U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 AM

25 posts, read 50,662 times

Advertisements

On this forums and everywhere else I see this advice to - sell/donate your stuff if it costs more to move than their current resale (e.g. craigslist).

What I don't get is - why do people discount how much time, effort and overall aggravation it takes to offload your old stuff and THAN buy it all back at the new, plus you have to do without while you looking for all the replacement pieces.

Like in my workshop - I probably have $10-$20K invested in tools/machinery over the years - I can offload it for probably $4-$5K, but it would mean taking on a full time job for a couple months listing items and dealing with craigslist clowns or packing/shipping with ebay sales.

And buying stuff back almost always means wasting a bunch of time scanning all the overpriced classifieds until a decent deal pops-up, than driving for hours to get the stuff, dealing with lying/clueless sellers miss-advertising their warez and failing to disclose all the things that needs fixing - either that or pay 10 times more for the new stuff than you just sold your old stuff for, and than you STILL have to pay for shipping/moving.

I just helped my parents with a coast-to-coast move, my sister with a move to another county, and moved some of my own stuff to a different state. Now contemplating another move, it's still some time in the future but likely a big one (CT to CA). So while on the moving subject - I just don't get this whole buying/selling stuff thing. Do people have no jobs, no money, and all the time in the world, or am I missing something???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM

2,110 posts, read 3,845,652 times
You're missing the point that it's not either sell EVERYTHING or move EVERYTHING.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
You're missing the point that it's not either sell EVERYTHING or move EVERYTHING.
That's taking the heading a bit too literally. Of course whatever mode of transportation - you are allowed to bring "some" possessions, we aren't talking about going to jail here. It's the cases where say your stuff/furniture might only have $300-$400 resale value or less, and you are looking to spend say $500 on a truck rental... what do you do? Common advice I hear is - toss it and start fresh, and than people end up sleeping on air mattresses, eating at a kitchen counter and spend all the free time driving around looking for garage sales instead of settling in the new place.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,440,071 times
Find a household that doesn't have at least a few things that aren't really needed. getting rid of that type of thing makes more sense than trying to move it.

I can remember a time when the kids were young, that we had junk furniture. We had gotten it as we needed it. I wouldn't have missed it if we had moved and had to buy new 'junk' furniture. I wouldn't have gotten rid of good stuff, but quite a few people have the furniture, etc. that they bought when they were first starting along the marriage route. Moving provides the chance to get rid of it..

Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM

74 posts, read 104,788 times
Dude. I asked the exact same question. I have moved around a bit and had nice things over the years and like a few swift kicks to the head I had to learn not to hold on to things. The only reason I can see to go through with it is that old couch, or old bed you are used to and like it. I lived in Chicago last and had wasted a great deal of time on what to do with my things, sell them yes, keep them probably not. I had a gotten the stuff on the cheap but they were all great deals that took me a while to find and I think the work I put into finding them I could not let go of. Time is way more critical in these moments than what to do with things it's one thing to sell a bed because you want a new one, but to put all the effort into it before a move, yuck. And then to consider keeping the stuff is just a head ache especially in the world of craigslist depending on what city you live in if you're smart you can find new stuff in a day. What ultimately ended up happening which was hard was I left my entire apartment of nice furniture behind not because I wanted to, but what is the alternative when in limbo keep the stuff at this point, or put the time, thought and effort into selling it, it's just stuff. So what I got a good deal on it and it was nice. Things are WAY over rated and can keep you from moving forward sometimes. Coming to grips with the fact that if you want to move you are going to have to start over anyway is most of the problem. Let go people!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
I guess you decide, if you let possessions chain you to a place, like a dog, chained to a tie down.

I choose not to let possessions own me. I conciously made this choice, and have a lifestyle, with very few belongings. It matters little to me, if I am sitting on a fancy, expensive sofa, or sitting on a beach chair. Same thing to me. I am not home much, with work, gym, errands, travel, I sleep there, and store clothes there, that is about it. Sometimes, I eat there. I don't need a bunch of stuff.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess you decide, if you let possessions chain you to a place, like a dog, chained to a tie down.

I choose not to let possessions own me. I conciously made this choice, and have a lifestyle, with very few belongings. It matters little to me, if I am sitting on a fancy, expensive sofa, or sitting on a beach chair. Same thing to me. I am not home much, with work, gym, errands, travel, I sleep there, and store clothes there, that is about it. Sometimes, I eat there. I don't need a bunch of stuff.
Doesn't make sense to me. You'd still need furniture and stuff to eat/cook/sleep/sit/rest/play/whatever. Any guy toys - bike/boat/plane/atv/snowmobile, nothing? Family?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM

15,691 posts, read 26,663,721 times
When my parents left their home of 38 years for a new home in Arizona they got rid of the old items that are easy to replace, tossed items that they would never use again, let us 8 kids go through items that we may like, and hauled all the items that are too costly to replace, or have some other value to them. My dad collected two things over the years, tools and books. He did not want to ever part with either. It would have been too costly to replace. They took the bed that he had built but not the mattress and box spring.

On one of the trips to visit the home they made a trip to a furniture store and purchased new furniture to go with the new home. They went and bought a new front loading washer and dryer for the laundry room as well and since at the old home had the old tube style TV's they bought flat screens for the new home. For them though, it was about having a new home and getting new things that fitt the new home. I am sure that this wouldn't be justified for others but for them it worked and was a planned event.

The truth is that is just depends on what your goal is and how much it would cost to replace the things that you are not wanting to move.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Find a household that doesn't have at least a few things that aren't really needed. getting rid of that type of thing makes more sense than trying to move it.

I can remember a time when the kids were young, that we had junk furniture. We had gotten it as we needed it. I wouldn't have missed it if we had moved and had to buy new 'junk' furniture. I wouldn't have gotten rid of good stuff, but quite a few people have the furniture, etc. that they bought when they were first starting along the marriage route. Moving provides the chance to get rid of it..
Yeah, good point about getting rid of stuff you don't need! Of course just because you don't need it at a moment, doesn't mean you will not need it in the future. It's like a law of nature - every time I throw out a piece of lumber - a day later I have a project where I need it lol. Here's my little personal story - a little while ago I finally motivated my wife to put her car up for sale (she hasn't used it in a year). Took her a couple months to get it sold ...and a week later my sister urgently needs a car cause she's moving from the city back to suburbs. Fortunately I was able to get my wife's car back, cause the guy she sold it to had a hard time coming up with cash. Otherwise I"d be looking in to spending the next week or two driving around checking out used cars ...agh an experience I don't miss

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
Quote:
You'd still need furniture and stuff to eat/cook/sleep/sit/rest/play/whatever. Any guy toys - bike/boat/plane/atv/snowmobile, nothing? Family?
Those things are easily rented, and when you look at the cost of owning one, storing it, maintaining those things, it is easier, and cheaper to rent. For example, I go skiing about 10 times a year, new ski equipment costs about $2000. And, needs to be replaced every couple of years. I can rent top of the line, ski equipment, for about $400 for ten days. And, every year, I can use the top of the line rentals, with the newest skiis. So, in five years, I have spent my $2000, but never had to manage storing the equipment, or upgrading it...because you would have to outlay the money for new stuff anyway.

Boat, same thing, I go boating, maybe twice a year, a boat can be rented easily. Snowmobile, ATV...

A bike, I don't own a bike, I would not use it, I go to the gym. If I needed one, I could borrow one or rent it.

As for stuff at home? Really? No one "needs" a 50" tv, a giant sofa, expensive dishes, oak furniture. Those things are "nice", but hardly necessary for daily living. I had a friend, who purchased a bed for $2500, just the mattress, and then, the bedroom furniture, for another $5000. $7500, just for the bedroom?! And...she had to move, she did have the funds to move that furniture. I would never have that money, so, I don't invest in things like that. I know, I just don't have the money, to hire movers, and a van. I have to move my own stuff. So, why bother with a huge outlay of cash for furniture? I suppose, also, I have a limited income, with not much disposable cash...So, even the thought, of buying that much furniture, is mind boggling to me. I do fine, with a cheap futon. I bought it at Wal Mart, works fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or