Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times

Advertisements

Our house goes on the market in the spring, and I'm getting into the clearing out and packing up mode big time now.

"Clean and cleared out" shows better, makes the house easier to keep clean, plus moving will be that much easier with the STUFF cleared out and packed up. I've been buying the opaque plastic boxes when they go on sale at K-Mart or Home Depot. They'll store better than cardboard, plus there should be less breakage with glass and china.

Do you know of a good source for bubble wrap - large quantities at a wholesale or low price? I've found some online sources - any experience ordering bubble wrap online? So far I've found eSupply Store, Uline Shipping Supply, MoveOut.

Thanks for any info! Oh - if you ever need to de-stress, pop some virtual bubble wrap!
http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/popnow.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 11:29 AM

96 posts, read 457,892 times
Try Sams, Costco or Office Depot/Staples. Sumetimes other office supply places carry it. I may try the virtual bubble wrap site.... sounds like fun. Thanks

Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 AM

502 posts, read 2,295,910 times
I get mine at Lowe's

Old 10-03-2006, 12:21 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
lol..ok I had to check it out.
I remember as kids my brother and I used to fight over who got the bubble wrap.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Default Packing and Shipping Supplies

Check the Yellow Pages for packing and shipping supplies. These places will be vastly cheaper than office supply stores, which are outrageous, same for foam packing peanuts and cartons of all sizes.

I used to buy these for a non-profit group as I was the volunteer who picked, packed & shipped the model trains and books. I've shipped a lot of stuff for ebay too.

We got 14 cu foot bags of peanuts as low as $25 at a wholesaler of supplies in Jessup, MD, but had to go to the industrial park to get them. Two of these bags will FILL a mini-van. There were others a bit more convenient and a bit pricier. But they are in your yellow pages and you'll have to call them. Some don't want to deal with private citizens, maybe you can find a work-around for such cases. Ask for them for free on your local freecycle.org site in your town.

When we moved in 2005, we did all of our own packing. We got boxes from a website called U-Line and they were great. Hugely cheaper than boxes at the local storage yard or office store, and they shipped them to my house, yep, a 53-foot semi rolled up two business days later with my order. I got my own peanuts and bubble wrap at the wholesale place, but U Line could have sent those too I believe. They have EVERY box size imaginable, including all the dish-packs, dividers and etc used for packing stemware and china, etc. My wife and I have about 50 of those plastic tote boxes for office files that we use to store model trains, model horses and collectibles, and U-line had overpack cartons that fit all of our bin sizes perfectly, we just set up the box, slipped in the bin, taped it up and marked it. I'd go with them again if I were moving again.

Oh yes, if you do you own packing, you need lots of tape (we use about 50 rolls of the stuff) and several sharpie markers. Be sure to number each box sequentially, and KEEP AN INVENTORY FOR EACH BOX!!! I had 250 cartons of goods, and I kept an inventory, and I still know what is in any given box that is still not unpacked. Tape is cheap compared to busted/lost goods, use LOTS of it.

It's good that you are starting early. Very good.

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-28-2007 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Fix a typo

Old 10-03-2006, 01:09 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
When we moved in 2005, we did all of our own packing. We got boxes from a website called U Line and they were great.
Oh yes, if you do you own packing, you need lots of tape (we use about 50 rolls of the stuff) and several sharpie markers. Be sure to number each box sequentially, and KEEP AN INVENTORY FOR EACH BOX!!! I had 250 cartons of goods, and I kept an inventory, and I still know what is in any given box that is still not unpacked. Tape is cheap compared to busted/lost goods, use LOTS of it.
It's good that you are starting early. Very good. s/Mike
Thanks Mike! U Line was one of the websites I bookmarked, and to have a first-hand recommendation is fantastic!

I've moved many times over the years, and have always marked the boxes with the room they go in & the items they contain. Numbering the boxes to coincide with the inventory list is a great idea, especially since many of these boxes will be stored away for quite some time. I will surely forget what is where by the time I actually UNpack! Good tip on the tape - that always runs out quickly and even the plastic storage boxes with snap-on lids will need to be secured.

I tell you, after looking at the wholesale prices of bubble wrap online, and comparing to prices at a place like Staples ...there is quite a profit in bubble wrap!
Thanks again Mike! The voice of wisdom as usual!

Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
lol..ok I had to check it out.
I remember as kids my brother and I used to fight over who got the bubble wrap.
As KIDS?! I STILL do that! I love bubble wrap!

BUBBLE WRAP 4 EVA!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
As KIDS?! I STILL do that! I love bubble wrap!

BUBBLE WRAP 4 EVA!!!!!!

4 Eva!!!! Are you from NY?

Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,958 times
try u-haul or the ups store.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:06 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
If you are in NJ I can tell you a wholesale company I buy from, if you pick it up you save a lot.

E.L Baxter in Long Branch has the best prices. I use a ton of bubble wrap because I run several web sites and ship all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues