U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 AM

118 posts, read 337,669 times

Advertisements

Has anyone shipped their car across the country?

Are you allowed to pack things in the car while it's being shipped?

Is it wise to pack a flat panel TV in the car during shipping?

What reliable company have you used?

I'm moving from Miami to Los Angeles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
Yes
Generaly No
No
Was Years ago.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 AM

521 posts, read 3,943,795 times
Unless a vehicle is being shipped inside the equipment of a licensed interstate household goods motor carrier, it is both illegal and dangerous to ship anything inside.
  1. Most vehicle transportation companies do not have the proper USDOT operating authority to move personal effects or household goods.Doing so would not only jeopardize their licensing authority but could also result in their cargo (and your car) to be impounded by a DOT inspector or at state port of entry. Most bills of lading and transport company "Terms of Service" expressly forbid it.
  2. When improperly secured contents transported long distances become loose they are like errant projectiles inside the vehicles. Child restraint car seats thoughtlessly placed in the trucks or cargo spaces of vehicles moving on or inside a car-carrier frequently, for instance, can cause extensive damage to the both the interior and exterior of vehicle.
  3. Placing a flat panel TV inside a vehicle simply invites theft when an unattended car carrier is parked overnight at a truckstop, motel, or rest area.
How to ship a motor vehicle

Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 AM

10,834 posts, read 15,140,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hemingway View Post
Has anyone shipped their car across the country?

Yes

Are you allowed to pack things in the car while it's being shipped?

Yes, only basics, each carrier has it's own rules. Cars inside a moving van are $$ rated per pound same or higher price than furniture. Only ship by a reliable auto transport carrier and make sure they cover the car in plastic or tarps. You don't want damage from objects and/or leaking fuel/oil from cars above etc. And, get an absolute delivery date within 2 or 3 days. Depending on age/condition of your car, you may want to sell it and buy another when you get there.

Is it wise to pack a flat panel TV in the car during shipping?

Absolutely not. Have your moving company pack it; they are responsible for whatever they pack.

What reliable company have you used?

I've used a few, furthest was about 1900 miles. Best: Atlas Van Lines -- most reliable drivers, cleanest vans, and very important, on time delivery as promised. Worst: United Van Lines/Mayflower -- horrible -- .

I'm moving from Miami to Los Angeles...
Make sure you get full replacement value insurance, it's worth the extra $$. But read the fine print, some will have it appraised and the adjusters they use will come in with a low or partial appraisal, and you won't have any recourse. If possible, get appraisals on high end furniture before you move. Also, most carriers' insurance that they offer you does not cover natural disasters, etc. If the truck falls off a cliff or catches fire etc. you are out of luck with the carrier's ins. co. They won't cover your belongings, just their own equipment.

I'm going to write my memoirs: "Lessons Learned from Relocating Once Too Often". (when I was a Realtor I specialized in corporate relos.)

Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,582,611 times
Hi I had my car shipped many times and once from FL to CA about a year ago though I cant recall the company. I used to use one company but they went out of business. I had a bad experience with previous ones that though they were insured they did not want to pay when my car came damaged. Some companies will not allow anything in the car other then the trunk. I think even with that they are not liable for the inside items.
My best advice is to have them fax you there insurance and then you call the insurance company to make sure it is up to date or not going to expire. Also try to have just 1 company transport your car. Some you make an apt with one and they give it to another company or some will split it between 2 companies. When I had a problem wth damage that was an issue because each one blamed the other.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 20 days ago)

8,696 posts, read 10,845,026 times
No, you can't put anything in the cars. I used a local place;they're middle men to the actual car movers. I found prices to be about the same for the ones I contacted. Only thing that threw me is I had forgotten you need to rent a car for the time your car is in transit. It turned out to be 7 days, but they only give you a window of time, no exact dates. That's not fun because you're in limbo about the exact time/date your car arrives. Just be flexible w/ it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues