Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times

Advertisements

This is my second long distance move, coming up in less than two months. The first time, I moved from the Phoenix area to Dallas by throwing everything I owned into my (large) car and driving with my friend. But that was during my college days, and I had fewer things then.

Now I have been offered a job near Portland, along with relocation expenses. I plan to do a scouting trip shortly to locate my next apartment. My car is getting very old, therefore I plan to sell it in Dallas and buy a newer one in Portland. I don't have my friend around anymore to share driving, and Dallas to Portland seems a very long drive anyway.

What are my options? I own some furniture that I really like (bed and couch included), and want to transport it if possible. That also saves me from spending time to look around for furniture at my new location. Can I ship my stuff? Or engage a moving company? Will the last option be prohibitively expensive? Also do moving companies charge primarily based on amount of stuff to be moved, or based on the distance involved? Can anyone give a ballpark figure for moving things from a 1-bedroom apartment for 2000 miles?

Thanks for your replies and ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I own some furniture that I really like... and want to transport it if possible.
It's certainly possible and if that desire is adamant... then it sets the tone for everything else.
If you're going to have a truck or hire a mover then you don't have to discriminate or thin out.
You can take everything that you own (including the car)

Quote:
Can I ship my stuff? Yes
Or engage a moving company? Yes
Will the last option be prohibitively expensive? Very Likely
By very likely I mean that the cost to ship those things might be very close to and perhaps
even more than what those things are worth. Investigate that.

Quote:
My car is getting very old, therefore I plan to sell it in Dallas and buy a newer one in Portland.
Even old... a running rust free car from Texas will be worth more in Portland than in Dallas.
Consider dragging it along too and using that "devil you know" until you're settled in there.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
What are they offering you for your relocation? There are so many options you can figure out how you want to spend your money.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Even old... a running rust free car from Texas will be worth more in Portland than in Dallas.
Consider dragging it along too and using that "devil you know" until you're settled in there.
My car is almost 19 years old, and burning oil. Plus it needs suspension work. No way I can drive it far. It will be difficult to sell anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What are they offering you for your relocation? There are so many options you can figure out how you want to spend your money.
Relocation allowance is ~$8500 including everything.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
Full service movers charge by weight and distance. Most of the major van lines have weight minimums. Expect delays if you want to move between now and the second week of January because most over-the-road drivers take time off for the holidays.

Instead of fretting about the unknown, arrange at least three in-home estimates from reputable local moving companies. These will help establish the size, density, and shipping options that would best suit your budget. You can use this information to decide if it's worth it to even ship the bed and couch.

Do not shop for the cheapest price. Look for the best value. If your employer has offered you a relocation package, they may already have contracts with several national household goods carriers. If not, ask them which companies other employees have used.

Moving? How to manage your lump sum relocation benefit | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I suggest not moving the bed or sofa. With the relo money, buy new. Moving furniture costs a lot of money. Especially from Texas to Portland. Not worth it in my opinion.

But, I am a minimalist, and not attached to stuff.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
Look at what you have and "dump the junk". You would be surprised how much junk you can save over the years. Ship what is left, but consider buying a new(er) car now and driving. Take 10 across and then drive up the coast of CA. It's a beautiful drive and life is short...so see some of it when you get the chance. Only drive 8 hours a day, don't try to kill yourself driving, plan the trip, see some sights....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues