Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times

Advertisements

I got a lot of grief when I moved from Montana to Wyoming. The mentality in Montana is that it's bad to move (even though the wages were terrible and I couldn't make a living). Even though I haven't moved to a very different area culturally, it has been a great move for me. I like that Wyomingites are accepting of hard-working outsiders and they are realistic about the views of their state, unlike in Montana where they romanticize it too much. Whenever I go back to visit I am always amazed at how the people I went to school with are hanging out with people who are younger and younger as many of the people my age are past the partying stage. People also couldn't believe that I moved somewhere without knowing anyone and I think that is one of the most exciting things anyone can do. I loved that I got a clean slate by coming down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I totally cannot wrap my head around people who stay within 50 miles of their family, forever. They spend their weekends with their brothers and sisters, and parents, every holiday, one adult woman, refused to let her husband take a promotion, becuase she would have to move away from her parents.

Seems completely enmeshed to me. Come on already, cut the apron strings. Move to a new place, make new friends.

I suppose it is a value thing. Or something. I remember taking my son to boot camp, when he joined the Army. I dropped him off at the airport, and wished him well on his journey. He has been overseas twice now, stationed several places in the US, and has loved every minute of his life now...well, there was this one sargent in boot camp, he did not exactly, "love", but remembers him fondly when talking about the worst a hole he ever met...
Ditto Jasper12! I moved not towns but countries, or more specifically continents! It was the best thing ever happened to me. I don't think we can grow as individuals, spiritually and emotionally until we break away from our nest and develop our own identity in this world.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
This was something I had wanted to touch on in my "how old is too old to be living at home" thread in the Parenting forum.

I'm also a believer that moving away will help you grow as a person. I know people who have barely been out of their own state and they're perfectly content with that.

When I moved to OK, I was talking to a friend about it and she said, "What's down there?" It was such an ignorant comment. I told her, "The rest of the country, Chicago isn't the only place that exists."

I know one guy who has been in 9 states and if weren't for me bringing him to 6 of those states, he would've only been in 3. How can his world be so small? Not only is he comfortable staying where he is, he's even content with being 31, working part time in retail and living at home with his parents!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
This was something I had wanted to touch on in my "how old is too old to be living at home" thread in the Parenting forum.

I'm also a believer that moving away will help you grow as a person. I know people who have barely been out of their own state and they're perfectly content with that.

When I moved to OK, I was talking to a friend about it and she said, "What's down there?" It was such an ignorant comment. I told her, "The rest of the country, Chicago isn't the only place that exists."

I know one guy who has been in 9 states and if weren't for me bringing him to 6 of those states, he would've only been in 3. How can his world be so small? Not only is he comfortable staying where he is, he's even content with being 31, working part time in retail and living at home with his parents!
I couldn't stand the ignorant comments I got when I moved to Wyoming from Montana. In that state there is very much a mentality that Montana is the only state in the nation that exists. My relatives in Iowa are the same way. They not only barely leave the state, but they can barely go two sentences without mentioning the state's name. Even for me to go 8 hours away in a neighboring state with much of the same culture, I know I'm doing much better than had I stayed in my hometown.

I don't understand people who don't travel. Even if you don't have a lot of money, at least do short road trips. The world is too big to not try to see at least some of it. I also can't understand people working for minimum wage and living at home with their parents. What a waste.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,269,557 times
I moved from my city to another city when I was 18, then to another country when I was 22.

This week I'm moving for the first time in 20 years.

I've also lived in the country for a while, after being a city girl. I loathed it.

I'm now moving from suburbia which I've grown to loathe, into a very urban area.

You certainly find things out about yourself when you make a huge move, that's for sure...but mainly because it's a challenge. Living a firmly anchored life brings little challenge in some ways, but massive challenges in others, namely boredom.

JMO.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
The cemented mentality is no stranger to America, most of those I went to school with were adamant about achieving the adult life of their dreams right in the area where they began life. Small towns definitely foster this view wherein your successes are your defining parameters, and conversely, your failures are cause for social disgrace. In the big cities you can reinvent yourself at will, move ten miles and make new friends, work at a different job and be recognized for your current contribution not your history. At 67 I'm newly married and living in a place I had only seldom visited, it's the third move since my retirement in 07 and I'm actually adjusting quite well. Things change, people change, but the desire to deflect that natural order is a sign of insecurity for so many who look for reasons to hang on to the familiar..

Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
I definitely agree. Some people are just afraid to step out. I am moving from FL to CA in a month with no job or knowing anyone, but with lots of savings. Just picking up and leaving.

I do think I will learn a lot about myself. I'm sure things operate differently on the other end of the country, not to mention moving from a suburb to a big city. But I'm ready for it, mainly just excited to have a life and great experiences.

People here don't see any point in moving away from where they grew up. I don't get it.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM

200 posts, read 482,522 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I totally cannot wrap my head around people who stay within 50 miles of their family, forever. They spend their weekends with their brothers and sisters, and parents, every holiday, one adult woman, refused to let her husband take a promotion, becuase she would have to move away from her parents.

Seems completely enmeshed to me. Come on already, cut the apron strings. Move to a new place, make new friends.

I suppose it is a value thing. Or something. I remember taking my son to boot camp, when he joined the Army. I dropped him off at the airport, and wished him well on his journey. He has been overseas twice now, stationed several places in the US, and has loved every minute of his life now...well, there was this one sargent in boot camp, he did not exactly, "love", but remembers him fondly when talking about the worst a hole he ever met...
I'll assume you've never been to an "old" country, Latin country, Asian country, etc. And you should see what happens when a Vietnamese or Cambodian leaves their family at the airport to board a plane! Okay, it's not the U.S., and I'm like you that I can't fathom loving my family that much, but let's face it - family and friends are not a priority in our society. Therefore, it's easy for us to make the move.

Personally, I believe that every American who graduates high school should be required to live in another country for a min. of 6 months. If that happened, this country would be so different (in a good way).

Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I spent two years in Central Mexico. In Copper Canyon, with some folks who had never left their town. It was a great experience for me. I loved those folks. Their commitment to staying in one place forever.

That has not been my life. I have movbed, a lot. And I consider it a good thing. I am extremely motivated, to have upward mobility. That is my "value". All about money. I guess, I "embrace" American culture!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,283 times
Being born and raised in Montana all my life and now being a 32 bachelor into his 3rd year of being free after my first long term relationship ended, living in my own apartment with just my cat but still being in my hometown I was born and raised in, its becoming more and more apparent over the years that I need to move outa this state and town so I can truly learn and become the man I wanna be.

I'm hoping I can figure out the job situation one way or another and move to my dream city of Portland that i've been wanting to go to since my college days back in 2000. I've decided to put on all relationships on hold starting last year and having a good friend with benefits has been really helpful in making me focus on my personal issues and finances to get things squared away for a big move like this that i've never done before.

I guess also being raised in a comfort and safety bubble all my life and thriving best in that kinda situation makes it hard for a guy like me to push his limits when so many other people are able to hop, skip and jump around and thrive like that, but I simply don't. Wish I had had the outgoing personality that people that are extroverts are, but being a real natural introvert with OCD and some social anxiety that i've been battling with for years, it's been a challenge to make myself wanna change things, especially when I have a good paying, stable income, a safe and clean home, loving and supportive parents and a few close friends to keep my company.

But I just know deep down despite being scared and worried about becoming poor and not being able to have the finances to go do and buy the things I do know, I gotta move outa Montana and experience more of everything so I can shape myself into the man I hope I wanna become.

That being said, i've established pretty firmly that I am not fatherhood material and have no desire to become a father and thus, my dating pool is very limited in my homestate in general so moving to a much larger and more varied city will give me the chance to hopefully find a career oriented gal that also is not interested in raising a family, but wanting a partner for life to spend time with, grow and nature together and travel the world and have fun with someone special. *fingers crossed* Least, thats one of the benefits im hoping to find moving to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues