Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,716,495 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're moving from NYC to Dallas TX and was wondering if anyone who has made the same move (or similar) had any national movers to recommend.

We're not taking much with us: just our bed, TV, small kitchen appliances and some books. All of furniture isn't nice enough to be worth taking with us so we're leaving it behind. We think all of our stuff would fit into a large van or the tiniest truck known to mankind, but we have no interest in moving it ourselves. We'd actually loose money if we took time off to do it ourselves VS. working those days and just flying down to Dallas while paying someone else to truck it.

So any recommendations? We live in a 6 floor walk up, and just in case it is recommended a pod service or UPS freight are not possible for us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,726,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
We're not taking much with us: just our bed, TV, small kitchen appliances and some books.
Take even less with you. Sell the TV and bed; box up the small appliances.
What's left... what will fit into a box... ship by UPS.

hth

Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 11 days ago)

43,465 posts, read 44,179,710 times
You could try Flatrate movers.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 AM

7,490 posts, read 13,543,400 times
What is the problem with PODS or ABF/ReloCube ??

Parking Space ? Labor for 6 flights ?? They have work-arounds for generally any situation.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,360,908 times
Why not ship it by fedex or ups? They'll come and pick the packages at your door (for a small extra fee)

Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Take even less with you. Sell the TV and bed; box up the small appliances.
What's left... what will fit into a box... ship by UPS.

hth
Thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate it, but we already considered this and decided "NO". Just to clear the air I'm not looking for suggestions on how to avoid using movers. I'm looking for recommendations on NYC movers for an out of state move, if possible from people who have moved small amount of stuff, appx 1br or maybe a small studio worth of stuff.

The amount of stuff we have is not that much, but more than is logistical to ship with ups or another parcel service.

Here's some more info on why we're not interested in shipping: I live on the 6th floor of a walk up, and we don't have a car (don't need one where we live). Think about that for a moment: would you carry 40 boxes one-by-one down 6 flights of stairs and then a quarter of a mile on FOOT to the nearest UPS drop off? That amount of physical labor and logistical problems is not worth it in our case. As for selling more stuff (TV, expensive bed, expensive and professional grade kitchen appliances and items), those items would be more expensive to re-buy than to hire someone to move.

Last edited by Alkonost; 06-18-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
What is the problem with PODS or ABF/ReloCube ??

Parking Space ? Labor for 6 flights ?? They have work-arounds for generally any situation.
Well it's not just the parallel parking spaces (which you have to pay for by the quarter hour) that cause a huge problem, the truck would not be able to pick up or drop off the pod because parking spaces are always full on our street, and I don't think they are allowed to drop a pod onto a NYC street parking space even if we could. I'm not worried about the 6 floors when it comes time to move the items out of our apartment and into the truck, we're just going to hire people to do it, there's no way around that. But there's no workaround the main problem: there's no place we can put the cube/pod near our apartment building.

Last edited by Alkonost; 06-18-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Why not ship it by fedex or ups? They'll come and pick the packages at your door (for a small extra fee)
1) too much stuff to ship
and
2) Not up 6 flights of stairs. Trust me. I deal with fex ex and UPS on a frequent basis, I have enough headaches trying to get those bastards to do their job right in the first place.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You could try Flatrate movers.
Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used flatrate movers yourself or know people who have? What was your experience using them?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM

7,490 posts, read 13,543,400 times
Default Load cube at terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Well it's not just the parallel parking spaces (which you have to pay for by the quarter hour) that cause a huge problem, the truck would not be able to pick up or drop off the pod because parking spaces are always full on our street, and I don't think they are allowed to drop a pod onto a NYC street parking space even if we could. I'm not worried about the 6 floors when it comes time to move the items out of our apartment and into the truck, we're just going to hire people to do it, there's no way around that. But there's no workaround the main problem: there's no place we can put the cube/pod near our apartment building.
Are you aware that you can load a ReloCube at ABF's terminal ?? You can have them make the arrangements, or hire your own local crew with truck. They have terminals in Brooklyn and Paterson NJ, plus others in NYC area. BTW ReloCubes are smaller than PODS.

If you want to use a traditional van line co. like Bekins, or United, fine, but they have minimum charges that may surprise you if you have not already got any estimates. For help selecting a co. , some reading here might help. Moving Company Advice: How to Find a Reputable Moving Company

Either way, good luck with move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues