Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,605 times

Advertisements

My husband is an English teacher, grades 7-12. We live in Texas but want to move to Richmond, VA. We don't want our relocation costs to be payed for (probably couldn't be anyway).

We feel pretty confused about trying at all--because the prospects seem a little bleak. One thing we do know for sure though-- we don't want to stay in Corpus Christi, TX for the rest of our lives, leaving the state would be nice. It's not terrible, we would just like to live some place where we liked it better. And we feel it would be a big mistake to leave w/out a job lined up. We've got children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
My husband is an English teacher, grades 7-12. We live in Texas but want to move to Richmond, VA. We don't want our relocation costs to be payed for (probably couldn't be anyway).

We feel pretty confused about trying at all--because the prospects seem a little bleak. One thing we do know for sure though-- we don't want to stay in Corpus Christi, TX for the rest of our lives, leaving the state would be nice. It's not terrible, we would just like to live some place where we liked it better. And we feel it would be a big mistake to leave w/out a job lined up. We've got children.
I hear you - I'm from VA, moved to CO, and am now trying to go to Richmond. I've heard a lot of people say it's hard to get a job from out of state, but I don't think it's impossible. Especially if you can move there within a few weeks. I know most companies wouldn't wait months for you to be ready, but if you could give 2 weeks notice, then give yourself one more week to get moved, that shouldn't be that much longer than it would take a local candidate to start. It can't hurt to try.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:41 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
I just did it. First thing is get a local area code phone number, I used a free google voice number and had that forward all calls to my cell phone.

Second, get a local address. I used a family members address.

Third is be honest. Explain your situation after you get on the phone with the employer. Say you are relocating to the new city, and will be staying with family.

Be ready for a quick flight to the new city for a job interview, and have plenty of cash to get there.

Getting my job in a new city took two skype interviews, and one in person interview before being offered the job.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 AM

281 posts, read 643,652 times
I am interested in this discussion as I will soon be working on getting a job out of state. I think it's kind of hard not to be honest, and I don't understand leaving your address off of your resume? I mean, if you are still working, your current job is listed on your resume and it will be obvious you are out of the area.

Also, regarding people who say why would someone hire someone out of state if they have candidates with similar qualities in the same town? Well, if that were the case you might not have gotten the job even if you were in the same town. I think you have to be that one candidate that stands out and the employer will not care where you are, if they want you bad enough, they will get you. What I'm saying is, I think thinking one didn't get the job only because they are out of state is just an excuse, they might not have gotten the job anyway.

The one thing someone posted I agree with is that an employer may worry that an out of state hire may get homesick after a short time and go back home. I'm just going to impress upon the fact I have family and friends in the area and am planning on a long-term commitment to my new home.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
I am interested in this discussion as I will soon be working on getting a job out of state. I think it's kind of hard not to be honest, and I don't understand leaving your address off of your resume? I mean, if you are still working, your current job is listed on your resume and it will be obvious you are out of the area.

Also, regarding people who say why would someone hire someone out of state if they have candidates with similar qualities in the same town? Well, if that were the case you might not have gotten the job even if you were in the same town. I think you have to be that one candidate that stands out and the employer will not care where you are, if they want you bad enough, they will get you. What I'm saying is, I think thinking one didn't get the job only because they are out of state is just an excuse, they might not have gotten the job anyway.

The one thing someone posted I agree with is that an employer may worry that an out of state hire may get homesick after a short time and go back home. I'm just going to impress upon the fact I have family and friends in the area and am planning on a long-term commitment to my new home.
It's not just an excuse. If 200 people apply for a job, why in the world would they give Joe Smith who is 1500 miles away a shot at the job? Even if he was more qualified, he can't come in right away for an interview to see if he's a fit. He probably won't be able to start within 2 weeks and anything could happen where he doesn't even show up because he's not local. Most places that are hiring, are looking to hire right away, not 30 or 60 days down the road. I have actually had hiring managers hang up on me or tell me "call me when you actually move here" as soon as they heard I wasn't local.

Getting a job is tough, and competitive. When you are not local, you are at a disadvantage. I'm not just spouting hearsay. I'm speaking from experience. I have moved several times like many. And although I know the odds are against me, I always try to get a job from out of state anyway, becuase it's a shot you still have to take. It's just more than likely not going to happen. I spent 2 years trying to get hired before moving to California, 9 months before moving to Chicago, etc. I can't tell you how many times I"ve been hung up on. Most of the time, it feels like a complete waste of time. It's not just an execuse, it's a reality.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
It has been really tough finding a job out of state for my husband. He finally landed a job and we are moving but it was through networking in his current job. In fact, all of his jobs since leaving the military have been through networking. He is in a high demand profession and has a good set of skills but trying to find a more senior level job through an online application process or cold calling a recruiter just wasn't happening.

We did take a trip to our destination city several years ago and he met with several recruiters in person. Although their interview went well, not being in the same state was definitely a disadvantage and the recruiters told him that. Out of sight, out of mind.

With this current job offer, his new employer is being quite flexible with start times. Although they want him now, they were willing to negotiate a bit. They gave him time to resign from his current job gracefully giving two weeks notice. And a bit of transition and travel time to the new state. He is very lucky that they are wiling to wait. Many employers would not be as flexible. For us, it has been a multi year ordeal finding a job. Really tough.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 AM

88 posts, read 132,175 times
I'm looking to move out of state too but I don't want to use the money I've saved up for the move to fly in for interviews that are just possibilities and not guarantees.

I agree with Ankhharu.. I've been told by two agencies (one in the out-of-state city I want to move to and another in a city that's a 4 hr. drive away in-state) that employers and agencies aren't going to hire unless I'm local because I can't be there the next day or within that week for interviews, and told me to call back once I relocate. I think this is true for most professions that are not specialized.

I would love to land a job before moving (who wouldn't), but I have to take my chances of trying to land something before the move because I have a child.

I'd think for most non-specialized jobs, we'd have to move first then look. Although, calls coming in just isn't a guarantee. That depends on how many qualified candidates there are in the job category you're looking into and the unemployment rate.

My question would be, how much savings is enough and for how long?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Flagging this thread so I can check back and read more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues