U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:39 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,877,680 times

Advertisements

I'm having a tough time deciding what to not bring. Anyone face these issues and how did you make final decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 PM

21,127 posts, read 30,224,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I'm having a tough time deciding what to not bring. Anyone face these issues and how did you make final decisions?
Ahhh, the guilt!

I would think long and hard about furniture pieces as you will regret dumping grandma's old mahogany chest of drawers for something from "Furniture Mart" unless grandma's stuff is too horrendous to bring along (i.e. the gold floral sofa I donated to charity without flinching). Well made furniture outlasts generations whereas knick- knacks such as crystal, china and silver have become passe and probably will never be considered collectible again. I guess it would also help to now what you're lamenting. Are they tsotchkes or larger pieces?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM

21,625 posts, read 14,225,540 times
I did this a few months ago. I had things I had acquired from family or through careful selection for myself. I tended to keep things I liked, and I got rid of things I didn't want anymore or felt were no longer useful. If it was worn out, I threw it out. But we donated many things, and we intend to take the values off our tax bill.

We decided not to bring an old bedroom set that we'd had since 1970. It was good quality, and it had lived a long life. For us, it was time to let go. An older sofa did not make the cut, because I was tired of it. I decided to keep virtually all the art I had bought on trips, but I find that I will probably not have the wall space to hang all of it. I elected to donate pieces of stoneware my mom had bought, because I don't use it, and don't want to collect it. I kept a few pieces I like. All the family stuff was packed professionally, and I hope it makes it here undamaged.

I pitched out quite a few Christmas ornaments, and all our our tree and exterior lights. Those are fairly easy to replace, and a lot of it was old. I donated about 1/2 of my books, on the theory that I won't have nearly as much bookshelf space at my new digs, and it turns out that I was correct. I have a weakness for hand thrown pottery. It is probably the only thing I have collected for all of my married life. I don't have an extensive collection, but I do have a several nice pieces. I had it all packed. There is not one piece I did not want. I could remember every purchase.

I'd recommend keeping all or most of the family pieces, especially if they are not unusually heavy. If your things are, say, mostly heavy Victorian antiques, then whether you can afford to have them properly packed and shipped is probably going to be the deciding factor in choosing what to keep. If what you are having trouble parting with is an extensive collection of things that don't each have a high intrinsic value, then I'd consider keeping a few pieces, and donating or selling the rest.

If cost is the main factor you are dealing with, then you'll have to decide what you must have, what you value the most, and what you can live without. I'd keep the things you value, whether they are intrinsically valuable, but resign yourself to "downsizing" in other respects. We all have to make choices from time to time.

I gave a few things to friends as remembrances, and I was surprised at how positive the reactions were. I was a little worried they would think I was just trying to palm stuff on them, but they seemed genuinely appreciative. I selected the items especially for them. It was a positive experience. I recommend doing this.

If you are having trouble dealing with making choices, finding yourself unable to decide whether to keep even mundane items others are urging you to discard, then I'd recommend asking for help from someone you trust absolutely to assist you in thinking about this. How you think about what you are doing makes all the difference in how you take/don't take action in this regard.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 PM

9,668 posts, read 15,805,404 times
I have been slowly pruning such stuff. Its hard, each item has a sentimental value. But, you don't want to wait until you're forced to move and have emotional overload getting rid of stuffl here's what I've been doing--

Take pictures of the item, and make an album. I include some notes about what it is and why it was significant---for example, this was bought at my mother's favorite restaurant gift shop, the last time we had lunch together. Well, so far, its all a pdf file, but I intend to make a hardcover book someday. I find it transfers the memories from the object to the pciture, then, its not so hard to give up the item.My philosophy---let someone else enjoy it now.

Problem is, I inherited a whole house of stuff, seems I will never get rid of it all

Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 PM

27 posts, read 67,490 times
One factor may be how stable your next situation is and how sure you are it will work out in the long term, i.e., are you moving to a new location with a sure job or are you uprooting to try out a new part of the country?

In my case it was an uprooting, and I decided to purge 90%, didn't have time to worry about selling things, just gave to charity and also a resale shop near my old place. WOW was I sorry in a way a month or so later, but on the other hand -- no. I've grieved for the things I let go of but I felt "done" with most of those things, also had been carting them around for a dozen years and moving basically from one closet space to another!

So I think this is such a mixed bag, there's no right answer. If you don't give things away you avoid future regrets, but if practical matters are foremost, it's sometimes good to let a lot of things go, even if you feel pangs about it at some later date.

I moved to a new region of the country, a few things didn't work out in my place, now I'm moving to another furnished place in a new part of the state to try out. It's so easy to pack up this time, feel a lot lighter and freer, can try something without the burden of packing up all the old rarely-used stuff again.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM

639 posts, read 1,546,367 times
I have some furniture that belonged to my great-grandparents. It's hideous (yellow/gold floral like someone else mentioned, I guess it used to be in style) but in decent condition and I would feel really bad throwing/giving it away. I'm considering trying to pawn it off on relatives but I doubt they will want to store it either. And it's so big and heavy I can't even move it by myself. It's been in the family too long to get rid of it...just don't know what to do with it.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM

21,625 posts, read 14,225,540 times
If the furniture is usable, consider putting it in a consignment store. Or if you don't want to do that, have the Savation Army or other charity pick the stuff up for placement in a thrift shop. Take a deduction on your taxes for your donation.

Or, put an ad in Craigslist. But I am a little leery of having strangers come into my house.

We donated a bunch of furniture before our move.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 PM

1,557 posts, read 568,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
I have some furniture that belonged to my great-grandparents. It's hideous (yellow/gold floral like someone else mentioned, I guess it used to be in style) but in decent condition and I would feel really bad throwing/giving it away. I'm considering trying to pawn it off on relatives but I doubt they will want to store it either. And it's so big and heavy I can't even move it by myself. It's been in the family too long to get rid of it...just don't know what to do with it.
We have been through this in our family, too. Concerning upholstered furniture, if it is a good quality piece of furniture, have it re-upholstered to suit your tastes. Just make sure the furniture piece has "good bones" , because re-upholstering furniture is not cheap. Possible option: we had the inmates at the state prison re-upholster a sofa and love seat once; it is a part of the correctional industries program in our state. Another option: sign up for an upholstering class at your local community colege [the downside of this, at least at our college, is that you have to cart your piece back and forth every week].

Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 AM

19,685 posts, read 19,794,106 times
I asked my 'kids' if they wanted anything. They aren't into antiques for their own sake but did want some things.
Everything else went to auction.
There's nothing left that anybody has to worry about whether or not it has any real value.
There is still a lot, like dishes,bowls,etc, that have collectable value but I keep them because I use and prefer them to what's available now plus ,admittedly, a few smalls that I just love.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,626,592 times
I decided I would not be able to take those things with me anyway. I limited myself to one box, and kept a few picture albums, books, jewlery, and knick knacks. No regrets. It is just stuff.

Moving large pieces of furniture is just not feasible. Those things would have tied me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues