U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM

70 posts, read 249,522 times

Advertisements

Ditto to all the great tips above. Here are a few others.

When you get to family photos and other memorabilia...don't stop and "pine" over every item. Just pack it, otherwise you'll waste too much time. Now, having said that, if you have enough time in advance, you might want to cull out some of the items so that your load is smaller.

If you have kids, tell them about the upcoming move and let them choose a few things to keep out until the last day. Let it be their decision. Remind them that everthing will get to the new house soon.

Keep your prescription meds, important household documents and jewelry with you and in a safe place.

Use little hanging "price tags" on a string to identify which lampshade goes w/ which lamp. #1 lampshade and #1 lamp. Pack the lampshade in its own box. Label the box TOP LOAD only and on the sides of the box draw arrows pointing up to the top of the box.

Use LOTS of packing paper. Crumple a layer on the bottom for cushion, and even a layer on top. Make sure your box closes flat and won't sink into itself when another box is placed on top.

Bubble wrap: You really don't need much, if any bubble wrap. Packing paper protects most items.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,726,980 times
I have a studio-apartment-worth of belongings. I always pack the least-important items first so I don't mind them sitting in boxes for a little while. I spread out my packing over a week or so in order to not be cramming it and overwhelmed on the eve of the move.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 AM

3,505 posts, read 5,655,264 times
I also always pack a couple "OPEN ME FIRST" boxes - with a couple towels, couple rolls of toilet paper and paper towels, matt knives for opening all those boxes, some big garbage bags, bottle of hand soap, paper plates and plastic utensils, corkscrew (if applicable), light bulbs (or a lamp if you have no light anywhere), one pot, instant coffee, a couple mugs, a good knife for cutting cheese/whatever . . .

Just think about what you might need for the first night or first couple of nights. I also packed sheets for the beds which the movers set up.

Also, I ALWAYS have the front door locks changed when I move into a new house . . you never know how many keys are 'out there' . . .

All the best!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 PM

3,237 posts, read 4,555,027 times
My technique has been:

Clothing is packed first with just a couple of days worth being kept unpacked.
Kitchen stuff is packed second. I leave out enough for me, I just wash more often.
Stage things in the order they will go to the truck.
Have a hand truck, they come in very handy not just for moving but for general use. It will save you a lot of time.
Pack up other stuff that you won't use very much or can go without using such as musical instruments, computer printers, guest bedroom, etc...

Personally, I take the mentality of "living out of a ruck" for a week or two before I move. Basically, I'm down to a couple sets of clothes and personal hygiene items.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 AM

34,610 posts, read 33,607,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey7083 View Post
I have an entire house to begin packing for a move in the next month or so. Where do you begin? I had a yard sale and got rid of unnecessary items. Have boxes and want to start doing some packing this weekend. Do you usually start with the closets? The laundry room? The kitchen?

I was wondering where do I start packing?

Any advice from those of you who have moved before would be helpful.

And thanks to all of you who post on this forum, it is very useful info!

Casey
Is there any room from which you are not taking furniture to your new location?

In my last move I had those terrific guys from Got Junk not only remove stuff I wasn't taking with me but furniture as well. I didn't take my bedroom set so they came about 2 - 3 weeks before I moved and carted it away. I slept on the couch until move day but it allowed me to use that empty bedroom as a staging room for box packing.

My other advice is don't flit from room to room. Complete a room before moving on to the next one. Also, if you are driving to the new location, think about what you might take with you in the car to have with you in the new place before the moving van arrives days later. I recommend a folding chair (aluminum lawn chair is light), a dish, cup, a book, one set of utensils, toothbrush, sleeping bag, a lamp (could be a small desk lamp), a bath towel and a shower curtain. If you have a desk top, you might want to take that in the car, too. You can buy soap, shampoo, toilet paper, etc., when you get there.

If electric has to be turned on in the new place, make sure you know in advance if you have to take care of it in person and if so, when their office hours are.

I stayed in a motel for 2 days and used it as a base from which to do my new furniture shopping and only went to the apartment after I did some grocery and minor item shopping but you still need something to sit on and a cup for water and even a set of utensils if you get take out and a shower curtain and towel.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:00 AM

4,190 posts, read 4,386,438 times
I have moved several time and think start packing the stuff that breaks first. You get tired and sloppy the more you pack so do the stuff that breaks first.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 AM

3,505 posts, read 5,655,264 times
Forgot to mention, I also have a shoebox called REMOTES and every single remote for every single TV, computer, DVD player, stereo, fan, whatever, is in THAT BOX. It really is easier to have the remotes on one place than to pack them with their appliance (for want of a better term) as most of the time I don't have the original box and it's easy to throw out a remote with all the bubble wrap, newspaper, whatever packing material. Some of them don't weigh very much!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 PM

3,994 posts, read 7,276,809 times
As far as in what order to pack...I start with books and DVDs. Then knick knacks and other decor. In the kitchen I pack rarely used things first, like the turkey platter and the waffle iron. It's just the two of us, so I then pack all the dishes and silverware except 4 plates, bowls, glasses, etc.

Don't combine two rooms in one box. Label boxes not only as to what room but what's inside. Not just "kitchen" but "spices and serving utensils" too.

If you have room in your car, bring your vacuum cleaner with you.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,051,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey7083 View Post
I have an entire house to begin packing for a move in the next month or so. Where do you begin? I had a yard sale and got rid of unnecessary items. Have boxes and want to start doing some packing this weekend. Do you usually start with the closets? The laundry room? The kitchen?

I was wondering where do I start packing?

Any advice from those of you who have moved before would be helpful.

And thanks to all of you who post on this forum, it is very useful info!

Casey

I pick a room and start there, generally my craft room since I won't have time for sewing or anything until well after we get moved. Then I go to out of season clothing but only the pieces that are hanging in the closet, I do not pack any of the clothing out of dressers, I shrink wrap the dresser drawers and leave the clothing in the drawers. Knick knacks but I don't have many of those, items in the kitchen not used often, small appliances not used often. Right before we actually start loading I pack a box with items that I will need immediately like a couple outfits, socks, unders, extra shoes, tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, soap, dish soap, laundry detergent, towels, blankets, jammies, snacks, water, coffee, cream, sugar, tea bags, coffee maker, dish pan, at least one fry pan and one sauce pan, one of my slow cookers that has a base that can be used as a griddle, charcoal, lighter fluid, etc. You know what you will be needing immediately.
We also stack chairs and shrink wrap them as well as the hutch, book cases, mattress and box springs, any table that has fold out legs, and pretty much anything that has any part that will move. We also make sure all electronics are on charge all night before we move, including laptops, iphones, ipads, mini's, headsets, mifi, etc.
I also make sure at least one printer is available immediately and packed in the vehicle along with all my electronics, we never put electronics in the moving truck.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,599,235 times
I find packing a suitcase for every member is helpful. That way you don't have a ton of laundry to keep doing. Pack all your closet stuff and drawer stuff except your suitcase of essentials....Incl. make up bag, accessories, shoes...get it down to items you might pack for say a week trip, those put into a suitcase or duffle for each member.

I pack all extra kitchen stuff, pictures, knick knacks, books, everything you wouldn't use daily. Get your boxes all stacked in one room...making sure to label everything according to room. Extra blankets, towels etc.

Last week start on your other kitchen stuff...leave only the items you absolutely need. I even use paper plates and sort of picnic the last week. Pack your kitchen and bathroom last. Box your linens, some towels, kitchen and essentials...coffee maker, couple of pots etc...and keep track of those.

Keep track of important papers too, insurance, car insurance, moving utility numbers, school records etc...have a little box, or file set aside w/ those. There is nothing worse then getting there and needing papers that you 've packed too deeply...
Also, when you get moved, put your kitchen together first...your bathroom boxes towels essential in the bathroom, and make your beds...

You can live out of your suitcase while you unpack the next week. Having your kitchen sit up, and your bathroom will be so good, because these are the rooms you can escape too. Having the ability to eat a decent meal, take a nice soak, and sleep on your bed makes the rest of the moving work seem more bearable. Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues