Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times

Advertisements

Im not familiar with the trailer, but when I used a van, I backed up to the garage door so no one could squeeze in between the door & the truck. If possible, park with the door side of the trailer facing a wall & your car in front of it. Also, park in a well lighted area, either close to your room or close to the front desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,614 times
I stopped at a hotel when I moved to IL and there weren't any special parking spaces. So I parked across several near the back, and the lady at the front desk said my UHaul trailer and tow wouldn't be an issue. Also, when using a padlock for your trailer, get one that has a longer shackle/neck on it.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Also, when using a padlock for your trailer, get one that has a longer shackle/neck on it.

Ummm.....not. The longer shackle will make it easier to cut/wedge a breaker bar into and get better leverage.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM

38 posts, read 424,502 times
Does anyone have any tips for driving a Uhaul truck while towing a car behind it?

Im not sure either how that works since it is WAY over-sized for a parking spot, and am also looking for security tips!

I like the idea someone posted of backing up to a wall, but thats not so easy in my situation of haveing the large truck with a car behind it!

Also, I was wondering, might it be a good idea to buy those door/window alarm things that you get for your home, and attaching those to the inside of the Uhaul to possibly make it safer?

Thanks for yall's help!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
Check with the hotel as to their security measures. Many hotels out West have places for trailers and trucks to park. Make sure not to box yourself in when you do park those short Uhaul trailers can be a pain to back up. Use a padlock on the trailer door adn if you ar good at backing up then you could back it into a wall or other unmovable object like a pole so even if someone busted the lock they couldn't open the door. Also get a lock for the trailer tongue where it hitches to your vehicle. in the middle of the night someone could simply undue the hitch and make off with the whole trailer.
I have seen personal alarms used for hotel rooms where if the door is opened the alarm goes off maybe you could use one of those somehow on the trailer door?
I do think that with jsut a simple lock on the trailer door you will be OK 99% of the time, jsut don't stop at any place that feels seedy.
Good luck

Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Most hotels do not operate at capacity except during peak season so parking should not be a problem. Tell the desk clerk what you have and ask where the cameras are.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
We've driven u-haul trucks towing a vehicle from NM to Alaska and always found motels with parking for that large of rig. Remember, semi-drivers park in motel lots too.

Have a great move!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM

593 posts, read 1,794,782 times
They'll tell you where you can park safely...Once a Motel knows you're moving, they'll ask if you have any pets; so be prepared to pay extra on rooms...

Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
They'll tell you where you can park safely...Once a Motel knows you're moving, they'll ask if you have any pets; so be prepared to pay extra on rooms...
I would definately settle the pet question BEFORE checking in. Some hotels charge an extra pet charge and others do not permit pets. I have seen folks evicted because they snuck a pet in to the hotel.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM

23 posts, read 154,780 times
Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be investing in a decent padlock. Will uHaul give me one with my rental or should I look forward to purchasing one separately?

And yep, my hotel already knows I have pets. I'm staying in a La Quinta so no extra charges!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues