U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 AM

218 posts, read 230,880 times

Advertisements

It's funny.....I slept peacefully last night. I don't understand why going to San Diego makes me feel uneasy. I really love San Diego. It makes me feel good to be there. It is our dream.

It makes no sense to me why I would not jump on the opportunity, even given the financial risk. I think it must be an excuse to not go. I really don't understand t at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 AM

468 posts, read 517,925 times
So is it definite that you are NOT going?
Did your husband officially turn down the San Diego job?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,859,103 times
I think your husband made the right decision - and I think subconsciously you know it, too. IF I were in your position, staying put and opting for stability at this point in your lives is the smarter option. There is still plenty of time to be wild and carefree.

My husband and I are moving to Tennessee. We have lived in many places around the country but the reason we chose it was 98% financial and because we can afford to live there comfortably, we can still do what gives us great joy -- travel. We get to live on our incomes with enough left over to still plan the 2 week cruise on the Danube, to drive -- somewhere west since that is the part of this country we have seen the least; to fly to Seattle to visit friends, to head into the Sandia Mountains, to go north to Wyoming and Idaho even, etc.

This move is a "risk" for us - we have no family there, I've made on-line friends near where we're moving to, but we are basically just going in blind. We might love it - there's no guarantee - but there are no children depending on us and if it doesn't work out, we can pack up (ugh) and move again. And that's what you two can do when the time is right - when you know your retirement is funded; not when you're in the middle of funding it.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
So is it definite that you are NOT going?
Did your husband officially turn down the San Diego job?
It is definite. A couple of his former colleagues work at the local company. He met with them for lunch yesterday and got a really good feeling about the job and the company.

He will turn down the San Diego job today. He received confirmation of his cleared background screening for the local job this morning. He's confirmed to start his new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I think your husband made the right decision - and I think subconsciously you know it, too. IF I were in your position, staying put and opting for stability at this point in your lives is the smarter option. There is still plenty of time to be wild and carefree.

My husband and I are moving to Tennessee. We have lived in many places around the country but the reason we chose it was 98% financial and because we can afford to live there comfortably, we can still do what gives us great joy -- travel. We get to live on our incomes with enough left over to still plan the 2 week cruise on the Danube, to drive -- somewhere west since that is the part of this country we have seen the least; to fly to Seattle to visit friends, to head into the Sandia Mountains, to go north to Wyoming and Idaho even, etc.

This move is a "risk" for us - we have no family there, I've made on-line friends near where we're moving to, but we are basically just going in blind. We might love it - there's no guarantee - but there are no children depending on us and if it doesn't work out, we can pack up (ugh) and move again. And that's what you two can do when the time is right - when you know your retirement is funded; not when you're in the middle of funding it.
I think the fact that we could sell our house here and use the equity to buy a nice house just about anywhere in the country is what is keeping us on this path.

Trying to find something relatively reasonably priced, within a reasonable commute, within a community we feel we would fit in, just won't work for us in San Diego without a big mortgage. I don't mind downsizing. Ultimately, we would like to live in a condo in the Marina District in downtown San Diego. If we could pay cash for it, the condo fees won't be such a bother. Right now, it's not possible. But in 5 or 10 years, I know we can if we keep going at this pace.

We also enjoy traveling. It is our hobby.

Good luck with your move. Tennessee is beautiful. We drove through Tennessee on our way to Huntsville, AL a few years back. We loved it!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM

Barberry, why were you traveling to Huntsville, AL if you don't mind my asking?
It is on my 'short list' of places to move to, even though I've never actually been there.
We are planning a week-long visit in early October to get a 'feel' for things.
We've been residing in central IL for the past six years and I absolutely hate the winters.
We lived in north FL for many years and loved it, but we need to be closer to our families (mine in IL and husbands in MI) so north AL seems like it might be a good compromise with much milder winters.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Barberry, why were you traveling to Huntsville, AL if you don't mind my asking?
It is on my 'short list' of places to move to, even though I've never actually been there.
We are planning a week-long visit in early October to get a 'feel' for things.
We've been residing in central IL for the past six years and I absolutely hate the winters.
We lived in north FL for many years and loved it, but we need to be closer to our families (mine in IL and husbands in MI) so north AL seems like it might be a good compromise with much milder winters.

My daughter went to Space Camp at the NASA/US Space Center in Huntsville, NC. We drove her to camp and spent a week hanging out there.

I am originally from the Northeast....so, I can sympathize with hating long, cold winters! Never again for us.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM

So what did you think of Huntsville after spending a week there?

Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
So what did you think of Huntsville after spending a week there?
I did not see a lot of the area. It was sort of like a second "honeymoon" for us.

But....

The people were friendly. Most of the area seemed safe. There was a sort of dicey area (I believe near the mall) where there were some project housing.

I really liked the historic district homes. The area seemed similar to Florida in the strip center/highway sort of way. If I remember right, some really nice suburban areas were not too far from the commercial area of University Ave.

My friend's husband worked for NASA in Huntsville. He loved living there. He loved his job and the people. My friend did not enjoy it. She said she was bored.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks Barberry.
That pretty much confirms the impression I've gotten from all my research.
We'll actually be looking at rural property around Huntsville if we decide it's the right "fit" for us.
We have 9 rescue dogs (mostly big mutts) that need plenty of space.
Oh, and I'm glad you had an opportunity for a 'second honeymoon'.
Sounds like you enjoyed it

Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Barberry.
That pretty much confirms the impression I've gotten from all my research.
We'll actually be looking at rural property around Huntsville if we decide it's the right "fit" for us.
We have 9 rescue dogs (mostly big mutts) that need plenty of space.
Oh, and I'm glad you had an opportunity for a 'second honeymoon'.
Sounds like you enjoyed it
I think you would really enjoy the scenery in the rural area of Huntsville.

Best wishes to you and your "babies."

Just curious...Are there any other areas you are considering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues