U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM

7,669 posts, read 8,962,222 times

Advertisements

Seeing some of these threads in this forum made me think of this. This is just my thoughts on this, feel free to debate, but I think there are two moves that everyone should make in their life. One is to move away from their small town. Even if it's just to go to college, a military stint, or just for a few years, I think it's beneficial to move away from your hometown for a little while at least. It's good to leave your comfort zone and make some new friends (not to say you can't keep the ones from your town). If you do go to college, I think another good move is to get away from your college town. It seems to me that many people I've noticed who stay in their college town don't seem to get over the college mentality. This is not to say a person can't go back to their hometown or college town eventually, I just think these are good for personal growth.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM

7,562 posts, read 9,411,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Seeing some of these threads in this forum made me think of this. This is just my thoughts on this, feel free to debate, but I think there are two moves that everyone should make in their life. One is to move away from their small town. Even if it's just to go to college, a military stint, or just for a few years, I think it's beneficial to move away from your hometown for a little while at least. It's good to leave your comfort zone and make some new friends (not to say you can't keep the ones from your town). If you do go to college, I think another good move is to get away from your college town. It seems to me that many people I've noticed who stay in their college town don't seem to get over the college mentality. This is not to say a person can't go back to their hometown or college town eventually, I just think these are good for personal growth.

Thoughts?
Have to agree here. It's really best for someone to leave their city of origin/upbringing for a bit, if only to see how the other half lives, or a way to avoid boredom and complacency. I've met people who have lived their entire lives in one city, and they seem pretty parochial..

No one is suggesting that you can't go home if the desire strikes, but it's still best to strike out on one's own. The experience will broaden you.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,005,473 times
I lived in a rural area most of my life - there was one traffic signal between my apartment and work (20 miles away) and it took 20 minutes to get there. I moved to a heavily populated area where my job is 17 miles away and traffic is so bad that it can take nearly 2 hours to get there! And the traffic lights in this city seem like they are 10 minutes long!

Although I'm not wild about this area, I found people at work (people who were perfect strangers when I first moved here) to be my friends that truly care about me and I about them. If I hadn't made the move, I'd never have met these folks. And while I'll have to leave them soon, they will forever be with me. They have impacted my life and helped me to be strong during a difficult time.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 AM

4,786 posts, read 5,324,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
No one is suggesting that you can't go home if the desire strikes, but it's still best to strike out on one's own. The experience will broaden you.

Very well said.

You learn so much moving away.
And there's nothing wrong with going back to where you came from.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM

20,070 posts, read 14,378,716 times
Just. Do. It.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,618,340 times
I totally cannot wrap my head around people who stay within 50 miles of their family, forever. They spend their weekends with their brothers and sisters, and parents, every holiday, one adult woman, refused to let her husband take a promotion, becuase she would have to move away from her parents.

Seems completely enmeshed to me. Come on already, cut the apron strings. Move to a new place, make new friends.

I suppose it is a value thing. Or something. I remember taking my son to boot camp, when he joined the Army. I dropped him off at the airport, and wished him well on his journey. He has been overseas twice now, stationed several places in the US, and has loved every minute of his life now...well, there was this one sargent in boot camp, he did not exactly, "love", but remembers him fondly when talking about the worst a hole he ever met...

Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 AM

414 posts, read 884,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I totally cannot wrap my head around people who stay within 50 miles of their family, forever. They spend their weekends with their brothers and sisters, and parents, every holiday, one adult woman, refused to let her husband take a promotion, becuase she would have to move away from her parents.

Seems completely enmeshed to me. Come on already, cut the apron strings. Move to a new place, make new friends.

I suppose it is a value thing. Or something. I remember taking my son to boot camp, when he joined the Army. I dropped him off at the airport, and wished him well on his journey. He has been overseas twice now, stationed several places in the US, and has loved every minute of his life now...well, there was this one sargent in boot camp, he did not exactly, "love", but remembers him fondly when talking about the worst a hole he ever met...
I think a lot of it comes down to family dynamics. I've moved away from home a few times. The first time was an incredible experience and a lot of fun. I moved back home for a bit, and then moved away 6 months after a couple family tragedies. Now that was a LOT harder and less enjoyable, but I honestly think I grew a lot as a person during that difficult time. Now I'm back in the "close to home" zone, which for me means within a (long) day's drive.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM

4,786 posts, read 5,324,877 times
This post really got me thinking.

Moving away, from where ever you're from, teaches you so much ; about yourself, other cultures, survival skills, social skills, independence, decision making, adapting, geography, climate, science, even different religions.. I could go on. At least this was for me.

This should impact a resume, as much as a bachelors degree, for example?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,957,114 times
I was so surprised reading the responses so far since I expected a lot of comments defending always staying in the hometown because of a variety of reasons. I left a small town of 2,000 when I was 20 years old to join the Air Force. I left overprotective parents and had never traveled far from home, never flew on an airplane and I was considered "shy". Well, turned all that around. Facebook comes around and I get to take a look at classmates that are tied to the area permanently and just how they really didn't evolve. Gosh, talking to my brother, it is like even at 51, he is still in high school simply by his attitudes, etc. We, our family, moved about every three years across the US since my husband worked for a government contractor and it was expensive but worth every penny! He left that job and we decided to do the "small town thing" and we were there for 6 years. These people bored me to death. They loved to gossip and talk about people and how they were in high school and everyone knew one another so they had to give you the trash on the entire family...................... We just moved to a new town based on programs offered for our son with special needs since he is an adult and he needs to set up an adult lifestyle for himself but after two months, I'm already to move again but have to sit tight until we get him settled. My dream is full-time RVing and retirement is only just a few years down the road, which is where I will be "down the road". And, this moving was so great for the kids too! The older one joined the military (now an officer with many years behind him) and travels extensively on TDY, the one that was afraid to get on an escalator and just stood there crying. I can't imagine what my life or the lives of our other family members would have been like if we didn't just get ourselves out there and live! Mountains, oceans, deserts, meeting people from all over the world.......................priceless!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,915,569 times
This post was needed. AT 40yrs. old I am in the midst of selling my house(fingers-crossed)and trying to relocate to Phoenix AZ from Charlotte, NC....I went away to college for 4 yrs. and made the mistake of coming back. Yes, gainfully employed, but just feel like im just existing and not living. Im thankful that Im in a good place to do this as I am debt-free with no kids....I have visited the Scottsdale, Phoenix area frequently for business and for pleasure. I honestly think its really the change that I so need. However, along with the life changing move, Im getting a lot of kickback from family and friends because I dont know anyone there.....but to me that is the beauty of it. Im stepping out on faith because I honestly think that Im supposed to be out there. Ever since I was small, I always imagined living out west for some odd known reason. The "west"always resonated with me. I've even been sending out my resumes to a couple of companies there and I've actually had a couple of phone interviews surprisingly...Personally I think that its "divine intervention" tryin to tell me something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues