Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 11:48 PM

36 posts, read 115,605 times

Advertisements

I need help; the last two times I relocated far away, I had a place already waiting for me to move into with someone else. This time, it's different:

What's worrying me is the order of things, and what type of housing we should move to (rental home vs. purchased home), and how we should get there. I am doing this move without the assistance of the employer.

I have a job offer in Illinois and am in the process of getting some very helpful advice from some wonderful people on this site on locations. I would be starting the job in January, and not sure how to go about this. In addition, we have three dogs, but thank goodness, we have NO children (we're middle-aged empty nesters) and don't have to consider schools (whew!).

First of all, we plan on putting our current home on the market this week. We currently own a small property outside Houston, Texas and we feel we can probably sell it quickly without taking a loss - we got it at a very reasonable price because the owner had to quickly get out of paying two mortgages and she had a realtor who wasn't properly marketing the house.

Second of all, we will need a house (as opposed to a townhome or apartment) where we're moving to, and it will have to have a fenced yard for the dogs (we'd prefer to have a doggie-door for them because that's what they've been used to for the last five years, but that's a detail I may have to deal with creatively).

I've seen general advice that it's better to rent instead of buying right away in order to get a feel for the area before making a commitment. However, an agent I was referred to instead recommended buying in this specific area, because of what she considered to be a tight and high-cost rental market due to the rapid amount of turnover in that city due to the nature of the large employers in the area. My perusal of craigslist shows a larger selection of home rentals in my price range and commute area than what I could ever find in my former locations, but maybe the homes I'm seeing aren't in very nice areas.

So, how do I get the place I need?
Will I have to make a site visit to this area to secure a rental in advance of the move?
Should we go ahead and buy a house instead?
Do I leave my fiancee here with the dogs and go live in a short-term rental like a Residence Inn (although that might wipe out my weekly pay) until I can find a rental for us all, without his seeing it first and then bring him up later?
Or do we all move together?
What do we do if the house we have now doesn't sell before I'm ready for him to rejoin me?
And where can I find websites that address situations like this? My searches have turned up nothing.

I have never done this before; for those of you who have, please share your experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrose227 View Post
What's worrying me is the order of things...
I am doing this move without the assistance of the employer.

First of all, we plan on putting our current home on the market this week.
Second of all, we will need a house where we're moving to, and it will have to have a fenced yard for the dogs

I've seen general advice that it's better to rent instead of buying right away...
For all sorts of basic common sense reasons. Principally... the concern is that the chance of having
all the stars align to make the sell -> find -> buy -> move ->stay is so unlikely to happen smoothly
that it's likely to be a waste of your time to plan around it happening.

Quote:
What do we do if the house we have now doesn't sell before I'm ready for him to rejoin me? Aha!
Will I have to make a site visit to this area to secure a rental in advance of the move? Yes. Twice probably.
Do I leave my fiancee here with the dogs and go live in a short-term rental until I can find a rental
That's a viable option. Especially if the early visit doesn't shake out a reasonable rent house option for you.
But still, Residence Inn is at the high end of the cost choices for that option.
The far greater concern is the uncertainty that the new position will work out. If it does...
a year or so from now you'll have a place to live and pile of cash in hand to go house hunting with.

If it doesn't... you'll have a few months left on a lease and a pile of cash in hand.
That is far better than being stuck with another mortgage in a strange town.

Cross one bridge at a time and approach each step on it's own merits.

Last edited by MrRational; 11-05-2012 at 06:57 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Contact a real estate agent. That person can find you a rental in the area and price point you want. I have done it both ways....I think it is worth it for the agent to find a few places and you to fly up and make a final approval.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Do you think it's a warning sign about this realtor that she discouraged the idea that there are rentals available?
As I wrote above, an agent I was referred to instead recommended buying in this specific area, because of what she considered to be a tight and high-cost rental market due to the rapid amount of turnover in that city due to the nature of the large employers in the area. My perusal of craigslist shows a larger selection of home rentals in my price range and commute area than what I could ever find in my former locations, but maybe the homes I'm seeing aren't in very nice areas.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrose227 View Post
...an agent I was referred to instead recommended buying Gasp! Imagine that.

My perusal of craigslist shows a larger selection of home rentals in my price range and commute area than what I could ever find in my former locations, but maybe the homes I'm seeing aren't in very nice areas.
With a "get by" for one year rental... the neighborhood (within limits) shouldn't matter much.
You don't need schools. You need a yard and space for the dogs and an easy commute.
Safety and shopping count too but not nearly as much as when buying.

Try posting specific neighborhood Q's in the IL forums.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
First of all get a different realtor...shame on them.
It is a good idea to visit the area that you are interested in prior to the actual move. You can then decide to buy, or lease. If you can't visit then go to the city-data forum thread for the area that you are moving to and ask questions. Find a storage facility in the area. Rent Penske/Uhaul. Rent car transporter trailer. Load truck, put dogs in truck and go. Stop at rest areas and walk dogs every few hours. They will be stressed and may not want to eat, drink, or go to bathroom and that is fine - you'll get them there eventually. Drop furniture off at storage facility and stay at a Holiday Inn Express, or similar until you can take occupancy. There is no magic formula...you just have to figure out what you want and make it happen. Don't rely on a realtor, take it into your own hands and drive it yourself!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Drop furniture off at storage facility and stay at a Holiday Inn Express, or similar until you can take occupancy.
This is an excellent idea - I wouldn't have thought of it! Thank you!! This is exactly the kind of helpful insight I knew I could count on you guys for

Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
IF the hotel will take three dogs for an unknown period of time, best to get that in writing on the room quote first. I've traveled with a pet and they give you the the "pet" rooms. Can be a bit dicey if the former residenst were not conscientious about their pet(s). There is nothing worse than smell of wet dog or kitty p/p lingering in the room, on the bedspreads, carpets, etc. On a par with a "smoker's" room. Plus if you are only getting the complimentary breakfast, what will you do? leave the dogs in the room for periods of time alone?

You have to weigh the plusses and the minusses of each; going directly to a rental home, or extended stay with pets. Personally, I would not rent property I own to anyone with pets for any price. Sorry, but not all pets and pet owners are created equal. And I am an animal lover. Once burned, twice cautious.

You are both young enough evidently to pack a Penske truck and get out of Dodge it sounds like; do it all in one fell swoop .... but best to have something to live in when you arrive. Why not check with your employer regarding rental agencies, Realtors etc. You definitely have to fly up and look around for a few days to find something suitable. Otherwise, sight unseen is a recipe for disaster.

Best of luck to you all.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Research the area on your own so you have as much info as possible. Try finding a realtor or two to help. Some of that is just plain luck finding the "right" one. Plan as much as you can, even if things get messed up at least you have a blueprint of how things should look. Write things down to do or accomplish before the actual move. I had sheets of paper everywhere with lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues