U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 4,816 times
Default Moving from Maine to Oregon in the winter

My husband got a job in Springfield, Oregon and starts the first week of February. We currently live in central Maine and are trying to figure out the cheapest and safest way to get there. We have a 21 month old son and I'll be 6 months pregnant at the time, so I won't be much help in the move at all. So far our choices are looking like this:

-Use a you-pack service (ABF), sell most of our (admittedly cheap and easily replaceable) furniture and our one car and all fly out, buy a new-to-us car when we get out there.

-Rent a truck and car carrier and have my husband drive and me fly out with our son.

If it were summer, the choice would be made because the second option is much cheaper and means a lot less selling/replacing of possessions. However, I am extremely concerned about the safety of having my husband drive 3500+ miles by himself through mountains and dangerous terrain in the dead of winter. Any opinions or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM

4,209 posts, read 5,863,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchelmarie View Post
My husband got a job in Springfield, Oregon and starts the first week of February. We currently live in central Maine and are trying to figure out the cheapest and safest way to get there. We have a 21 month old son and I'll be 6 months pregnant at the time, so I won't be much help in the move at all. So far our choices are looking like this:

-Use a you-pack service (ABF), sell most of our (admittedly cheap and easily replaceable) furniture and our one car and all fly out, buy a new-to-us car when we get out there.

-Rent a truck and car carrier and have my husband drive and me fly out with our son.

If it were summer, the choice would be made because the second option is much cheaper and means a lot less selling/replacing of possessions. However, I am extremely concerned about the safety of having my husband drive 3500+ miles by himself through mountains and dangerous terrain in the dead of winter. Any opinions or tips?
I drove from Portland to Mass in March 2012. You are right to be concerned about the mountains. There are definitely Mountains to cross and many of them. I was very fortunate when I left the weather was like late spring early summer across the entire country. I had originally planned on taking the southern route if the weather was bad. You have to keep close tabs on the weather. The most direct route from Maine to Oregon, would be I-90 or I-80 I-84 to cross the country. In the winter the weather is very unpredictable across that region of the country. Mountain snows and very high winds can come out of no where in that region. So plan accordingly and have alternate routes, even if it means driving way out of the way. I can't stress enough the very high and severe winds across the plains and mountain states.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 AM

16,344 posts, read 18,905,814 times
Quote:
We have a 21 month old son and I'll be 6 months pregnant at the time, so I won't be much help
in the move at all. So far our choices are...
to hire a pro mover for EVERYTHING and then fly yourselves (or stay put).

Quote:
Any opinions or tips?
That about covers it.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
to hire a pro mover for EVERYTHING and then fly yourselves (or stay put).

That about covers it.
We're already going to have to borrow the money it's going to take to get us there, there's no way we can afford to hire movers. And staying put isn't an option. We don't make enough money to cover our bills here, and he's been offered a very good job there, plus we have family there, and none here. MOD EDIT

Last edited by jasper12; 12-16-2012 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I drove from Portland to Mass in March 2012. You are right to be concerned about the mountains. There are definitely Mountains to cross and many of them. I was very fortunate when I left the weather was like late spring early summer across the entire country. I had originally planned on taking the southern route if the weather was bad. You have to keep close tabs on the weather. The most direct route from Maine to Oregon, would be I-90 or I-80 I-84 to cross the country. In the winter the weather is very unpredictable across that region of the country. Mountain snows and very high winds can come out of no where in that region. So plan accordingly and have alternate routes, even if it means driving way out of the way. I can't stress enough the very high and severe winds across the plains and mountain states.
These are exactly my concerns. Husband says he can go further south and be safe while only adding about a day to a day and a half of driving time, but I'm still worried. All told it would cost about half the amount for him to drive than to hire the you-pack service, but is it really worth it?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,312,288 times
Quote:
These are exactly my concerns. Husband says he can go further south and be safe while only adding about a day to a day and a half of driving time, but I'm still worried. All told it would cost about half the amount for him to drive than to hire the you-pack service, but is it really worth it?
Have you considered all the on-the road expenses (fuel, meals, motels, etc) of the Uhaul option ? When I made a similar 2000 mile decision, the ABF/fly/sell car option was basically a wash with the Uhaul option, when all expenses were considered.

Granted, the "new" car purchase could be an issue. I needed a newer car anyway.

Last edited by reed303; 12-15-2012 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Have you considered all the on-the road expenses (fuel, meals, motels, etc) of the Uhaul option ? When I made a similar 2000 mile decision, the ABF/fly/sell car option was basically a wash with the Uhaul option, when all expenses were considered.
We had considered that, and it was looking to be significantly cheaper, but after rechecking figures and reevaluating the route for a more safe option, it looks like we would be saving significantly less than we thought, so I'm hoping to convince my husband that saving $500 or so is not worth him having to drive for a week or more by himself in possibly dangerous conditions.
Did you actually use ABF reed303? How was your experience with them?

Thank you to Jimrob1 and reed303 for their helpful comments

Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 PM

9,594 posts, read 6,006,672 times
the weather in and around the Portland,Oregon area is already so cold and rainy and about to be snowy. Higher elevations and mountain passes already snowed in.
I suggest flying together. Cheaper to purchase a vehicle in Oregon due to the NO sales tax.

Good luck with the move. Hope you enjoy Oregon as much as I do!!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Cheaper to purchase a vehicle in Oregon due to the NO sales tax.

Good luck with the move. Hope you enjoy Oregon as much as I do!!
Good point about the sales tax. And I grew up in Oregon, so I'm definitely looking forward to going "home"!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:43 PM

499 posts, read 1,828,725 times
You're probably going to find your relocation options are limited because of where you're moving from.

To those involved in interstate transportation of household goods, Maine is the end of the earth since there are very few people who reside there and no through cargo corridors that don't involve Canadian customs clearance. That's only true for movers but also truck rental companies.

For years common carriers like ABF never even serviced Maine. Today ABF's only terminal is in Portland so the charges to provide you with a freight trailer or uPack container to the Central Park of the state are going to reflect their roundtrip expenses for two long trips.

Most of the full service movers in the state don't offer interstate mobile-portable container service for the very same reasons mentioned above.

Van lines agents who are DOD approved, however, will often reuse 200 cu. ft military Type II wooden liftvans or lighter weight corrugated liftvan containers of the same size to box up their customer's household goods and then ship them using either their own special commodities fleet or with a variety of common, contract, or rail carriers.

This is more expensive than using ABF's ReloCubes but only because these full-service movers provide the loading and unloading as part of their service.

Amtrak offers both passenger and freight service between Maine and Oregon. You might consider not only purchasing passenger tickets for your family but see if they can also ship your car. It's a four day, 75 hour trip from Portland, ME to Portland, OR by train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues