U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 PM

19 posts, read 26,396 times

Advertisements

I'd say best way to get to know your neighbors is to live in townhomes and have assigned parking spots for each unit. Not garages, and right in front of the homes. That way you see people all the time. When I bought this place, I was told they had fire brick that insulated sound, but it doesn't always do a great job.

Having older people who have lived there a long time, a large percentage of homeowners, and kids who play with their neighbors helps. I'm not completely sure which kid lives in which house because the kids are in and out various doors.

I do know the sound of which little girl 3-5 likes to scream, and which kids are big on racing their bikes around the circle. OH - another idea, live on the end of a court or circle where it is a dead end. That way people don't causally drive by and think of doing stuff.

Townhouses without kids, and with no natural way to bump into your neighbors don't have that same sense of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 AM

9,658 posts, read 15,790,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
When I go on vacation I leave 2 full dog size water bowls in plain view. I also recorded my Mom's answer machine message making it appear I live with her. A timer for lights with randomized patterns is good too. When I was in kid living with my single parent Mom, the cops told me if I ever heard someone break in yell "Dad get the gun".

Criminals typically only attack and commit crimes where they perceive it's safe. They don't want to be injured. They just want to victimize other. Turn the tables on them and let them know there is real chance for them being injured and they often back down, they are cowards.
I did exactly that once! Someone was trying to break in, it wasn't my imagination, I could see the door knob twisting. I immediately yelled Steve, get the gun! while I turned on all the lights. There was no Steve, there was no gun, but I could hear whoever it was run off in the night At the time I was living in a large, nice, upscale apartment complex, its not like I was in the ghetto, but still.....you never know. Don't ever give the impression you're alone, unarmed, and vulnerable. Only thin, my then current boyfriend, who became my husband now for 36 years, wondered who "Steve" was...

Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 PM

5,141 posts, read 2,953,575 times
A condo townhouse is somewhere in between. With a condo you are releaved from exterior maintenance.

Your neighbors and location are critical.

We now live in our second 55+ community and do not have young gangs, graffiti, and irritations often experienced in all age communities.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM

1,575 posts, read 807,676 times
It is my opinion that the apartment would be safer if you are not on a ground floor (assuming all other factors are equal such as neighborhood). I personally prefer SFH living, but from a safety standpoint, I don't think it is better.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM

1,857 posts, read 532,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
House.

The people who live in apartments are usually those who cannot afford houses, or those who do not intend to inhabit that area for very long (transients). Given that the majority of crime is committed by people who fall within those two groups, it is wise to stay away from places where they gather (meaning: apartment complexes). After all, nobody really WANTS to live in an apartment where you can hear your neighbors fighting, having sex, partying, whatever. If they can afford to live in a house where no walls / ceilings / floors are shared, they will live in a house.

If you can afford to live in a house, live in a house. I have done both the apartment thing and the house thing. I would sooner live in an RV on someone else's property or in an RV park, than live in an apartment building.
I agree with this, the biggest risk of living in an apt complex is one of your neighbors. A house with alarm system in general is a much better risk imo.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,732,087 times
safety-wise only, an apartment building, just because you will have more neighbors, more witnesses, etc.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM

26,427 posts, read 62,653,352 times
Safer depends on a lot of variables.

A third floor or higher apartment has a big bonus in crime safety issues, but a big negative safety issue if there is a fire. A concrete apartment building has advantage over a wooden house, especially if you are on a lower floor, but a big disadvantage in an earthquake. the only earthquake I can remember being in where people were killed, they were all killed by collapsing of concrete apartment buildings. No one was killed in a wooden house. if there is a riot or a war, you are safer out in the boonies than in the city. For crime in general you are also safer out in the boonies. For attack by a deer, raccoon, coyote, wolf, mountain lion, or mouse, you are much safer in the city. For damage or death form sunburn, cities is safer. It goes on and on, you can look at any given threat remote or common and there will be different types of places which will be safer or more dangerous.

For my kids, I recommend they focus on fire safety first, then health safety issues, then crime safety. that is becuase those are the most likely threats to occur in that order - at least according to my thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues