U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 AM

1,476 posts, read 3,801,678 times

Advertisements

I really want to rent Penske for my move because they have Diesels. But they said their car trailer wont take a sports car because it is to low.

However, uhaul said theirs would. Anyways, any experience here?

Thanks! Looking to put my RX-7 on the trailer.

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,980,775 times
When my boyfriend and I moved to Chicago we used U-Haul. I know that some of their models are diesel, but if I recall correctly ours was gas (and got no more than 12 miles to the gallon when all loaded up!)

We used the U-Haul auto trailer for our Mitsubishi Eclipse and it worked well. Backing up is extremely difficult.

Also, U-haul really promotes the fact that their loading decks are lower than that of other companies, and from seeing Penske's trucks it appears this is true. I am sure this would make a big difference when loading and unloading.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 AM

961 posts, read 1,718,689 times
I used UHaul once when I had to move and take my car with me. I got the full size car trailer, not the front wheel only type. The car I had at the time was a 88 Firebird, it sat fairly low to the ground and I didn't have any trouble loading it. My only complaint was that one of the front tire hold down straps snapped halfway to where I was going. The local UHaul (Hermiston OR) didn't have any replacements so I ended up driving with only one strap holding down the front of the car until I found a WalMart and bought my own ratcheting tie down strap.

UHaul has a reputation of poor maintenance. If you do go with UHaul, check everything out first and have them replace anything that looks worn.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Well, I took the 7 to the Penske place and turns out she fits just fine. Allthough not by much! Their trucks look really good and they have some great discounts. 10 percent for booking online and 15 percent for AAA. So about 650 for a 22' diesel / trailer dallas to denver. Not bad! And I have six days with the truck!

James

Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 15,980 times
We have an 08 corvette and budget was the only trailer the car would fit on. We had to put it on a hill though to load and unload the car. but it worked out well.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,111,268 times
when we moved from Wi to SC, and were using a 26' Uhaul for the truck, we looked into the option of renting a trailer to haul the wife's Scion Tc down. First off they suggested that the trailer would not work for her car, unless we used some planks to "soften" the angle to load and unload. Next was the cost of a one way trailer rental, not that cheap. As we also were driving our SUV which was pulling our boat, I had a bit of a concern that if both our vehicles were pulling a trailer, if anything happened we could be stuck with no options for the other vehicle to grab the one trailer. So we actually priced out having her car hauled down for us. Ended up being not much more then the trailer rental, and the car was in the driveway when we hit SC.
Not saying that option is the best, but for our situation this time it was. And after we made it down, with a portion of the drive thru the mountains in winter, I'm glad I wasn't driving that large of a truck and then pulling another 18' behind me.
Guess a question for your Mazda, is it modded at all? Meaning lowered, etc? As that may come into play as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,436,634 times
Best suggestion I can give, take the car to the rental location and see for yourself if it will or won't work. Even if it is a delicate fit to get it on and off, you should only be doing that at the start and finish. If you are taking it on and off several times, think hard about which trailer you use, but if only once, a little tlc will get you over the hump.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM

My post was from 10/07 But I never updated it!

Made the move just fine. The RX-7 was lowered about an inch. However, the air dam on the front bumper wasn't installed. It was close...but it worked just fine!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM

740 posts, read 1,036,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
My post was from 10/07 But I never updated it!

Made the move just fine. The RX-7 was lowered about an inch. However, the air dam on the front bumper wasn't installed. It was close...but it worked just fine!

Glad to hear it went well. I've been checking Penske also because we want to put our Mercedes on a trailer and drive our truck. I've been hesitant about not knowing how well the trailers are. It sounds like your move went fine. Thanks for the update.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:19 PM

787 posts, read 1,080,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplumcrazeex View Post
We have an 08 corvette and budget was the only trailer the car would fit on. We had to put it on a hill though to load and unload the car. but it worked out well.
I have an 06 Infiniti G35...it's pretty low to the ground as well...I am going to have to check out Budget's trailers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues