U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 AM
 
Location: somewhere
181 posts, read 444,710 times
Reputation: 190

Advertisements

Hi,

Would love to hear from people who have done this. How hard was it, any horror stories? Did you do it alone? Best routes to take? How long and how many stops for you?

I looked into shipping my car and it was way too expensive. I won't have time to sell my car and then buy another one when I get there. I'd love to ditch the car altogether, but turns out I will need the car for work. If I'm taking the car I don't have to ship my stuff, and I can keep more of my stuff. Also, call me crazy, but it kind of sounds like an adventure. Ok, maybe not. But there's a part of me that wants to say I did it. On my own.

My mom has offered to ride with me and then fly back. I'm not thrilled about this idea, even though she would probably help out with driving, gas, and hotel rooms. She drives me up the wall, and the idea of being trapped in a car with her for 4 days is not too appealing:roll eyes: Besides, I am not a kid...I shouldn't need Mommy! I think I'd consider it with a friend, but none of my friends are available. So I will probably do it alone. I'll be fine, right? I have Auto Club if anything goes wrong.

Thoughts? I leave at the end of October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM
 
Location: On the sunny side of a mountain
3,174 posts, read 6,999,133 times
Reputation: 6498
Leaving from, going to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 AM
 
18,856 posts, read 31,539,921 times
Reputation: 26096
I have moved and driven across the country several times. Before going, take your car in to the dealer for a full check up. Have the tire tread looked at, check the spare, get whatever needs replacement done. My last trip I did this, and replaced the brakes and timing belt. Fine. I would rather do that at home then stranded some place.

If your Mom has offered to come help, accept it gladly. It is safer. Have a great road trip bonding with your Mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 11:44 AM
 
Location: somewhere
181 posts, read 444,710 times
Reputation: 190
Leaving from L.A., going to Boston.

Will definitely have the car checked out prior.

You haven't met my mom:-) I think I'd rather risk it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 12:26 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 31,539,921 times
Reputation: 26096
I would do i-15 through to i-70 cut off to I 80. Not a bad route. That time of year, should be okay. More iffy in December and January. I plan about ten hours of driving a day. Two long days, one easy day. Two long days. Should take about 5 or 6 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Status: "On The Lookout" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,357 posts, read 61,547,359 times
Reputation: 31868
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
Best routes to take? How long and how many stops for you?
I think I'd consider it with a friend, but none of my friends are available.
So I will probably do it alone. I'll be fine, right?

I have Auto Club if anything goes wrong.
Thoughts? I leave at the end of October.
LA to Boston is no less than 3000 miles (per google) so allow 3400 with stops and such.
At an avg road speed of 60mph... that comes out to 50 hours rolling.
At 8 hrs per day driving and a weather/rest allowance... that's better than 7 days in transit.

That means 3000 miles of fuel plus the costs of 7 motel stays and 21 Denny's Grand Slams
(The default road meal)

Be sure the car is in GREAT shape with good tires and brakes especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: somewhere
181 posts, read 444,710 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
LA to Boston is no less than 3000 miles (per google) so allow 3400 with stops and such.
At an avg road speed of 60mph... that comes out to 50 hours rolling.
At 8 hrs per day driving and a weather/rest allowance... that's better than 7 days in transit.

That means 3000 miles of fuel plus the costs of 7 motel stays and 21 Denny's Grand Slams
(The default road meal)

Be sure the car is in GREAT shape with good tires and brakes especially.
This seems awfully slow! I was thinking of more like 4-5 days of hard driving. But I guess we'll see.
I think I'll pass on the Denny's

I'm rethinking shipping the car. Seems stupid, because it's not a fabulous car or anything...but it would save me all this trouble. I got one quote so far, at $1000. If I'm making more than three overnight stops, it would actually pay to ship the car I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,213,011 times
Reputation: 22334
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
Hi,

Would love to hear from people who have done this. How hard was it, any horror stories? Did you do it alone? Best routes to take? How long and how many stops for you?

I looked into shipping my car and it was way too expensive. I won't have time to sell my car and then buy another one when I get there. I'd love to ditch the car altogether, but turns out I will need the car for work. If I'm taking the car I don't have to ship my stuff, and I can keep more of my stuff. Also, call me crazy, but it kind of sounds like an adventure. Ok, maybe not. But there's a part of me that wants to say I did it. On my own.

My mom has offered to ride with me and then fly back. I'm not thrilled about this idea, even though she would probably help out with driving, gas, and hotel rooms. She drives me up the wall, and the idea of being trapped in a car with her for 4 days is not too appealing:roll eyes: Besides, I am not a kid...I shouldn't need Mommy! I think I'd consider it with a friend, but none of my friends are available. So I will probably do it alone. I'll be fine, right? I have Auto Club if anything goes wrong.

Thoughts? I leave at the end of October.
I would very strongly suggest taking your mother up on her offer. It is an unfortunate fact that a woman traveling alone is a target. By having another person there, it will reduce your odds that something unsavory could happen. It would be even better if you had a gun, but since states seem to have different laws concerning guns, perhaps you would be better counseled to have a baseball bat handy instead (and some pepper spray, but check the laws first).

It would be smart to not drive after dark if you can help it. Make sure you make any reservations for hotels way in advance so that you don't have to try to find a room after a long day of driving when you are exhausted.

In 1976 I drove from Virginia to Arizona alone (well, I had a dog). I am a person who enjoys my own company so didn't mind it, except for the tornado in Knoxville that I got really, really close to.

Check out these websites if you think that there is no danger being a single woman on the road..

NamUs - National Missing and Unidentified Persons System Welcome to the Doe Network

20yrsinbranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM
 
Location: somewhere
181 posts, read 444,710 times
Reputation: 190
Yeah...I know. It's a dumb thing to do. Especially for a woman who looks like me...I don't blend in so well. Ok, ok. I guess I was being romantic to think it would be some empowering thing, like I am literally leaving my past behind and making a run for it, something out of a movie. How dumb can I be, right?

So it's just deciding between Mom and shipping the car. I'm leaning towards shipping the car. Especially because Mom has certain dates she can't do it--so I would be forced to wait around for her, delay my plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Status: "On The Lookout" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,357 posts, read 61,547,359 times
Reputation: 31868
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
I'm rethinking shipping the car. Seems stupid, because it's not a fabulous car or anything...
Sell the car in LA. Buy another car in MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top