U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM

96 posts, read 145,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you are wondering about it now, so will others when you go to sell it someday.

Location, location, location. Nothing more important in real estate.
I agree with this. I would not buy a property near any kind of methadone clinic, halfway house, etc. If you go to resell, there will be many who are turned off by it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:46 AM

14,273 posts, read 7,866,319 times
Well I would have to say that I wouldn't buy a property next to anything like that unless it was a Victorian mansion with everything I want in it and sold to me for a fraction of what it was worth. I would just but a large iron fence around it and call it the deal of the century.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:28 PM

11,135 posts, read 11,198,532 times
Listen to the people who are telling you to turn and RUN in the opposite direction. When it comes to best or worst about former addicts, 9 out of 10 times expect the worst. There is only something like a 1% success rate among addicts. The things that drove them to do drugs in the first place nearly always drive them back to doing them for the rest of their lives. Plus the issue of resale value.

Bad deal.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM

15,886 posts, read 15,252,066 times
Don't buy it.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:51 PM

15,436 posts, read 13,428,866 times
There would be no way I would purchase that house, unless it was super cheap and I could just rent it out without fear of losing money in the deal.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM

260 posts, read 795,595 times
I've had experience with addicts who were (they are all dead now) family members and friends children all of whom did the methadone treatment, rehab, you name it. I would not take the house if it was offered to me for free. Where I live you can call the police and ask them if they have been called to that house before and why they were called.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:09 AM

5,679 posts, read 5,903,871 times
I would not do it.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:56 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,898,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Hi folks,

I'm interested in a house in town that's fantastic, the only "issue" is it's about 200 meters from a methadone clinic. This is in a modest, low crime, middle class, established neighbourhood. If any of you have, did you notice any increase in property crime or anything?

I don't have an issue with the patients. Generally, they are people seeking help in order to "re-join" society as productive members. But there are others who frequently relaps, and those are the ones that kind of concern me. Did they go to the clinic, only to find it closed for the day and are getting the "itch" without a treatment that day? Are they going to bust into my house/car to get money or something to trade for their heroin/whatnot?

So...yeah. I know this was probably worded poorly, but I think you know what I'm getting at here.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with it, provided that 9 times out of 10, things are fine.

Thanks for your responses.
I've lived near a methadone clinic, I've also worked with methadone patients and I've volunteered for a advocacy organization for methadone patients so it's a topic I know well. There are a lot of myths and misconceptions when it comes to addicts and methadone patients/clinics. Much of what you will hear from people will not be based on fist hand knowledge or facts but on what people have heard or believe. So if I were you I'd take what you hear with a grain of salt and consider the source.

In general living near a methadone clinic should not be a problem. The vast majority of clinics are run well and there are no clinic related problems in the surrounding area. A recent university study actually showed that there is far more crime around convenience stores than methadone clinics. Other studies have showed that neighbors of methadone clinics often have no idea that the clinic is even there. The claims you often hear that there are drug dealers hanging around outside, dirty needles littering the ground, and the patients committing crimes in the neighborhood is pretty much a myth. In actuality all you will see at most methadone clinics is people walking in and out of a building. They come, get their dose, take their drug test, see their counselor and leave. That's pretty much it. Since this clinic is located in a low crime, nice area I would think that that's how this clinic is.
Unfortunately there are clinics that are not well run though and at these clinics you will sometimes have problems. Some clinics provide insufficient treatment and treat their patients poorly. As a result many of the patients will keep relapsing and when you have a large number of active addicts (those who are currently using drugs) you will have problems. At these clinics you may see loitering and drug dealing outside, etc. Pretty much all these clinics are located in areas that are also troubled and they are a small minority. Most likely the clinic in your area will be nothing like that. They are generally very concerned with being a good neighbor.

FYI, most methadone patients are not IV drug addicts. Most are actually pill addicts and many of these became addicted after being prescribed opiates for a legitimate problem. The methadone patients are a diverse crowd ranging from street addicts to college students and soccer moms. Those who are complying with treatment will not be using illicit drugs and won't be committing any crimes.
You don't have to worry about someone showing up after the clinic is closed and end up breaking into your house. Most methadone patients can go 48 hours between doses without experiencing any significant withdrawal symptoms so missing a day is not the end of the world. They don't get any itch to use. They only get physical symptoms if the methadone is not taken and, like I said, it takes about 48 hours or more for serious symptoms to kick in. I can assure you that nobody is going to show up after closing, get desperate and break into your house or commit any other crime. It doesn't work that way.

I also wanted to address the comment from the poster who had worked near a clinic in Ontario and said that there were syringes all over. There may very well have been syringes on the ground there but I highly doubt that they had anything to do with the clinic. Many clinics are located in areas where there are drug problems and the syringes and trouble you see is linked to the active addicts in the area who were there before the clinic came. Unfortunately the clinics often get the blame when there is any crime or other trouble in the area but most of the time it has absolutely nothing to do with the clinic or their patients.

So, to sum it up, I really see no reason why the clinic should prevent you from moving to the area. Most likely you'll find out that you will hardly notice that the clinic is there.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:46 PM

11,267 posts, read 13,097,405 times
Thanks everyone, for your posts and opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey7083 View Post
I agree with this. I would not buy a property near any kind of methadone clinic, halfway house, etc. If you go to resell, there will be many who are turned off by it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

This is very true. The house has been on the market for about 6 months, and appears to be in tip top shape. The only thing I can see "wrong" with it, and why it's not selling, is the location of the clinic, and a local railroad engine house. I don't mind the later...because I like trains lol.

About moving to an area without a clinic, I'm looking there too. BUT...since there are no zoning by-laws that restrict where a clinic can and can't be, one could pop up next door to that place next year for all I know. That's what happened in this area, as this clinic has only been open about 3 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I've lived near a methadone clinic, I've also worked with methadone patients and I've volunteered for a advocacy organization for methadone patients so it's a topic I know well. There are a lot of myths and misconceptions when it comes to addicts and methadone patients/clinics. Much of what you will hear from people will not be based on fist hand knowledge or facts but on what people have heard or believe. So if I were you I'd take what you hear with a grain of salt and consider the source.

In general living near a methadone clinic should not be a problem. The vast majority of clinics are run well and there are no clinic related problems in the surrounding area. A recent university study actually showed that there is far more crime around convenience stores than methadone clinics. Other studies have showed that neighbors of methadone clinics often have no idea that the clinic is even there. The claims you often hear that there are drug dealers hanging around outside, dirty needles littering the ground, and the patients committing crimes in the neighborhood is pretty much a myth. In actuality all you will see at most methadone clinics is people walking in and out of a building. They come, get their dose, take their drug test, see their counselor and leave. That's pretty much it. Since this clinic is located in a low crime, nice area I would think that that's how this clinic is.
Unfortunately there are clinics that are not well run though and at these clinics you will sometimes have problems. Some clinics provide insufficient treatment and treat their patients poorly. As a result many of the patients will keep relapsing and when you have a large number of active addicts (those who are currently using drugs) you will have problems. At these clinics you may see loitering and drug dealing outside, etc. Pretty much all these clinics are located in areas that are also troubled and they are a small minority. Most likely the clinic in your area will be nothing like that. They are generally very concerned with being a good neighbor.

FYI, most methadone patients are not IV drug addicts. Most are actually pill addicts and many of these became addicted after being prescribed opiates for a legitimate problem. The methadone patients are a diverse crowd ranging from street addicts to college students and soccer moms. Those who are complying with treatment will not be using illicit drugs and won't be committing any crimes.
You don't have to worry about someone showing up after the clinic is closed and end up breaking into your house. Most methadone patients can go 48 hours between doses without experiencing any significant withdrawal symptoms so missing a day is not the end of the world. They don't get any itch to use. They only get physical symptoms if the methadone is not taken and, like I said, it takes about 48 hours or more for serious symptoms to kick in. I can assure you that nobody is going to show up after closing, get desperate and break into your house or commit any other crime. It doesn't work that way.

I also wanted to address the comment from the poster who had worked near a clinic in Ontario and said that there were syringes all over. There may very well have been syringes on the ground there but I highly doubt that they had anything to do with the clinic. Many clinics are located in areas where there are drug problems and the syringes and trouble you see is linked to the active addicts in the area who were there before the clinic came. Unfortunately the clinics often get the blame when there is any crime or other trouble in the area but most of the time it has absolutely nothing to do with the clinic or their patients.

So, to sum it up, I really see no reason why the clinic should prevent you from moving to the area. Most likely you'll find out that you will hardly notice that the clinic is there.

Thanks for the toughtful post. This is mostly what I figured. Especially with the needles all over the ground. It was my understanding that the methadone was administered to the patients inside the clinic, by an rpn of some kind. I didn't think they were just giving folks a syring and letting them treat themselves whenever it suited them, off the property.

This clinic in particular, was originally located in a troubled neighbourhood in the city, but had to move to a larger place. The owner didn't want to move into this area, but everything else was either too big, too small, or unaffordable. They purchased a vacant building and did a fantastic job rehabilitating the place.

I found an article from the Windsor Star, where the Councillor of the Ward that this neighbourhood is in, said police reports indicate that the impact of the clinic was minimal. Prehaps some things have happened that wern't reported, but that's unlikely because people in the area vigorously protested the clinic opening up, and I would imagine they would watch the place like a hawk, and use any evidence they could to build up a case to have it shut down.

According to crimereports.com, there doesn't seem to be anything different from most other parts of the city.

In the same article, a neighbour of the clinic says:

"They haven't caused any problems. I don't see anyone walking out of there that's walking into other people's businesses or homes. They're minding their own business."

I don't know. I'm going to have to do some door knocking in the area, and call up the police, and the Ward Coucillor, and see how things are truly going.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:31 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,307,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Good luck convincing most prospective buyers of this when you go to sell the place. If neither I nor the overwhelming majority of posters on this thread would take the place for free, what's the chance you are going to get anywhere close to market value for it? People have a difficult time getting market value for houses that are rumoured to be haunted or were the sites of murders or suicides. Do you honestly think it would be any easier to sell a place on the same block as a known treatment center for hookers, pimps, general street trash and all other kinds of heroin users?

Yep... Junk-addicted streetwalkers showing up to get their 8:00 AM fix of methadone after a busy night of working on their back. Exactly what most responsible parents would want their kids exposed to every day as they head off to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues