U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 15,050 times

Advertisements

I'm a young single guy in my 20s, not many possession but will have to ship some stuff to my new location. So luckily no attachments, but I just can't see how you can move and stay organized? I'm interested in relocating to a new city and trying to figure out how this would go...

1. Quit my current job
2. Pack all my possession and send them to a storage facility in the new city via moving service (Cost ~$2000?)
3. Move myself to the new city via airplane ("free" via reward miles on credit card)
4. Stay at a hotel while I look for an apartment in the new city (~$500 across a week stay? Or also "free" via rewards credit cards)
5. Sign a lease (~$1000=first month, deposit, application fee)
6. Move possessions from storage to new apartment ($500?)
7. Look for new job

Should it really cost this much to move? Anyone here successfully deduct all these thousands of expenses on their taxes for relocating?

I'm not looking to pack my stuff in a U-Haul and drive across the country. To me that seems like a waste of time and energy.

Most of my possessions are small personal items, the only furniture I would ship is the bed. I paid $800 for a nice queens size bed only about 3 years old now. Is it worth it to ship? Do used beds actually have resale value? Don't moving companies have minimums? Without the bed it might be possible to just ship everything in about 4-5 heavy boxes via UPS. But then I have got boxes sitting around that would probably still need to go into storage anyway.

How can I minimize the amount of time apartment hunting while staying at a hotel during the first week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 PM

281 posts, read 554,769 times
I'm not looking to pack my stuff in a U-Haul and drive across the country. To me that seems like a waste of time and energy.
quote]

Hmm what would you rather "waste" time and energy or money? Packing and hauling yourself is going to be the most economical route possible. Have you considered trying to get a job before you move? The expense of a flight or two to go interview may be worth it in reassurance rather than getting to the new town and having to stay in a motel praying you can get a job.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 PM

6,305 posts, read 9,479,168 times
Why don't you go to the new place and get an apt. before you move? Fly there. Use your miles to do that. Then come home, load up your car, put the rest in boxes to ship, sell the bed, and drive? You will already have an address to go to. You will be able to skip the hotel and save enough to buy a new bed when there.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 PM

11 posts, read 15,050 times
Doing the packing and driving myself does seem like an inefficient use of my time... I'm looking for the most cost effective and organized way, not necessarily the cheapest way.

Also I'm going from NYC to most likely the west coast. So driving myself or a uhaul would be a long long trip. I also don't have my own car being from NYC.

However, I do see a big advantage to flying ahead of time to get the apartment and other things I might need. I could nail down the lease for a new apartment as well as establish a mailbox to start receiving mail. Ship everything to the new apartment.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 PM

16,046 posts, read 20,426,124 times
You want efficient and cheap. They may be mutually exclusive. You asked if it shoud cost this much to move. Eliminate paying for things you can do yourself.
First, you need to have a job in the location you want to move too (unless you are wealthy)
Rent an apartment in your new location.
Second. Pack all the belongings that you cherish...the rest give away, or sell, donate.
Drive your car, packed up w/ your clothes, electronics (you sold everything else)to your new place. Save your reward miles for a visit home ( you may get homesick)
Save the moving fees, the storage fees.

Last edited by JanND; 12-21-2012 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,902,157 times
There are cheaper places to stay temporarily than a hotel. Also, what things do you have that you need to keep? If you're 20-something, it can't be much. Think about if it is really that important.

Otherwise, if you have money to support yourself while looking for a job then just go for it. Me, I'm moving cross-country soon but everything will fit in luggage. So I'm just hopping on a plane and going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues