally has people posting re: sharing a movie, and possibly in the forum here (will search to see anything in the California and Ohio boards)
- the plastic shipping crates could be a possibility but haven't seen anyone that does it across the country?

What's the best idea? Part of it is frustration because I don't have a car to all of it to a postal station to mail, but guess I could get a cab on that day. Also trying to figure out how to estimate time - do they hold parcels at Greyhound for x time before they ship back? I would like to be able to pick up a bunch at once rather than having the boyfriend pick them up every day or too

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by jasper12; 09-02-2012 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: editted url
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 PM

28,362 posts, read 61,627,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlostgrrl View Post
- I'm considering mailing as much of it as I can...
- Wondering if UPS etc...
Thanks for any feedback!
Shed yourself of the books anything else especially heavy...
and anything that won't fit inside a box.

Then thin that pile down to the 5 or 6 boxes you *really* need.
Take them with you on the Greyhound bus.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,914,163 times
A lot of the books can probably be replaced with some sort of ereader, knick knacks should be gone through and ONLY keep the ones that are absolutely positively sentimental IF you have to. Papers can be scanned in and put on jump drives then gotten rid of but ONLY the papers that are absolutely necessary to keep and the clothes should be sorted and if they do not fit or you haven't worn it in 6 months or they are in need of repair donate them to a charity or homeless shelter.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:21 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,018,209 times
You can get a 7'x7'x7' Pod, I think that is the smallest "moving" type thing ive seen.

Never heard anyone of has done it, But the UShip from shipping wars TV show might be a option also.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM

186 posts, read 381,613 times
You can mail books, magazines, cd's etc. using USPS Media Mail service, it's quite a bit less expensive than standard shipping.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM

28,362 posts, read 61,627,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
You can mail books, magazines, cd's etc. using USPS Media Mail service, it's quite a bit less expensive than standard shipping.
if it fits...
Attached Thumbnails
sharing a van from West Coast to Ohio - possible-ifitfits.jpg  

Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,446,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
A lot of the books can probably be replaced with some sort of ereader, knick knacks should be gone through and ONLY keep the ones that are absolutely positively sentimental IF you have to. Papers can be scanned in and put on jump drives then gotten rid of but ONLY the papers that are absolutely necessary to keep and the clothes should be sorted and if they do not fit or you haven't worn it in 6 months or they are in need of repair donate them to a charity or homeless shelter.
Books are of value to some. I'm presently hitting Amazon each month to rebuild my library after I lost it. And even if you get an e-reader, you have to BUY them back in that format. And some don't like them.

There is such a thing as Bookrate where books ship slower but don't cost as much.

Any papers which need to be kept should be scanned, but keep the papers too if they matter.

I was very sorry I didn't keep some of my clothes since it cost me more to replace them. Also the bookshelves I thought I could repalce cheap. OOps.

Thift stores are easy to find in California. Not so everywhere. I've found in this area people keep it and use it until its trash time. Replacing cheap isn't always an option. Find out about what it costs before you leave it behind.

Especially if the OP doesn't have a car, it will not be as easy to replace things.

I'd say check the cost of a pod, or upack. It shows up when you do and you don't have to pay to replace things you should have included. California to Ohio also needs to include consideration

Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,446,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlostgrrl View Post
Hi folks,

Quick question. Are there any 'share a van' type resources/Web sites out there? I have a very small amount of stuff - no furniture, and probably less than 5x5 feet of books, papers, clothes and knick knacks. I have some oversized stuff and wonder how best to ship it. Time isn't a big concern here - if the stuff takes a month to get to my new destination that's fine. Just don't want anything lost. Thinking of the options:

- I'm considering mailing as much of it as I can - although damn if those flat rate shipping boxes are small
- Wondering if UPS etc. have a flat rate shipping too or if using(http://voices.yahoo.com/shipping-amt...yhound/Amtrack works
- I know Craigslist occasionally has people posting re: sharing a movie, and possibly in the forum here (will search to see anything in the California and Ohio boards)
- the plastic shipping crates could be a possibility but haven't seen anyone that does it across the country?

What's the best idea? Part of it is frustration because I don't have a car to all of it to a postal station to mail, but guess I could get a cab on that day. Also trying to figure out how to estimate time - do they hold parcels at Greyhound for x time before they ship back? I would like to be able to pick up a bunch at once rather than having the boyfriend pick them up every day or too

Thanks for any feedback!
First, do an estamate of the weight. The books would be the first thing. The amtrak site lookes interesting. If your under it might be a good deal. With books, however, keep them to liftable size. The larger boxes are good for knicknacks and clothes. A suggestion...use clothes to padd the knickknacks. If the box is really light, combine papers with them so they are neither over heavy or overly light. Overly light can easily shift. Maybe do a dry run on packing and see what you have before you commit.

If I hadn't been bringing furnature I was considering the pods, as they are very useful since they were delivered and picked up from your residence. DO check that option as it might be a simple and easy method.

As for traveling there, if you use Amtrack, why not take the train? Its a nice relaxing way to travel and you get to enjoy the country in between.

Something I did, just incase someone was interested in snooping. Label boxes A, B, C etc. Keep a list on yourself of whats in them. Don't offer temptation to see.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 AM

7,353 posts, read 12,875,566 times
Since I'm wide awake at almost 1 AM thought I'd check on something for you. Nightbird mentioned traveling Amtrack. Out of curiosity I checked greyhound. Since I didn't know where you live in Ca or where you're going in Ohio, I put the trip from Los Angeles to Columbus, OH. You can get a web only rate (guess if you purchase your ticket online?) of $217.80. There are 4 different departure times but the trip takes a little over 2 days, 3 hours. I know it's a long time sitting inside a big dog, but, if you take your boxes with you, everything will arrive at the same time. Surely you have someone there who could help you get to the station, whether Amtrack or Greyhound and your boyfriend could get them all when he picks you up.
BUT...Was just reading through your post again and had another idea. If you could handle driving all the way there, since you said time is no concern, why not rent a U-Haul van? You rent it going one way, load everything up, drive to Ohio, and drop it off at the nearest U-Haul drop off. Never mind. The van and pick up can't be used for that drive I guestimated. Smallest you could get would be a 10' truck...for $2418! Just a thought! Sorry!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:50 AM

4,769 posts, read 5,301,548 times
UPS may pick it up from your house (I know they did years ago).
Call them & check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or