U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 AM

23 posts, read 124,529 times

Advertisements

A couple of months ago I made a thread about moving cross-country (from Houston to Los Angeles) by hitching a tow to a Corolla. Turns out the thread was a moot point-- a couple of weeks ago some jerk ran a red light, t-boned my car and drove off. Thank goodness for extra insurance coverage. The entire car was deemed a total loss, and now I have the ability to pick out a brand new car with my trip in mind.

I'm mostly going to be a city driver and will very rarely use the towing ability after the move, save for the occasional purchase of new furniture, etc. So it seems like investing in an SUV or Jeep may be a waste given that the mileage on them tends to run around 16mpg city versus the 26 my corolla got. There's no way I'm going to find a marriage of towing capacity at about 2000lbs (trailer weight, me, my cats, and the stuff in my car/trailer) and decent gas mileage I don't think, so I'm looking for a happy medium. Something I can drive from here to California while hauling all my earthly possessions without destroying said vehicle while simultaneously ideally doing something better than the 15mpg my rental Jeep is getting right now!

Any suggestions? Ideally the cab would also hold up to four passengers, though I realize beggars can't be choosers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM

28,401 posts, read 61,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zullyquirke View Post
...now I have the ability to pick out a brand new car with my trip in mind.
Any suggestions?
Wait until you get to CA to buy.

re-read the suggestions to rid yourself of all (most of) the crap you were going to haul,
box & UPS what you really need then fly to LA.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM

I considered that! The problem is I'm not moving for four months and I'll still need to get to/from work in the meantime.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM

18 posts, read 25,262 times
What about something like a Nissan Rogue? They get fairly good gas mileage, plenty of interior room & have the ability to tow a small load.

That or buy whatever vehicle you want, have the new car & your possessions shipped & fly to your new home.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 AM

Wow, the Rogue actually has a lower towing capacity than the Corolla. The Corolla sits at 1500lbs and it looks like the Rogue is 1000, 1500 with a premium package before 2010, and only 1000 after that on any model. I wonder why an eco car would have more towing capacity than an SUV!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 AM

28,401 posts, read 61,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zullyquirke View Post
...and I'll still need to get to/from work in the meantime.
Don't buy a car based on one 3 day trip to get somewhere.
Buy a car that will suit your needs once there.

Whatever you choose will make the highway trip with you and a few boxes just fine.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 AM

4,190 posts, read 4,383,970 times
I would consider the Camry, 4 cylinder, used, say 2 year old, 24k miles, certified from Toyota, basic model, nothing fancy. When buying new furniture, if from a store, they will deliver, if off Craigslist, just use one of those self-employed guys that advertise on CL, "Guy with a pick up", I have found them very reliable, cheap.

I like the Camry because it is a proven winner, reliable, not expensive for repairs, good crash ratings etc...gas is expensive in LA and won't go down much in the future.

You know, I lived in Japan for years, small house with friends, we had very little furniture and did not miss it much either. It is something that still affects my living style but drives my wife crazy. I like not having a house full of "stuff", and notice many Americans love filling their home up with stuff, especially furniture. Just a thought...good luck.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM

I've actually been looking at both the Camry and the Honda Element. They have the same tow capacity but the Element might handle a little better, plus it has a roof luggage rack and more space inside for storage. And both still do pretty well on gas mileage. I'm only bringing a couple of pieces of furniture-- stuff that won't take up too much space, family pieces that I can't replace. A small secretary desk that's about 3ft x 2ft, a four person table, a coffee table. Maybe a three drawer chest of drawers (81lbs) if it fits. The rest'll just be boxes. So I think with the 1500lb limit I'll be ok with either option.

I technically was with the corolla too, but for some reason the thought of hauling that weight with a Corolla versus an Element or a Camry makes me more wary.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 PM

9,390 posts, read 17,317,873 times
It sounds like you'll only need a 4x8 U-Haul. We moved my wife's stuff in one behind her little Saturn Sport Coupe from the left coast to eastern Wyoming -- over two good mountain ranges. Just watch how you pack it (more weight forward, but not a lot more), take it a little easy, and you'll be fine with all but the smallest cars. Empty weight of the 4x8 is 850 pounds, so you'll have 650 pounds of cargo you can slide in there and still be at 1500 pounds gross. I'm with MrRational on this one. Get the car you want to drive for a few years, not the best one for a single trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues