Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,837 times

Advertisements

Hardware stores like Home Depot might have the bigger boxes you're looking for.

You can buy mattress bags at U-Haul stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
I always go to the liquor store for moving boxes. A lot of them have those cardboard dividers in them to prevent glass bottles from knocking into each other during shipping. Those really help when packing glass and fragile items.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 AM

255 posts, read 710,755 times
Walmart definitely has good, larger sized boxes to give for free when they are stocking shelves. Go to the home office section in the evening when they are stocking, and ask for some of the larger boxes that the furniture comes in.

Also, I have never seen a mattress packed in a box. Use a large mattress bag.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Those mattress bags are pretty slick. I just bought two from the storage facility and they work great. Plenty of room on the end to fold over and tape closed.

As for boxes, I got some really great produce boxes (mostly apple and pear) from my local grocery store. The produce manager is more than happy to set aside boxes for anyone, as long as they come in and pick them up in the evening.

I'm moving soon and I didn't have to look for TV boxes because I saved mine and stored them in the attic. All the packing material, too. (people laugh and call me a pack rat). I know what to save and what to throw away

Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I always go to the liquor store for moving boxes. A lot of them have those cardboard dividers in them to prevent glass bottles from knocking into each other during shipping. Those really help when packing glass and fragile items.
I too have gone to liquor stores to get boxes.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
You can also go to nursing homes and get some boxes when they have their medical supplies coming you would have to call them to see I imagine . But it is an idea and also look on craigslist alot of times I see people who are advertising free boxes on there because they just moved and they want to get rid of the boxes . Good luck on your move .

Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 AM

20 posts, read 37,949 times
when it comes to stacking(storage locker)nothing beats "banana boxes,they arent solid on top ,but very sturdy,find them at grocery outlets,supermarkets,goodluck!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You can also go to nursing homes and get some boxes when they have their medical supplies coming you would have to call them to see I imagine . But it is an idea and also look on craigslist alot of times I see people who are advertising free boxes on there because they just moved and they want to get rid of the boxes . Good luck on your move .
Thank you phonelady61 for the tip on boxes from nursing homes (I have used them myself and I have posted it here previously, as well). The boxes from nursing homes are clean (no need to fear bringing along any unexpected guests from the grocery store boxes), they come in various sizes, and some of them even have the handles on the sides already cut out for ease of moving.

My last move was all in boxes from a nursing home; quick tip, ask them not to break down the boxes and tell them that you will pick them up immediately. Once they break down the boxes for their garbage/recycling then you will need to restore them and buy lots and lots of packing tape. This way, just a tape-up or two will usually secure the previous taped carton.

Happy moving to ALL!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Once I bought some "moving" boxes. I was so disappointed though when they just sat there.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Liquor store boxes are also great for packing books. They are usually nice and strong and a good size for easy handling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues