U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM

4,127 posts, read 4,761,621 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I decided to visit this and read the posts....I did move back to Denver in September and even though I still don't have a job yet I'm happy I'm back...

Sometimes I get angry with myself that I moved and now have to start over....but I guess I have to experience what I don't want to know what I want....I love Colorado and just today I saw a fox right over my back fence trying to get a squirral..while I was sitting on the porch drinking coffee...I could have never done this in Florida.

Keep the stories coming....and for people that are in states they hate...keep planning-the situation will come when you can plan your escape.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,895,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Hello everyone!

I decided to visit this and read the posts....I did move back to Denver in September and even though I still don't have a job yet I'm happy I'm back...

Sometimes I get angry with myself that I moved and now have to start over....but I guess I have to experience what I don't want to know what I want....I love Colorado and just today I saw a fox right over my back fence trying to get a squirral..while I was sitting on the porch drinking coffee...I could have never done this in Florida.

Keep the stories coming....and for people that are in states they hate...keep planning-the situation will come when you can plan your escape.
Well, in Florida, perhaps you could have your coffee and watch a gator try to get your neighbors Pekingese.
This is all different strokes for diFferent folks. Interesting always that one mans paradise is another mans hell
It's human nature to desire better. Don't be angry at yourself that you tried a new adventure.How awful to go thru life wishing and wondering, what if?

Old 02-23-2014, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,564 times
Dont want to start a new thread; would just like to touch on what has been said thus far.
I grew up in the North and moved South as an older teen. For years, I yearned to leave; anywhere but there.

Well we moved " Anywhere" ; this place being Charlotte. The money was not worth it. We left behind all we knew and thought we were up for the challenge. WRONG!!
It is beautiful but it is not home. I never used to think I had a home ( roots) until i left. My children are miserable, we miss our family and friends. Even the smallest details like a fantastic doctor, church etc were overlooked.
Anyone reading this, hear me!
Unless you are in an absolute hell on earth, it us very important to look at the details. Money is not everything. You must acknowledge what you have. ♥

Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 PM

4,756 posts, read 6,072,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5766 View Post
Dont want to start a new thread; would just like to touch on what has been said thus far.
I grew up in the North and moved South as an older teen. For years, I yearned to leave; anywhere but there.

Well we moved " Anywhere" ; this place being Charlotte. The money was not worth it. We left behind all we knew and thought we were up for the challenge. WRONG!!
It is beautiful but it is not home. I never used to think I had a home ( roots) until i left. My children are miserable, we miss our family and friends. Even the smallest details like a fantastic doctor, church etc were overlooked.
Unless you are in an absolute hell on earth, it us very important to look at the details. Money is not everything. You must acknowledge what you have. ♥
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I curious. What are you doing or what do you want to do in order to fix your situation? Did you move back "home"? I'm in Raleigh but am planning a move back "home" to California in a year or two.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM

5,678 posts, read 5,901,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5766 View Post

Excellent post!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,122,267 times
Yes, I have. I gave it three years and tried someplace new. I like it now. We are comfortable here. In the future? Who knows? Right now, we are enjoying it immensely.

I think that staying in one place all of your life is way overrated.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:33 AM

16,258 posts, read 10,262,399 times
Something to be said for both staying and moving. I've moved. and moved and moved.

Mixed feelings: while I don't regret the moves, I also envy people who have roots here. I will never have what they have.

Unless you're living on bread and water, I don't think money should be a reason to move. And even then look at the big picture.

That said, don't live your life looking back either.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,435,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This last summer, I ended up in Oklahoma City after three years of dead-end job searching in Charlotte. I loved living in Charlotte, I liked everything about the city. It just kind of fit me. Unfortunately, after three years I couldn't find anything more than a telemarketing job, so I had to do something. My parents had been pressuring me the entire time I was in Charlotte to move back home to Arkansas. Rural Arkansas isn't for me, so I decided to compromise with them and job search in Tulsa and OKC. I ended up finding a very good job in OKC very quickly, which I am thankful to have, but much of me really regrets leaving Charlotte, a place I loved so much. I could really rip OKC in this thread but I am not going to do it. Let me just say it doesn't match up when compared to other cities its size or even smaller. If you are over age 19 or 20 and not married yet you stick out like a sore thumb (In Charlotte it was not uncommon to wait until late 20s/early 30s for marriage). The culture here is such that I really don't have any options other than to spend all my free time alone, drinking, in my apartment. If I don't do something, this place is going to turn me into an alcoholic.

My plan right now is to work here another year or two and then try to get a job transfer or simply move. I didn't want to have to move again and am not looking forward to it, but it will probably be necessary for my sanity. A lot of OKC homers boost the city as being an up and coming place and great city to move to, and it may one day be, but its not there yet, and is a LONG ways from "there." I'll probably try to make the move down to Dallas or Houston by the time I'm 30.

My huge regret is letting my family convince me to settle for Oklahoma, and thinking it would come close to matching up to what I had in Charlotte. I didn't have a choice but to leave Charlotte for economic reasons, but I could have probably found a job in DFW, of course against my family's advice, and moved there instead. Has anybody else ever made a move that was unwise and regretted it? What did you end up doing about it?
I think you're having regrets of letting people tell you what to do, rather than the differences between cities.

If you decided on your own, with no push from anyone, you might feel different about this.

My theory about moving is that you always do it, always venture out and take a chance because the worst that could happen is that you don't like it and move somewhere else. Its healthy to branch out and move out of comfort zone, it helps a person grow. Its not big deal, move back if you don't like it and don't blame other people, it was ultimately your decision.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 AM

97 posts, read 79,674 times
"Immigrating to the United States was the worst decision of my life"

- My father

Old 02-27-2014, 01:25 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,122,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think you're having regrets of letting people tell you what to do, rather than the differences between cities.

If you decided on your own, with no push from anyone, you might feel different about this.

My theory about moving is that you always do it, always venture out and take a chance because the worst that could happen is that you don't like it and move somewhere else. Its healthy to branch out and move out of comfort zone, it helps a person grow. Its not big deal, move back if you don't like it and don't blame other people, it was ultimately your decision.

That's how I feel. Friends - and people on this forum - were full of reproach and hateful glee when they found out that my last move did not work out.

Some going as far as to say "And what do you want to bet that in three years THIS move won't work out?" As though hoping that it does not. In attempt to make me feel like a fool.

I don't feel the least bit embarrassed about the last move. So what?

The people who should feel embarrassment are those who never leave where they live and complain and bash it relentlessly.

Life is to short to live in a place that you hate. Move or shut up. But don't taunt others who are at least attempting to find an enjoyable and workable place to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or