U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,750 times

Advertisements

I used Penske for 2200 mile one way trip from Naples, Florida to Tucson, Arizona.

Penske had the best price for 22 foot truck with car dolly, ~1800 dollars. Budget was charging almost the same cost for 15 foot truck.

Unfortunately I experienced two different tire failures (within 50 miles) on this trip attributed to retreaded tires. I lost 8+ hours of driving time waiting for tires to be replaced.

I cannot recommend Penske based on my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM

414 posts, read 184,656 times
I used U-Haul, as their location is very close to my home. On the day the move was scheduled they told me the trailer I picked is not available! I have lost several hours trying to adjust/change the trailer. Had to move next day instead. I don't recommend U-Haul, based on my experience.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:56 AM

24,735 posts, read 23,697,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I used U-Haul, as their location is very close to my home. On the day the move was scheduled they told me the trailer I picked is not available! I have lost several hours trying to adjust/change the trailer. Had to move next day instead. I don't recommend U-Haul, based on my experience.
If people don't return their truck on time, then there's no truck for you. Happens all of the time.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,331,421 times
Default So Budget is bad, well my U-Haul Experience is bad too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric13 View Post
I reserved a one-way long distance truck from Budget weeks in advance and confirmed it the day before. When I went to pick it up, they were out of trucks. No apology, no explanation. There were other trucks on the lot but they wouldn't give them to me since they were "reserved" for other people. It was a Sunday, so most other local offices were closed and I couldn't get another truck. Finally, at the end of the day around 5p (my pickup was supposed to be at 8a), they gave me a truck that was smaller than my reservation. I had no choice but to take it and leave some of my belongings behind. They never apologized. To make things worse, 3 weeks after I dropped the truck off, a guy started harassing me for $400 for damage I supposedly did to the roof. Really, the roof???? I'm still battling that out with them 5 months later. Avoid Budget at all costs!

Month and a half ahead of my move I reserve a small truck and an auto trailer from U-Haul. Comes the day and no truck available. national help desk sent me 20 miles into the boonies to get what I reserved. Get there find a warehouse with an elderly woman behind a desk and the biggest U-Haul Truck, U-Haul rents, 26 foot capacity, about 34 foot long with cab, 12,600 lbs. In a pouring monsoon rain, I crawled under the auto transport trailer to hook it up. Whole thing about 50 foot long and burns gas. Couldn't get near a gas pump since the 12 foot high truck's turning radius wouldn't allow it. Also Georgia passed an law that a 12,600 lb truck wasn't insured under an auto liability insurance. Learned this after the move.

NIGHTMARE MOVE. Thanks U-Haul.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 874 times
For what it's worth: I reserved a 22' Penski and they had a problem, but upgraded me to a 26' free of charge (but it delayed things by two hours, and the 26' diesel was a lot more expensive to operate than the 22' I'd ordered). I've had 3 good experiences with U-haul, but due to a lot of anti-U-haul sentiment attempted to rent a Penski for my upcoming cross-country move. I need to tow my boat (a small, plywood boat that weights about 350 lbs.) behind the truck. Penski told me that attaching anything besides Penski equipment to the truck voided all insurance, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER DAMAGE HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH MY EQUIPMENT! I.e. if the truck in front of me kicks up a rock and dings the windshield while towing my little boat, I'm responsible for the damage whether I've bought their insurance or not.

Then the rep on the phone told me that's the industry standard for how insurance works. NOT SO!: I've spoken with U-haul and Budget about this and U-haul says their insurance won't cover your equipment, or damage your equipment does to their truck, but otherwise has no effect on the insurance. Budget says their primary concern is that you might try to tow something too big that will burn out the transmission (i.e. trying to two a 50' yacht), so if their agent at the local location can certify that what you are trying to tow is light enough (i.e. doesn't weigh more than a standard car), then it has no impact on the insurance.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 AM

4,774 posts, read 2,924,486 times
Penske for me the last two times. Keep in mind, they will negotiate the rate. Many are independently owned and value your business. I'm talking about all of them, not just Penske.

Anyways, Penske was the cheapest, If you're willing to move the drop off location they will make it cheaper.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:45 AM

2,068 posts, read 3,491,148 times
Penske! I've used all three and had the best experiences with Penske.

I will never use U-haul again. Even when you reserve a truck at a specific location you aren't reserving a truck at a specific location. They will freely change locations to somewhere else with very little warning as long as the location they choose is within 50 miles of your reservation.

I've rented from Penske multiple times, both local and long distance, and have never had a problem. Some Hope Depot locations now rent Penske trucks, so they are much more convenient than they used to be.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:19 PM

2,335 posts, read 7,732,913 times
I used a Penske 18' cargo truck for moving from Southern Cal to Tucson in November. They gave me a 10 percent veteran's discount in my quote.

When I arrived at the Penske store in Orange County at 9 am to pick up the truck, it was not at the site yet. I had to wait more than 1 hour for the truck to arrive, so that was the downside to the experience. To compensate for making me wait an hour or more, they reduced my rate by another 20 percent. That took the sting out of waiting. My total cost for truck rental from Southern CA to Tucson (about 500 miles) was $750 including tax.

The Penske truck was probably less than 2 years old. It was in good mechanical condition and drove smooth down the road. I had no problem cruising along at 65 mph. I would use them again if needed for a future long haul move.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:07 AM

74 posts, read 34,487 times
Upack, itís great and will meet you there

Old 01-12-2018, 06:40 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,141,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ0105 View Post
I am looking at renting a moving truck and a trailer to tow a car behind the truck.

What moving truck companies are best? U-haul, Penski, or Budget?

I am most likely going to rent a truck around 20 feet long.

Any advice?

Penske was the cheapest and best for us for us. The truck was clean and new and no problems at all with it when we drove.

We also used the code 001 (005 works too I believe) and got $200 off the truck. I paid $280 for a 20 ft truck from Naples, FL to Charlotte NC. Will probably be using the same company and code to do the same move backwards in Aug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues