U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,840,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beankeeper View Post
Oh my, yes. Long Island has got to be one of the oddest places I have lived or visited, but the locals think it's the bee's knees. The Hubs and I have been plotting our escape for a while now and are open to going pretty much anywhere, but it needs to be a carefully-orchestrated move because there's no going back once we leave here.
I hear you on the Long Island comment. For the locals, it is their slice of heaven. We are in the process of leaving NJ which has been in the works for 5 years and moving to Texas. My husband got exactly the reaction you did when resigning from his job in NYC. New Yorkers in particular can't fathom why anyone would leave the triplex and move to......uggg..... Texas. It is like we are moving to the moon. At least quite a few folks from NJ are sympathetic because they would like to leave due to our very high cost of living but are stuck here because of family. NC for some reason seems to be manys dream destination,

We are that the point of no return since he has quit his job, our house is on the market and he will be in Dallas by the end of this week starting his new job. Can't say that I will regret this move. I can't imagine ever coming back to this area except to visit friends.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,324,540 times
Yes, I regretted moving to Dallas & RAN as soon as I found a way.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 AM

10,761 posts, read 15,029,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I hear you on the Long Island comment. For the locals, it is their slice of heaven. We are in the process of leaving NJ which has been in the works for 5 years and moving to Texas. My husband got exactly the reaction you did when resigning from his job in NYC. New Yorkers in particular can't fathom why anyone would leave the triplex and move to......uggg..... Texas. It is like we are moving to the moon. At least quite a few folks from NJ are sympathetic because they would like to leave due to our very high cost of living but are stuck here because of family. NC for some reason seems to be manys dream destination,

We are that the point of no return since he has quit his job, our house is on the market and he will be in Dallas by the end of this week starting his new job. Can't say that I will regret this move. I can't imagine ever coming back to this area except to visit friends.

It is not unusual for dyed in the wool northerners to get prickly when someone leaves their "pack" and moves south. You wouldn't believe the ignorance out there and how people paint an entire state with a broad brush even though they've never been there ! My know it all brother in law says he "had enough of NC", "could hear the banjos playing over there" when I moved to the mountains of NC. That was because he spent a few months in basic training over at Camp LeJeune .... hundreds of miles away and 40 years ago. He has the Small Mind Syndrome not uncommon in the northeast. He also said he could never live in FL because he's landed a few times at the Miami airport to grab a connection to the islands; and when he looked out the window of the plane, everything was dry and brown. Duhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Make yourself happy. They are either jealous that they can't escape the stress of the northeast, or there is no hope for people who have never traveled anywhere.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 AM

60 posts, read 60,895 times
Move somewhere and regret it? Nope that's never happened to anyone ever.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 AM

106 posts, read 237,286 times
Moved back to my home state for a job and remembered all the things I didn't like that made me move the first time. Yesterday I asked my boss about relocating back to Phoenix since my job can be done anywhere as long as I have internet access. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 AM

4,780 posts, read 5,319,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmn View Post
Moved back to my home state for a job and remembered all the things I didn't like that made me move the first time.
I'm in the exact same situation!
Good luck to you!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,923,750 times
Moved to DC and been living here for 5 years. As my name states I'm missing Atlanta. I look forward to the day I find another job so I can get out of here. However DH loves DC and said he'd like to stay here for another 10 years!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:07 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Moved to DC and been living here for 5 years. As my name states I'm missing Atlanta. I look forward to the day I find another job so I can get out of here. However DH loves DC and said he'd like to stay here for another 10 years!!!
I'm in the exact same situation as the OP and am from Atlanta! I'm living in OKC, and have been here since September. I sure do miss Atlanta. This place is terrible. No reason for anyone to move here other than the cost of living and strong economy. BUT as a single man here, it is awful. Aside from the obvious terrible weather and having to dodge tornadoes, good luck if you're single! The available pool of women here are unattractive and have 2-3 kids. There aren't any women between 30-40 who have never been married with no kids. Absolutely none! As a 44 year old man who still wants a family, this is a nightmare. I have to try to meet a woman in Dallas and have a long distance relationship until I can maybe move there. So I'm with the OP, and will plan to move to Dallas in a year or two if my company will let me work remotely. I pray they will because its a great company. If not, I'll look in Dallas for a new position.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM

106 posts, read 237,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmn View Post
Moved back to my home state for a job and remembered all the things I didn't like that made me move the first time. Yesterday I asked my boss about relocating back to Phoenix since my job can be done anywhere as long as I have internet access. Fingers crossed.

As an update to this post, I have just been approved to work from home back in Phoenix. Moving next month! It's going to be very chaotic but it will feel so good to be back in Arizona where I belong. Like the saying goes, "you can't always go home" and that was definitely the case for me in Minnesota.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 PM

42 posts, read 117,628 times
We did. Now, 20+ years later, we still want to move away. However, I will say, we have gotten used to this place enough that we no longer feel that we "need" to move away.

After college, I moved to CA and my husband to CO. For both of us, we worked a couple years and didn't make much money and decided to return to school for more college. In both our cases, our parents now lived in TX. We met here. And got stuck here. I wish I never came here. My husband was OK here, but he always wanted to move back north. I always wanted to move back to CA. Every day here was a step further away from being able to move.

Now we are facing 2 children in college, 4 children at home, one has Aspergers, and looking at moving. My husband has a great job and telecommutes. We can move whereever we want, we just have to pay for it. It has been so long, I feel like I no longer even know what I want. Plus, with the children, I hear CA might not be the place for us anymore. Since he will earn the same regardless of the cost of living where we go, we need to look for something without a high cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or