Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times

Advertisements

We are now 3 months out from moving 500 miles. We already have a place to live; DH is retiring, so we're not looking for a job; no kids to worry about schools. We've been sorting, packing and moving stuff up periodically for 3 years now. All the fragile & heirloom stuff has already gone up - but it feels like we've only emptied 1/2 the house!

So.. aside from more sorting, tossing out junk and packing.. what should we be looking at doing at this point? Heck, I've even been scouting dr's that will be on the new insurance come next Jan. Choosing a moving company I think has to wait until we're closer to 1 month out?

I think the trickiest part that I can think of, is that we have to get the movers to pack the van (we'll box it all) the day after Christmas, and that morning (during all the packing!) I have to head out with the cats so I can be there before the van comes in - and so that the movers don't hit the weekend (I suspect it would cost more if they unpack on a Sat). DH won't be arriving until New years.

I just feel like we're overlooking things but I don't know what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
Actually, three months is plenty of time to do what needs to be done.

Regardless of the size of your home or distance that you're relocating, the most important part of moving goes into the planning.

As you've already learned, the best way to pack is to purge. Once you've satisfied yourself that you're down to the essentials you want to take to your new home, get at least three in-home estimates from reputable LOCAL movers. There are quite a few excellent candidates in your market but also a whole bunch of fly-by-night rogue operators. Don't shop by price. Look for best value.

Suggest you visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Protect Your Move website and download and READ Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move. Every mover and mover broker who provides you with an interstate estimate is required by law to provide you with a copy.

It helps to know what information to ask about when setting up your estimates. You might also me interested in a downloading a copy of the FMCSA's Moving Checklist and RELO Roundtable's free Moving Cost Estimate Comparison Tool.

Some full service moving companies and DIY moving services adjust both their pricing and transit schedules between Thanksgiving and New Year. Your price may be higher and your pick up and/or delivery spread may be longer because of your intended move dates.

The holiday season is when many of long distance over-the-road drivers and independent owner-operators go out-of-service to spend time with their families. Since the kids are normally out of school during winter break, many families try schedule their moves at the same time creating a short-term capacity shortage. Supply and demand puts pressure on price and service.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 AM

thanks, Rikki, I'll check out the links. I called some movers (national chains) a while back and determined that they doactually work during that week (they may up the rates, but I can't do anything about that! retirement is the end of the year and we need to be non-residents of this state before Jan 1. so...). I just talked to s small local company that someone in another forum used when they moved from my same town a few years ago - still in business, and willing to move that week also. Advantage to the small company is that they never combine loads, so only my stuff would go in the truck. Only way anything else would go with it was if they had a box or two (not much) that was actually needed to be dropped off on the way. Personally, I'm not sure how much space would be left!

It's sad: 2 packrats, even sorting through stuff, still have a heck of a lot. We can't help it: we feel that it's cheaper to move stuff we already have than to toss it and buy new. esp when retirement checks will take months to kick in!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 AM

Walmart will be open during the holidays too, but don't expect to get great service when shopping there.

The transportation rates for most household goods carriers are usually calculated based on a combination of weight and distance. The more weight you have, the greater your final costs. Consumable products that are eventually included in a customer's shipment effectively increase the final price of each item far above what was paid at the checkout counter.

Would you pay $2.75 for a 15½ ounce can of generic cut corn, canned peas, or french cut green beans? What about $12.00 for a five (5) pound bag of long grain white rice? Six bucks for a 64 oz bottle of store-brand unsweetened grape juice?

That's what your food, toiletries, and cleaning products might cost if you move them. Consider donating to Move for Hunger. It's cheaper than taking it with you.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:45 PM

I hear ya. as to the timing - can't be helped. DH has to go to the end of the year for best pension and we have to be out by the end of the year. so... right after christmas. not necessarily the best time to move to NH either, but.... we'll just have to make it work.

Certainly the van isn't going to be moving that sort of stuff. The cats and all their necessities go up with me, and other sensitive stuff that hasn't already gone up will go up a week later with DH. Stuff that you're listing is really very minor compared to the mountain of books and magazines and assorted stuff that is/will be moving. The van gets the furniture (a couple of things stay behind) and anything we haven't taken up ourselves (which is quite a lot).

Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
Find a new vet, and the closest emergency vet in your new area. Cats can get really stressed out by moving and end up getting hurt or sick. Other than that, you sound pretty much good to go!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:40 PM

We already know where our new vet will be: about 10 min away! and they made a folder for one of the boys already (we tried to buy a bag of prescription food.. didn't realize you can't do that!). I don't think there are any emergency vets in the area.

right now, we've spent the day clearing out 6 bags of recycle & filling a contractor bag full of trash - to finish boxing up one of the rooms and clearing most of my computer desk/hutch. Then we can use that to stage pulling the rest of the stuff out of the attic and re-boxing the boxes that have 'given up'.

I think we're in good enough shape that if we spend a day or two of concerted effort in one room at a time.. we can probably get it boxed up (saving out the stuff we use regularly still).

Yes, Eevee.. I do worry a lot about the cats - only 2 are good in the car and they've never been in that long! but I've been worrying about it for over a year and I have plan A and plan B! I may even end up doing both, I just haven't decided.

btw: how are clothes (foldable, not stuff on hangers) usually packed these days? toss them in a contractor bag, big box, or leave them in their dresser drawers that are removed from the dressers?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Depends on the weight and density of the clothes in each drawer and quality of the material used in the construction of each dresser.

Leaving clothes in the drawer of dresser that hasn't been moved in years and then putting in a cold moving truck to bounce around in a different temperature environment is asking for damage to each piece of furniture.

Professional movers generally don't like to touch anything packed in plastic bags because of handling difficulty and liability issues. Best to pack clothes in small (1.5 cuft) or medium (3.0 cuft) carton for easy carrying and stacking.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 PM

huh. I know they like to take all the drawers out of dressers & desks, I thought they just left all the contents in them (maybe but in a plastic bag to keep things from spilling). Well, I suppose I can pack the clothes. Really, we're just talking t-shirts, underwear, jeans, button down shirts.... nothing really fancy. all my sweatshirts & long sleeve shirts live in plastic tubs already.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
If you already have a place to live, you can set up your residency by changing your driver's license, car tags, auto insurance and voting registration. It doesn't matter that you still "live" in your other house.

We bought a house in November of 2011, changed our "residency" in April 2012, and didn't move until May. Moved 600 miles, sent a lot of stuff ahead of us, remodeled the new house, sold the house, changed residency, and then moved. Very calculated and organized. Like you, retirement, no kids..

We packed for months! It is not too early to secure quotes and set up your movers. They can actually tell you what will make their job easier and what they can/cannot pack or will/will not insure. It's a complicated process, I got 5 estimates and they were all over the map with price. Since you are moving during a holiday week and at the end of the year, you want to get on their docket NOW so that you are assured that you will be serviced at that time. Our movers let us keep light weight clothing in dressers, and they "shrink wrapped" it and moved it with drawers intact. Did it for all of the dressers, nightstands and chests.

Start contacting magazine subscriptions to be changed effective 1/1/2013~print up new address labels to send in your holiday cards, visit all of your doctors and dentists for the last time and ask them for the forms for having your records sent to the new provider (each one has their own form and policy for sending). If any of them will make copies and let you hand carry them, do so. It will make establishing a new doctor, dentist or vet, so much easier.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues