U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM

321 posts, read 421,731 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I thought this might a good place to come to. but basically i have wanted/planned to move to ATL every since i graduated college in '07. it actually came so close to happening last yr when everything lined up, my lease was up, i was single, and i applied for a transfer with my job...butttt i didnt get it. since then i've gotten more serious with a guy i have been seeing (we now live together) and i actually found a nice sized place for a decent price. (inside of Boston, can you beleive it?)

I originally wanted to move to ATL for better COL and be single in a brand new city, also the weather. and frankly, i wanted to be around more black people lol (HBCU ALUM) ......but now, things have changed and i guess my reasons arent as pressing anymore, but i was so in love with the idea of trying a new city, am i being foolish for still pursuing this change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM

49 posts, read 77,156 times
I have no answer, I am just in the same position except I've wanted to leave Chicago for TX or CA since graduating from college. It didn't happen then, and now life is happening: decent job, decent guy, opportunity to buy a house and settle, but I still keep thinking how much I *really* never wanted to be tied down to Chicago. I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis or something about this!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM

4,778 posts, read 5,315,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSyddy View Post
Hey everyone, I thought this might a good place to come to. but basically i have wanted/planned to move to ATL every since i graduated college in '07. it actually came so close to happening last yr when everything lined up, my lease was up, i was single, and i applied for a transfer with my job...butttt i didnt get it. since then i've gotten more serious with a guy i have been seeing (we now live together) and i actually found a nice sized place for a decent price. (inside of Boston, can you beleive it?)

I originally wanted to move to ATL for better COL and be single in a brand new city, also the weather. and frankly, i wanted to be around more black people lol (HBCU ALUM) ......but now, things have changed and i guess my reasons arent as pressing anymore, but i was so in love with the idea of trying a new city, am i being foolish for still pursuing this change?
Congrats on the new guy!

Maybe take a long weekend trip to ATL, without the guy, and see how you feel after you get home?
Usually trips out of town clear my head when I'm faced with this type of situation.
Best of luck to you!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_smi98 View Post
I have no answer, I am just in the same position except I've wanted to leave Chicago for TX or CA since graduating from college. It didn't happen then, and now life is happening: decent job, decent guy, opportunity to buy a house and settle, but I still keep thinking how much I *really* never wanted to be tied down to Chicago. I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis or something about this!
in a way, this is an answer, its good to know people are experiencing similiar feelings. how does your guy feel about eveything?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Congrats on the new guy!

Maybe take a long weekend trip to ATL, without the guy, and see how you feel after you get home?
Usually trips out of town clear my head when I'm faced with this type of situation.
Best of luck to you!
Thanks! great idea, i have been meaning to visit my sister down there, but i kinda want to bring him too so he can if it is somewhere he could see himself.

decisions decisions

Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 AM

4,778 posts, read 5,315,534 times
Quote:
Thanks! great idea, i have been meaning to visit my sister down there, but i kinda want to bring him too so he can if it is somewhere he could see himself.
Sounds like a no brainer!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,552,475 times
If you want to try out a new city then come to Indianapolis
Indy has a cost of living thats 35% lower than Boston and housing prices are atleast 50% cheaper maybe more depending on the area you live in. Indy is ranked as one of the nations most affordable cities because of this.
Indianapolis also offers many great amendities for a city of 2M people. We have the 2nd highest amount of War Monuments in the city. 2nd only to Washington D.C and every monument in Indy is unique. Indy is the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and has the 2nd strongest economy. 2nd only to the Twin Cities.
Indianapolis is within a days drive to 80% of the US population. cities you can reach within a 5 hour drive of Indy or less include: Chicago/Detroit/Cincinnati/Dayton and Columbus Ohio/Louisville/St Louis/Fort Wayne/Cleveland.
Indy is famous for its large events that are held annually and frequently. As Well as its sports.
Indianapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You might of heard of the largest sporting event in the world the Indianapolis 500. Indy also had rave reviews for its flawless hosting of Super Bowl 46. Indy did so well there is a huge possibility Indy will host a 2nd Super Bowl as soon as 2018.
Finally Indianapolis has a very civilized and friendly culture. People are super nice and the media during Super Bowl 46 gave Indy 5 stars for how nice Indy's hospitality was. Indy is very open minded to other cultures and accepting of others.
Heck 25% of Black and White residents live on the same city block. Which makes Indy the most intregated city in the Northern US.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
If you want to try out a new city then come to Indianapolis
Indy has a cost of living thats 35% lower than Boston and housing prices are atleast 50% cheaper maybe more depending on the area you live in. Indy is ranked as one of the nations most affordable cities because of this.
Indianapolis also offers many great amendities for a city of 2M people. We have the 2nd highest amount of War Monuments in the city. 2nd only to Washington D.C and every monument in Indy is unique. Indy is the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and has the 2nd strongest economy. 2nd only to the Twin Cities.
Indianapolis is within a days drive to 80% of the US population. cities you can reach within a 5 hour drive of Indy or less include: Chicago/Detroit/Cincinnati/Dayton and Columbus Ohio/Louisville/St Louis/Fort Wayne/Cleveland.
Indy is famous for its large events that are held annually and frequently. As Well as its sports.
Indianapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You might of heard of the largest sporting event in the world the Indianapolis 500. Indy also had rave reviews for its flawless hosting of Super Bowl 46. Indy did so well there is a huge possibility Indy will host a 2nd Super Bowl as soon as 2018.
Finally Indianapolis has a very civilized and friendly culture. People are super nice and the media during Super Bowl 46 gave Indy 5 stars for how nice Indy's hospitality was. Indy is very open minded to other cultures and accepting of others.
Heck 25% of Black and White residents live on the same city block. Which makes Indy the most intregated city in the Northern US.

uuhhh thanks! Well while i love the idea of trying new places, i am only considering places where i have somewhat of a safety net, so ATL in ATL for example, i have at least 8 people that i know down there in case i should have any issues, including my sister. are you a rep for the city? that sounded like a sales pitch haha

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,552,475 times
Quote:
uuhhh thanks! Well while i love the idea of trying new places, i am only considering places where i have somewhat of a safety net, so ATL in ATL for example, i have at least 8 people that i know down there in case i should have any issues, including my sister. are you a rep for the city? that sounded like a sales pitch haha
Well if I was a sales person I would sell you something haha.
Na I'm just showing off Americas hidden gem.
Which reminds me have you ever visited Indianapolis.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,488,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Heck 25% of Black and White residents live on the same city block.
. . . which makes that one long, overpopulated block!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues