U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM

2,284 posts, read 2,932,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Wish you the best on your move. If possible, ask for references from movers you are considering. Or get referrals from people you know. This is not a time to "bargain" shop...or call some cheap person on CL. With a piano to move, I would hire professionals.
I second getting professional piano movers to move your piano, unless it a "for show and not for playing" instrument.

We hired a professional mover to move an upright piano from Milwaukee to Dallas. It sat in their shop for a couple of months before they had another piano to move to the DFW area and brought the two together. Maybe not the cheapest way of moving a piano, but the safest for the instrument. You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,781,961 times
6 months ago we moved our family of 4 plus 3 cats 2000 miles from a house we had occupied for 15 years.
Full service was not in the budget.
U-Haul was so unappealing I could not stand the thought.
Pods the brand were stupid expensive.
Read horrible reviews of self move using brokers.
We settled in the middle.

I hired Old Dominion Freight Lines, they dropped a 28' trailer with ramp at our home. I hired a crew of 2 from one of the local full service moving companies to load the trailer. The moving crew was the best money we spent in the whole process! It was about $500 per day but worth every single penny.

We did all our own boxing and the guys professionally packed the truck. We used 2 trailers. When trailer #1 was full, ODL came out, secured it and then dropped a second one. We did not fill the 2nd one and ODL prorated our partial load.

The trucks with excess insurance ran us about $5K
The moving guys were $500 a day.
I used a car transport to move my husband's car, that ran us $800
We drove the family and the cats the 2000 miles

Upon arrival, I again hired local labor to unload us.

All in all it was a good experience that did not cost us a small fortune.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,894,354 times
hire a company to do an estate sale wherever you are currently living then buy new junk when you get there! that is what i'll be doing next time.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,225,816 times
We used Pods for our recent move from NY to Pittsburgh ; it was about 400 miles. We had regular house furniture and are a family of four and had all our appliances.

I started with the first pod in April, and had the 4th pod packed by the time we were ready to move in June.When we got to Pittsburgh, the pod came the next day. I arranged to have professional unpackers for 1 day. A month later, we had the fourth pod emptied and we were done.

Yes, It was a tad expensive, but I think it worked out well for us. I did call ABF but they only had a 5 day turn around with the trailer and I really thought I needed more time to pack, and unpack.

I also was lucky enough to have my two teenagers help unload with us.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 AM

11 posts, read 17,037 times
At 60- hire the pros. Make sure they have references and get extra insurance for the move. Its easier trying to get your own insurance to pay up if something is damaged. As for packing - let them pack the fragile stuff too.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM

446 posts, read 550,614 times
I just found a webpage called relocation.com. You fill out an online form and they have about eight movers contact you.

We shall see.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM

21,567 posts, read 14,180,052 times
We used United. We are 66 and 70 years old. We packed part of our possessions, and the pros packed the high value or difficult items. We packed our car and drove 2000 miles to our new city near our adult children and grandchildren. Even using a full service mover our move required a lot of energy and planning. We planned about transporting our important papers, having a landing place when we arrived, and decided which of our possessions we could dispose of. I've written on this board several posts about my experience, which after a 3 month home search, and a month of home redecorating, should end this week when our stuff arrives from our former home city.

I recommend interviewing at least three full service movers. Ask how to save money. Pick the brains of the agents who visit your home. Ask them the same list of questions. A pro will give you an estimate which should be a "bound estimate" that you can rely on. You might have to pay storage costs if you have to have your things stored--as we did while we looked for a house.

If we could do this, you can too.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 PM

521 posts, read 3,927,422 times
I agree with silibran about getting three in-home estimates from local movers near your home.

Under the Federal Consumer Protection Regulations (49CFR375), however, licensed interstate household good movers can provide customers either a non-binding, actual weight estimate, or a binding , fixed cost estimate. By law, an interstate mover is not required to give a binding estimate.

Some carriers offer a third, actual weight fixed price variation called a not to exceed in which a maximum price is quoted. The cost, however, could go lower, if the actual weight goes lower.

Suggest you read Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move information at the FMCSA's Protect Your Move.gov consumer protection website.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 PM

3,929 posts, read 7,489,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I'm thinking there are three options:

1) Full Service. Mayflower, or Allied, or some big company comes up, loads up your stuff, takes it there and unloads it.

Pro: Simple. Con: Pricey.

2) Pods. They deliver pods to your house, you load them (hire people to help). They move the pods, you unload them.

Pro: Is this cheaper than full service? I'm not sure. Pro and Con: You have more control over the packing process, but it's a PITA. Con: I don't think they get to the destination very fast.

3) Rent a truck. Hire loaders. Drive it there yourself. Hire unloaders.

Pro: Maybe cheaper. Con: Who wants to drive a truck 1400 miles?

Does this pretty much sum it up? Or am I missing something?
Another option:

A couple of the full service movers now have vaults (like pods, but the ones we used were smaller). Mayflower and Atlas both have them. With those services, you can either be responsible for the loading (like your option #2) or have the professional movers do it. I think we paid about $500 for loading and less for unloading. You can hire them to pack some or all of your belongings, too, but that gets expensive fast. We used Atlas Smartmoves and had the same loading/unloading service we would have had with the full-service. This is better than your options 2 and 3 if you have furniture you care about.

We used Atlas Smartmoves because the similar Mayflower service didn't go to our destination. We were extremely satisfied, especially with our loaders from Charlotte, NC. We had already gotten estimates from three of the regular movers, so we used those figures to figure out how many vaults we would need.

We liked that our belongings would not share a truck with someone else's, and that they would not need to be unloaded and loaded again outside our supervision, which is what would have happened because we needed a short period of storage. With vaults, your belongings stay in the vault until you unlock it at the final destination.

Storage with Smartmoves was free for up to 28 days. The total cost was about half what we would have paid for the big truck.

Auto Club members get a big discount from Atlas. If you're not a member, join just for this purpose, and you'll save a lot more than you spend on your membership fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues