U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 18,569 times

Advertisements

Hello my American friends!

So... as you already know, i am a Greek guy who is thinking of moving from his extremely beautiful/gorgeous/historical (but at the same time corrupted/collapsed/gone bankrupt) country to the USA. As it would take me a year to explain the reasons why this country is in deep **** and why i want to leave this place, i will just say that when you are 30 years of age, you live with your parents and you have lost your job (that is called ''no future here''?), then you have to do something to change your life; so i chose the United States. My thoughts are really too many, but i will stick to the most important. I ask myself often: ''Would it be easy for you to live over there, at the other side of the world?'' The answer is not easy, so i would appreciate it if you could help me have a clear and general view of the whole thing.

My no1 concern is the weather. As i live in a mostly sunny country, i am seeking a place where it ''feels like Greece'', i mean with mediterranean climate, moderate, with feeling of all the four seasons. After my little search, i have noticed that California is probably the best state to live at, at least in terms of climate. The climate is perfect for my needs and it has got pretty much geographical diversity: sea, mountains etc. So for me the geographical limit is Sacramento, Oklahoma or Atlanta, i couldn't live in New York, Chicago or Seattle, for the same reasons that i couldn't live in England or Germany here in Europe; i hate cold weather, rain and snowfalls, but in contrary i love sun and can stand hot weather easily. San Diego, Houston or Miami probably are the perfect cities to live at, not really as big and chaotic as LA but with nice climate and interesting places.

My no2 concern is the job. Oh that is a big issue for me, as i have worked here mostly as a freelance translator (from Spanish to Greek) and as a copy editor/proof reader (in Greek) for various publishing houses. So if i come to the US, i have to forget about my ''current'' occupation; no one would be interested in my experience and knowledge as a copy editor for Greek language over there... On the other hand, if i choose to live in California or Florida, even in Texas, the fact that i speak Spanish perfectly maybe could help me find a job to start with, until i find something better... Do you think that the fact that i am multilingual is indeed an advantage over there in the South? Or if i finally find a job, for example in an office, how would working life be? Would i have to work long hours or am i going to have enough free time? I've no idea about the american system, what is you opinion?

I don't want to write a lot. I have a few more concerns regarding the relationships between people, political beliefs etc. but i think these are of little importance compared to the basic ones i have mentioned previously. I guess that if i like the place and have a job, i will be able to find all the rest easily, nice people to socialize with, a nice flat and places of interest for me. It is true that there are many Americas inside America, every state or even a city could be a whole different world; there is ''Sex and the City'' America, ''Redneck'' America, ''Harvard'' America, ''Holywood'' America... a vast country where you can find everything... so if i decide to come, i would like to take the wright decision, the one that could help me integrate myself into the local society and won't feel as ''the stranger from Greece''.

I would appreciate if you could just say your opinion, guys. Any thought is welcome...

Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM

16,783 posts, read 25,845,337 times
Are you interested in areas with a large Greek community?

Speaking Spanish anywhere in this country is a definite advantage, however "Spain" Spanish is different from "Latin/Central America" Spanish - just different pronunciations - not a huge deal. Just something to be aware of.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 AM

8 posts, read 18,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Are you interested in areas with a large Greek community?

Speaking Spanish anywhere in this country is a definite advantage, however "Spain" Spanish is different from "Latin/Central America" Spanish - just different pronunciations - not a huge deal. Just something to be aware of.
Of course i am interested, probably it will be helpful for me. I know there is a large Greek community in Tarpon Springs FL.
The differences between the two Spanish types are small; i already know how to speak Latin America Spanish.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,751,922 times
Default A question for you...

You mentioned the large community of Greeks in Tarpon Springs in your last post, do you have any friends or relatives there (or anywhere in America)? Also, you haven't mentioned anything concerning a Visa or immigration, are you a citizen of the U.S. and you have dual citizenship?

You mentioned being 30 years of age, you live with your parents and you have lost your job (that is called ''no future here''?), then you have to do something to change your life; you are not alone as there are many 20 and 30 somethings here in the States in the exact same position.

Concerning where you want to live I think it should really be wherever you can find suitable work and decent pay in order to support the lifestyle you desire. Everything else will be gravy.

That's all I've got for ya!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,581,944 times
Kali Mera

Unless you have to be on the East coast, another alternative would be Southern California. The climate is similar especially near the coast. And there are many Greeks here especially in LA and San Diego.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM

16,783 posts, read 25,845,337 times
There's a large Greek community in Astoria, NY. Not sure the climate would be to your liking, but you'd be a stone's throw from NYC.

In native English, starting a sentence with "of course" is generally considered condescending. Good luck in your endeavor.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM

7,216 posts, read 12,655,064 times
I have the same question as HomeIsWhere..., which is, how will you be able to move here legally? Have you checked into that?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM

200 posts, read 395,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There's a large Greek community in Astoria, NY. Not sure the climate would be to your liking, but you'd be a stone's throw from NYC.

In native English, starting a sentence with "of course" is generally considered condescending. Good luck in your endeavor.
Twingles, I would ordinarily agree with you about the "of course", however in his sentence I didn't read it that way at all. I think it really depends on the tone of what is said. Here it's okay. As an ESL teacher, I think his English skills are quite fine.

Greek guy- The first question here is... how do you plan to get a visa which enables you to live here legally? I'm going to assume you already have this one figured out even though it's not mentioned.

I learned Castillian Spanish in Salamanca. I lived in Mexico for 3 years and a bit in Guatemala. I absolutely don't agree with you that the 2 espanols are the same. But if you already know Latin Spanish, then that problem's solved because you won't be using the Castillian here.

I also disagree with you that the politics, religion, etc. isn't of importance. If this isn't for a temporary one year stay, the mentality of the people in a region definately plays a factor into your liking it or not. I've lived overseas in several countries, so I know this first hand.

A thought I had was, are there any Greek communities in Latin America? If you enjoy doing the translation thing (and you can actually do it 3 ways with the English thrown in), why not try to stick with it? You could probably find some areas in Colombia and other countries where the weather agrees with you. Even the weather in Mexico City is quite agreeable. With globalization, you never know where the int'l companies are.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 AM

376 posts, read 555,347 times
I often travel through Athens as it has very cheap Business Class tickets to the U.S. (thanks to crashed economy) and always enjoy the ease of travel and the food there. Couple of thoughts:

In general, the rights between employer and employee favor the employer more than what you are accustomed to in Greece...a big factor in why more jobs here btw. Health insurance and cost of medical is a lot higher than what you're accustomed to. Jobs normally pay more in the US and housing is cheaper in most areas of the US than Greece.

Assuming you have a job at any of these locations here are some suggestions:
Houston or Dallas - you mentioned Houston and they have a strong economy and it's inexpensive as well. Hot and humid in the summer.

Miami/Tampa/Orlando - Their economy is not as strong as Texas but all probably meet your criteria and are reasonable cheap to live.

San Diego - Very awesome weather and beautiful city. But it's very expensive and wages don't make up the difference in cost of living.

San Jose - This is silicon Valeey and has great climate and highest pay in the country but also very expensive.

Atlanta/Raleigh - These 2 cities have a pretty mild climate and are realtively strong economy.

JMO

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,581,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
I often travel through Athens as it has very cheap Business Class tickets to the U.S. (thanks to crashed economy) and always enjoy the ease of travel and the food there. Couple of thoughts:

In general, the rights between employer and employee favor the employer more than what you are accustomed to in Greece...a big factor in why more jobs here btw. Health insurance and cost of medical is a lot higher than what you're accustomed to. Jobs normally pay more in the US and housing is cheaper in most areas of the US than Greece.

Assuming you have a job at any of these locations here are some suggestions:
Houston or Dallas - you mentioned Houston and they have a strong economy and it's inexpensive as well. Hot and humid in the summer.

Miami/Tampa/Orlando - Their economy is not as strong as Texas but all probably meet your criteria and are reasonable cheap to live.

San Diego - Very awesome weather and beautiful city. But it's very expensive and wages don't make up the difference in cost of living.

San Jose - This is silicon Valeey and has great climate and highest pay in the country but also very expensive.

Atlanta/Raleigh - These 2 cities have a pretty mild climate and are realtively strong economy.

JMO
Very true about San Diego at least. Which is why many live in South Riverside County and commute to San Diego for work. That can be a real pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or