U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:03 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,950,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I would definately settle the pet question BEFORE checking in. Some hotels charge an extra pet charge and others do not permit pets. I have seen folks evicted because they snuck a pet in to the hotel.
Agreed. Not checking on the pet policy before checking in is moronic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 02:31 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,435,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2954Ellen View Post
The suggestion of backing up the trailer so it butts up against a wall is good. There will be no room for anyone to steal your stuff.

We put professional-looking signs on our trailer that said, "CAUTION: LIVE SNAKES" and never had a problem with theft.
I had that situation many years ago, i was driving a rented minivan a far distance and had to stop overnight, but had a tv set in the back, so i found a big huge bush and backed the car up against the bush, they would have had to steal the car to get the tv, i felt smart when i got up the next morning and the tv was still there!

Old 10-16-2016, 02:32 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,435,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zullyquirke View Post
Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be investing in a decent padlock. Will uHaul give me one with my rental or should I look forward to purchasing one separately?

And yep, my hotel already knows I have pets. I'm staying in a La Quinta so no extra charges!
motel 6 very pet friendly.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:28 AM

15,254 posts, read 12,492,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
I used to stay at hotels frequently on weekends for events and I have seen theives walking from car to car trying to open every door.

Choose a well lit hotel with front desk staff up front at all hours. Make sure you can park in front, and inform the staff to keep an eye on your vehicle, unless you are able to keep an eye on it yourself all night. Also, get a room up front so you can also watch it.

I would probably just sleep in a cab at a safe rest stop if I was hauling too many valuables.
Surely though the staff arent there to watch cars or vans out front... thats outwith their job ..

Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 AM

9,522 posts, read 7,777,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zullyquirke View Post
Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be investing in a decent padlock. Will uHaul give me one with my rental or should I look forward to purchasing one separately?

And yep, my hotel already knows I have pets. I'm staying in a La Quinta so no extra charges!
U-Haul used to have very nice solid brass padlocks available for purchase. I still have one around here somewhere. I suppose they still have something similar available.
In all my travels around the West, I have never had a problem. Perhaps I have just been lucky.
Have a good trip, and don't worry.

I just noticed that the original post was from 2013. Never mind.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:30 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,950,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
motel 6 very pet friendly.
If you find a clean one.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 1,837,438 times
We drove a 26 foot Uhaul from WA to TX and used this on the truck wheel:

https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL75-...476659359&sr=1

Old 10-16-2016, 09:03 PM

473 posts, read 323,213 times
Covering stuff left out in car with blankets or trash-bag pack stuff in back of car is very helpful. Doesn't look like anything to snoop while you are having a meal or getting gas. Some do just sleep in the car or Uhaul truck.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:06 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,219,694 times
We moved using a UHaul a couple of times. I did something kind of gross and dastardly. I wanted it to look like there was poop on the handle of the trailer, so I smeared chocolate on it. I stuck some grass to it so it looked like we drove through a cow pasture.
We never had any problems with anyone lifting anything out of the bed of our truck (just a tarp tied on) or the UHaul. Maybe we've just gotten lucky... or maybe my chocolate poop trick really worked.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 PM

722 posts, read 505,287 times
We never had a problem either. When we moved last year, a few of the trips were with a uhaul truck. One night we could not get the truck into our neighborhood. It was too snowy and ice packed to go up the hill (moved to Colorado in Feb. lol!). We had to park our uhaul at the King Soopers (Krogers) parking lot about a mile away and leave it overnight. We had a lock on it and I worried all night but everything was ok in the morning.

Best of luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues